Sonic Electronix
Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shop Tune my amp wrong

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

Brenton1

Brenton1

125db

• Members
  • 155 posts
I went to the shop they tune my shit wrong. Ok they had my boast 35%, gain 45%,sub level on hu +15,subsonic at 40 hz. Before I bring it to the shop I set myI gain 45% LPf 25% subsonic 30hz and phase,boast 0 %.if I turn my subsonic too 0 or 25% will it hit the lows? Box is at 32hz and my friend told me, it will kill the lows if the subsonic 0%. What y'all guys think??

Edited by Brenton1, 27 February 2011 - 08:56 PM.

MrSkippyJ

MrSkippyJ

175db

• SMD Gold Member

• 6,862 posts
what?

THEKINGsBACK

THEKINGsBACK

155db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 2,120 posts
whatever your tryin to say.. say it in complete sentences. this is very hard to read. only thing i understand is that ur settings were tuned incorrectly

he wouldnt be the first to say they did a 167 with a system like that (one that clearly DOESNT), but i have to say, he didnt beat me anywhere, ive never competed against the guy. If he thinks his does a 167, mine would probably put him in a coma. :hairtrick:

ant the ninja

ant the ninja

135db

• Members

• 537 posts
:shrug:
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Front Stage: Crescendo CCX 6.5's

Rear Stage: ???
Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d
Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

CJ18

CJ18

System of the Month Winner November '11

• Authorized Member Seller

• 12,521 posts
Im working on understanding exactly what you are asking.....

First off you dont look at any of the filters/gain as percentages. Your subsonic filter should be set at about 28hz and your low pass should be about 75hz. Your HU should be tuned with an Oscope properly to not send a clipped signal to the amp through the RCAs. Your gain should be set with an Oscope as well to match your RCA input voltage. THE GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME KNOB!!!!!

You dont just turn the gain and bass boost knobs up to half way, thats not how it works. The gains and bass boost knobs are meant to set the amp to match the voltage input from the RCAs. When you see an amps sensitivity rating of 200mv-6v, that means that if the rca voltage is 6v then you DONT NEED ANY GAIN. The gain knob is ONLY meant to match the RCA input voltage.

I suggest finding someone on here that is close to you that knows how to properly tune a system and ask for help.

SMD Authorized Member Seller

SMD Super Seller

Authorized Online Dealer

DC Audio

Sky High Car Audio

XS Power

CE Auto Electric Supply

SMD

D'Amore Engineering

www.droppinhzcaraudio.com

email- [email protected]

codysignature_zps808a7901.jpg

Brenton1

Brenton1

125db

• Members
  • 155 posts

Im working on understanding exactly what you are asking.....

First off you dont look at any of the filters/gain as percentages. Your subsonic filter should be set at about 28hz and your low pass should be about 75hz. Your HU should be tuned with an Oscope properly to not send a clipped signal to the amp through the RCAs. Your gain should be set with an Oscope as well to match your RCA input voltage. THE GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME KNOB!!!!!

You dont just turn the gain and bass boost knobs up to half way, thats not how it works. The gains and bass boost knobs are meant to set the amp to match the voltage input from the RCAs. When you see an amps sensitivity rating of 200mv-6v, that means that if the rca voltage is 6v then you DONT NEED ANY GAIN. The gain knob is ONLY meant to match the RCA input voltage.

I suggest finding someone on here that is close to you that knows how to properly tune a system and ask for help.

My RCA is 6v cause I have a alpine processor too.. I turn my gain 45% and my subfilter to ya 28-30hz and LPF like 25%. Hu sublevel like 0 be ok? It goes to 15 and no one had a oscope

tacomabanga1986

tacomabanga1986

Find em hot, Leave em wet

• 18+ All Access!
  • 5,529 posts
damn i wish rf and steve would come out with that thing so we can help these people out with setting stuff and ied like to set mine but i aint got an oscope so i just do the best i can atm

with 6.5v preouts would that be at full gain on the headunit for like front and rear rcas or i dunno, i'll just wait till the smd clean tester thingy is out
here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp
here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car
heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit
Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Brenton1

Brenton1

125db

• Members
  • 155 posts
My cd player put out 6V so ur saying my gain should be 0? Cause my amp getting 6V threw my RCA

tacomabanga1986

tacomabanga1986

Find em hot, Leave em wet

• 18+ All Access!
  • 5,529 posts

My cd player put out 6V so ur saying my gain should be 0? Cause my amp getting 6V threw my RCA

my headunit has gains built in for every rca output, not just sub, i dunno how the new alpine stuff works but mines an oldschool pioneer deck with digital xover kinda like a 360 or imprint type deal

sorry if u miss understood
here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp
here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car
heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit
Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Brenton1

Brenton1

125db

• Members
  • 155 posts

my headunit has gains built in for every rca output, not just sub, i dunno how the new alpine stuff works but mines an oldschool pioneer deck with digital xover kinda like a 360 or imprint type deal

Naw ur ok. I have a alpine imprint too with my alpine cda-105 so my amp get 6V threw RCA. I was going to turn my gain up to bout 45% up with my subsonic at 30hz or 28 hz.

bobonit

bobonit

145db

• SMD Gold Member

• 1,447 posts

Naw ur ok. I have a alpine imprint too with my alpine cda-105 so my amp get 6V threw RCA. I was going to turn my gain up to bout 45% up with my subsonic at 30hz or 28 hz.

