Ok, here we go. I have been here a short time, and couldn't wait any more! Here's my story:

So I have been into car audio for about 15 years now, nothing exotic, just building for myself and friends, never competed or anything. I have only had a few ported setups and mostly went for sealed or prefab bandpass. Biggest setup until now was 2 15"s and 4" 8s all RF and Punch 45's, in an old Maxima walled off. Last vehicle was a Jeep Liberty with 2 Kicker 15"s in a huge slot ported box. Traded that for the PT and ran 1 15" kicker sealed 400w Hifonics amp, then 4 12"s sealed, same amp, never ran anything high wattage at all. Been accused several times of buiding big but mellow setups B) .

Then one day I discovered SMD while researching box designs and after seeing all Steves vids I came across Chicken's Hoopty! :wub: I can't say it enough times how much I absolutely love the look of that wall/enclosure! It's just amazing! Mind you when I discovered SMD, I had just finished my box for 4 12"s, and was pretty happy with it, only had it in the car for about 2 weeks, and immediately decided it had to go! :lol:

I have no idea what the acoustical advantages are to that design, but it immediately had some nice everyday advantages for me. #1 being that it kinda hides 8 subs in the center chamber, I live in Texas, so they are also protected from the summer sun, and #2 is that they are less visible for security purposes!

I had to have it!

Step one was to PM Steve and get his permission/approval to swipe his design, (looks only, I'll never have anything like whats in the Hoopty, Chicken, you really are in for a treat owning that thing!). So I expected to get a response from him saying "no" and "go away newbie". Much to my surprise, he responded with "Go for it!" :o He even offered to advise on it! THANKS STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: You are a class act all the way!!!

So, here it goes, The only probelm I ran into was not being able to tune it below 38 hz. Steve recommended I try for at least 35, but the guys at Hifonics said there was just no way to get it any lower with only 2 cu ft per sub, and maybe I should do less subs. I thought about shortening it for only 4 subs, but no way that was going to happen! I figure my sealed box rolls off -3db at 46 hz, so 38 has got to be better than that :D , even if it's not the magic 32. I won't be competing so I guess I should be ok with it. It's just for me! :P

Keep in mind that this is a very low powerd setup compared to what you guys run. Only 1500 watts rms to everything. Limited because it's a daily driver and I don't need more than that, and besides, PT's are tough to upgrade electrical. This will be just over 3 times more wattage than anything that I've ever had! The regular Hifonics subs only handle 300w rms each, too.

I had already run 3 layers of elemental designs edead, so it's pretty solid. Along with 3 new Crunch amps, I bought 2 kinetick batteries HC1400 and HC600, and you guys said to go 1/0, so I will.

I am working on a poor mans 3-way setup for the front stage, with Kicker ssmb6 midbasses in the doors, Peerless VifaTG9 3.5" in the dash, and Dayton tweeters in the sail panels with a 3-way JL Audio passive crossover. I also made a center channel with a Peerless Vifa 5.25" and another Dayton tweeter getting 200hz and up 4k for teh tweeter. The rear footwells are getting Kicker ssmb8 8" midbasses in small sealed boxes and Kicker 4" coaxials for "fill", plus the enclosres for these can hide some other wiring.

I have a friend/pro installer/ex IASCA judge that is also advising me. He has an RTA, that we can use for getting everything to sound decent. I don't see myself getting it metered, but would for fun, if I could. 120ish would be nice :P .

Everything is controlled by an Alpine 9856, with XM and Ipod, through a Soundstream PQ-7 eq, and a good old fashion bass knob to keep the subs under control.

The enclosure is getting LED lighting, and maybe some mirrors like Steve did in the Hoopty, but they will cost me $120, so they have to wait :D .

So here is my "Micro Hoopty" tribute to Steve and Chicken. I call it micro hoopty cause it'll be about as loud as Steves alarm clock radio, (if he has not modded that yet)! :P

It'll be well into next month before I get it actully up and running.

Please post what you think, any advice, ..........oh and keep the "underpowered" posts to yourself! :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks like the box in Chickens catty

Ummm, like I posted above:

Step one was to PM Steve and get his permission/approval to swipe his design, (looks only, I'll never have anything like whats in the Hoopty) -- So I expected to get a response from him saying "no" and "go away newbie". Much to my surprise, he responded with "Go for it!" He even offered to advise on it! THANKS STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

very good start can't wait to see this finished

Do you read ur own response b4 you post?...or just type ur gut reaction and headbutt the enter key? :blink:

How bout this, the Caddy sounds so damn good it can put a smile on a "deaf mans" face :)

mat then mix hardener into resin and soak mat. beeeeeyaw glassing for n00bs

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

Ok, these are the last for now. I ended up painting it with rattle can black bedliner spray, then did that 'feaux finish sea sponge method' with some Ralph Lauren river rock paint (It's a rough grey color that matches my interior exactly! Just got all the subs in this afternoon, have to wire them before the back goes on-- so I can get my hands in there!

Also added the LED tubes, I will need to work on hiding the wiring, though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for all the positive posts! :blush:

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Archived