Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Second Battery In My Tahoe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

RickyFriery97

RickyFriery97

170db

• UBL Approved Group

• 5,139 posts
Alright So i Got a 2007 tahoe and it has a second battery tray where i will be putting a D3400
im gunna be dooing a simple build in it with (4) DC level 2 8"s on a AQ2200D
It has a stock 160 amp alt
my question is do yal think i should do the big three to both? the Amps power/ground will come straight off the D3400
The vehicle has RVC
none of the system will be ran off the stock batt so i dont think i need to do the big three too it
2012 GMC Sierra Z71 All Terrain (Daily) 1994 Chevy 2 Door Blazer 9" lift on 38s (Project)

BakermanINC

BakermanINC

150db

• SMD Gold Member

• 1,525 posts
Okay, on your main battery, the one on the passenger side im guessing, do your big 3 as normal. Ground to the frame, engine, and positive to the alt. On your second battery, you will do the two grounds as normal. But don't put one to the alternator...you could get voltage problems and end up frying the alt. I learned this the hard way on my tahoe. Just run your positive on your second batt to the positive on your first batt.

20159c35-2d5a-426e-88ad-3c3446e22aec.jpg

PUNKYOU007

PUNKYOU007

WEAKSAUSE COMPANY OWNER

• 18+ All Access!

• 5,347 posts
So you had problems by running multiple runs to multiple batteries straight from the alt? I have five batteries and 4 runs of 1/0. ONe run to my main batt, one run to my two HC800s and one run per HC2400....never had any issues. I am sorry for jacking your thread OP but just wondering what problems baker got.

I would have told the OP its fine. They are all common points anyway.

Posted Image

Doethepaperboy "Bars of Pain"

Doethepaperboy "Hero Remix"

C. Arson

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

RickyFriery97

RickyFriery97

170db

• UBL Approved Group

• 5,139 posts

Okay, on your main battery, the one on the passenger side im guessing, do your big 3 as normal. Ground to the frame, engine, and positive to the alt. On your second battery, you will do the two grounds as normal. But don't put one to the alternator...you could get voltage problems and end up frying the alt. I learned this the hard way on my tahoe. Just run your positive on your second batt to the positive on your first batt.

yes the stock battery is up by the firewall and is gunna be a pain in the ass to work with
why do you say it could fry the alt? puttin to much stress on a stock alt?
on my burban i have two runs of 1/0 coming of the back of my alt one two each of my D3400 under the hood with no problems (but its a 300 amp alt.. )
2012 GMC Sierra Z71 All Terrain (Daily) 1994 Chevy 2 Door Blazer 9" lift on 38s (Project)

RickyFriery97

RickyFriery97

170db

• UBL Approved Group

• 5,139 posts

So you had problems by running multiple runs to multiple batteries straight from the alt? I have five batteries and 4 runs of 1/0. ONe run to my main batt, one run to my two HC800s and one run per HC2400....never had any issues. I am sorry for jacking your thread OP but just wondering what problems baker got.

I would have told the OP its fine. They are all common points anyway.

i was asking him this two because i have two runs of the back of my alt to two seperat batts with no problems so im wondering too

n8ball2013

n8ball2013

Don't blame me for your stupidity

• Super Moderator

• 31,684 posts
im going to have dual batts under the hood and dual alts. with the big 3 done on both............ IJS.
THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!
1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab
Alpine CDA-9887
4 Digital Designs 9515
4 Orion 2500d
Orion 8004
3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets
Dual 300 amp Iraggi Alts
8 Optima yellow tops
Second Skin
Stinger
Tsunami Wiring
A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

RickyFriery97

RickyFriery97

170db

• UBL Approved Group

• 5,139 posts

im going to have dual batts under the hood and dual alts. with the big 3 done on both............ IJS.

i will have the same on my 1997 burb witch is the same as your truck almost
dual 300 amp iraggi alts and two D3400 in my suburban

this is in my 2007 tahoe though and nothing except the stock electronics will be ran off the stock batt
the D3400 will run a single AQ2200D and that will be the only amp in the truck (for now)
so i think doing the big three on only the D3400 will be fine as thats the only batt running the amp i just want some opinions
the stock batt is up by they fire wall and will be a major PITA to do the big three on

BakermanINC

BakermanINC

150db

• SMD Gold Member

• 1,525 posts

yes the stock battery is up by the firewall and is gunna be a pain in the ass to work with
on my burban i have two runs of 1/0 coming of the back of my alt one two each of my D3400 under the hood with no problems (but its a 300 amp alt.. )