Alpine Imprint only has 4v preouts, just saying. You are not getting 6v out of it.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

Build Log

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Brenton1

Brenton1

125db

• Members
  • 155 posts

Alpine Imprint only has 4v preouts, just saying. You are not getting 6v out of it.

My alpine hu put out 2V so total of 6V.

General

General

130db

• UBL Approved Group

• 427 posts
Forget the pre-out Voltage...

I've just one easy question:
Why do you think they tuned your amplifier wrong?

Posted Image
______Some people and performances are beyond words______

Chairman of the foundation "Propper-Droppers Holland" 2012

Founder of the European delegation of `Propper-Droppers' 2011

Dutch Champion EMMA SQ MultiMedia advanced 2010
European Champion EMMA SQ experienced 5 channel 2007
Dutch Champion EMMA SQ experienced 5 channel 2007
BeNeLux vice Champion dB-drag street-A 2007
Dutch vice Champion dB-drag ministreet-sedan 2004

Propper Droppers is about deep, ground wobbling, elephant-and-whale stimulating Street Bass.

The deep stuff. We test at different frequencies from deep, to low to snake’s belly. (Like 20Hz anyone?)

bobonit

bobonit

145db

• SMD Gold Member

• 1,447 posts

It doesn't work that way.

Couple of questions for you.

1. The 2v Preouts are referring to the RCA connections, not the AiNET connection. Are you connecting the Imprint to the RCA's on your headunit for some reason or are you using the AiNET connection?

2. Even if you were connecting to the 2V preouts, you don't just add up the voltages. Whatever the preout voltage on your processor is, thats what it is. It doesn't just add together as if they were batteries in series. Its the same as an amplifier. With your logic, your amp will put out more power if it has a higher input signal which is not true.

You have 4v Preouts, not 6v.

97 Maxima SE

Build Log

CJ18

CJ18

System of the Month Winner November '11

• Authorized Member Seller

• 12,521 posts
Do you know how to test to see what you RCA voltage actually is?

SMD Authorized Member Seller

SMD Super Seller

Authorized Online Dealer

DC Audio

Sky High Car Audio

XS Power

CE Auto Electric Supply

SMD

D'Amore Engineering

www.droppinhzcaraudio.com

email- [email protected]

codysignature_zps808a7901.jpg

Brenton1

Brenton1

125db

• Members
  • 155 posts

It doesn't work that way.

Couple of questions for you.

1. The 2v Preouts are referring to the RCA connections, not the AiNET connection. Are you connecting the Imprint to the RCA's on your headunit for some reason or are you using the AiNET connection?

2. Even if you were connecting to the 2V preouts, you don't just add up the voltages. Whatever the preout voltage on your processor is, thats what it is. It doesn't just add together as if they were batteries in series. Its the same as an amplifier. With your logic, your amp will put out more power if it has a higher input signal which is not true.

You have 4v Preouts, not 6v.

Thanks the damn alpine dealer told me 6V cause of the imprint. Ok so I got 4V ok. And I was gonna buy a 4V line driver but he said the imprint would be way better and u get more eq on ur hu..thanks man ur helping alot.

Brenton1

Brenton1

125db

• Members
  • 155 posts

How? I have a dmm. Put it on 200V on my dmm?

bobonit

bobonit

145db

• SMD Gold Member

• 1,447 posts

Depending on your DMM, you want to choose AC Voltage. If it is autoranging, that is all you need. If it is not, choose a setting that is close to but higher than 4v. Put the positive probe on the inside RCA connector and the negative on either ground or the outside connector. Turn the volume up and you should see how high the voltage goes. Now to see clipping, you should really find someone that has an Oscope. Maybe there is an SMD member with one that is near you?

97 Maxima SE

Build Log

General

General

130db

• UBL Approved Group

• 427 posts
Thank you for ignoring my reply at your openingspost.

Posted Image
______Some people and performances are beyond words______

Chairman of the foundation "Propper-Droppers Holland" 2012

Founder of the European delegation of `Propper-Droppers' 2011

Dutch Champion EMMA SQ MultiMedia advanced 2010
European Champion EMMA SQ experienced 5 channel 2007
Dutch Champion EMMA SQ experienced 5 channel 2007
BeNeLux vice Champion dB-drag street-A 2007
Dutch vice Champion dB-drag ministreet-sedan 2004

Propper Droppers is about deep, ground wobbling, elephant-and-whale stimulating Street Bass.

The deep stuff. We test at different frequencies from deep, to low to snake’s belly. (Like 20Hz anyone?)

Brenton1

Brenton1

125db

• Members
  • 155 posts

Depending on your DMM, you want to choose AC Voltage. If it is autoranging, that is all you need. If it is not, choose a setting that is close to but higher than 4v. Put the positive probe on the inside RCA connector and the negative on either ground or the outside connector. Turn the volume up and you should see how high the voltage goes. Now to see clipping, you should really find someone that has an Oscope. Maybe there is an SMD member with one that is near you?

Thanks and I'll do that soon as I get home.. Tell u the results and I'm put my sub level at 0 the shop had it at +15. I'm be safe and tune my amp like my buddy Andrew Bailey said he good about audio. I'm buy one. Were can I find one and what kind I need? What price I'm looking at? Thinks.