Well, they are common points, true. But here is my reasoning. When you have a run from alt. to batt 1 to batt 2, the alternator charges them in sequence. For example, the alt will charge your main battery first...then when it is charged, it will move on to your bank battery and charge it. This means that it may take longer to fully charge both batteries, but it will be a safe and consistent draw from your "STOCK" alternator. Now, if you have a run from your alt directly to each battery, then your alternator is having to work double to keep a charge on both of those batteries at the same time. It would take half the time to charge the two batteries, but like i said, your alt is trying to charge them both at one time, therefore it is working hard. If you take into equation both batts are drained one morning, you get in the hoe, and start bumping, then you got even more strain on that "STOCK" alternator...making more chances for magic smoke. This is just my reasoning behind all this...if someone sees flaws in it, please correct me...don't eat me alive.

20159c35-2d5a-426e-88ad-3c3446e22aec.jpg

RickyFriery97

RickyFriery97

170db

• UBL Approved Group

• 5,139 posts

Well, they are common points, true. But here is my reasoning. When you have a run from alt. to batt 1 to batt 2, the alternator charges them in sequence. For example, the alt will charge your main battery first...then when it is charged, it will move on to your bank battery and charge it. This means that it may take longer to fully charge both batteries, but it will be a safe and consistent draw from your "STOCK" alternator. Now, if you have a run from your alt directly to each battery, then your alternator is having to work double to keep a charge on both of those batteries at the same time. It would take half the time to charge the two batteries, but like i said, your alt is trying to charge them both at one time, therefore it is working hard. If you take into equation both batts are drained one morning, you get in the hoe, and start bumping, then you got even more strain on that "STOCK" alternator...making more chances for magic smoke. This is just my reasoning behind all this...if someone sees flaws in it, please correct me...don't eat me alive.

you make a very good point and i understand
its harder to charge both batts when you run a charge line to each seperate batt on a STOCK alt

RickyFriery97

RickyFriery97

170db

• UBL Approved Group

• 5,139 posts
But it's a larger stock alt it's 160 amp so I'm thinking do the big three on both and connect positive to positive and maybe the same with negative

AMI CUSTOMS

AMI CUSTOMS

SoundQubed Expert

• SMD Gold Member

• 4,487 posts
Posted Image

That is on my sierra, should be same as your tahoe, did one ground to the firewall and then parallel runs of power and ground to the other battery in the stock location. That is all you need.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED 

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

2x SB4 World Record Holder - 160.8 db (Outlaw)  158.1 db (LEGAL)

2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db

2013 MidwestSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4

2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MidwestSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db

Best score to date 162.8 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 160.2 db

Sealed on dash Legal 159.2 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

RickyFriery97

RickyFriery97

170db

• UBL Approved Group

• 5,139 posts

Posted Image

That is on my sierra, should be same as your tahoe, did one ground to the firewall and then parallel runs of power and ground to the other battery in the stock location. That is all you need.

yup except that is where my stock battery is
im gunna do the big three to both batteries
all the electrical under the hood is stock right now

snafu

snafu

SMD Sales & Marketing

• SMD PARTNER

• 1,631 posts

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. Think about this for a second. You have two glasses, both empty and desire to fill them. You can do this one of two ways:
1. Set them side by side, under a funnel with two outlets - one into each glass. You pour water into the funnel and half of it is directed into each glass.
2. Connect each glass together at the bottoms with a 10 foot long tube that runs between the two - as in between them at the VERY bottom. The bottoms of both glasses are at the exact same height and the tube between them is absolutely level. You pour water only into one glass at the same rate as above.

Which will fill the glasses faster? Will one glass fill quicker than the other in either example.

Sometimes it is easy to grasp fundamentals like this when you use water analogies.

RickyFriery97

RickyFriery97

170db

• UBL Approved Group

• 5,139 posts

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. Think about this for a second. You have two glasses, both empty and desire to fill them. You can do this one of two ways:
1. Set them side by side, under a funnel with two outlets - one into each glass. You pour water into the funnel and half of it is directed into each glass.
2. Connect each glass together at the bottoms with a 10 foot long tube that runs between the two - as in between them at the VERY bottom. The bottoms of both glasses are at the exact same height and the tube between them is absolutely level. You pour water only into one glass at the same rate as above.

Which will fill the glasses faster? Will one glass fill quicker than the other in either example.

Sometimes it is easy to grasp fundamentals like this when you use water analogies.

I'm going to do the big three to both the batteries so both batteries will have a charge line from the alt and a frame and engine ground all with 1/0
Should be ok for 2200WRMS