Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Solo x 18 tuning?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Mha

Mha

130db

• Members
  • 379 posts
Hi im new to the forum and car audio. So I got my first solo x18inch yesterday and am starting on the box but dont know a thing about tuning. I have read that 35hz is the way to go? Would you agree? I also dont know how to calculate a tune out?My box is going to be 10cuft= 20.5inch high, 49inches wide, and 17.5 thick. I took the tailgate out of my avalanche and dont want to be able to see the bed thats why its so wide. Can any one help me on tuning the box thanks.

iKidwell

iKidwell

155db

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • Interests:Audio, lax, beer.
did Dr. Subwoofer tell you to tune to 35 hz? And i'm pretty sure 10 cubes is pretty damn big for an 18...but i've never ran a solo x...what power do you have going to it

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan
Build in Progress

PandorasCustoms

PandorasCustoms

125db

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:SPL, Car Audio, Computers
10 cu' would be a really big box for a single SoloX, but are you going to be pushing the full 5k to it?
You could really get that into a box about 1/2 the size and probably won't lose very much SPL. But, you end up gaining a huge amount of frequency bandwidth.
Chris - "The Apprentice" - Pandora's Box Customs 1994 Ford Explorer - "Midnight" - 4.0L SOHC SoundStream PCX-1000D & Kicker S12L5

Supercharged DCs

Supercharged DCs

165db

• Members
  • 4,176 posts
  • Interests:Blondes, Bass, and Beer :)

Oh and SQMontes Avatar :O
He never said if that's 10cubes before or after displacement...
Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :) Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Beanz

Beanz

165db

• Members
  • 3,783 posts
i like 35 hz it wont play like 28hz and lower....but idk it seems to keep me happy at that tunning ...and on your kicker are you going to run 5k to it?

That's why they don't deliver.
Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.
You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

PandorasCustoms

PandorasCustoms

125db

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:SPL, Car Audio, Computers

He never said if that's 10cubes before or after displacement...

Yeah, I guess. I just always assume that is what they want after displacment since almost all enclosure modeling software does not caluclate for it.
Chris - "The Apprentice" - Pandora's Box Customs 1994 Ford Explorer - "Midnight" - 4.0L SOHC SoundStream PCX-1000D & Kicker S12L5

Mha

Mha

130db

• Members
  • 379 posts
Im not going to be putting 5k watts into it just yet. I had 2 15 l7 before and have found out that the more Im in my.car.the more I getting imyo bass. I got got the 18 just in case I ever get there.

jakobebassbudds

jakobebassbudds

• Members

• 955 posts
  • Interests:hot nasty bass
im confused but thats all the time lol so yeah ill just sit back and watch
2 12ks and i dont know what to do   build in the works!

Mha

Mha

130db

• Members
  • 379 posts
So i have been reading up on the forum and it seams no one is going by kicker specs on there boxes? The reason I wanted to do 10cuft was because thats on the manuel. I had 2 kicker l7 15s in 6cuft each and I liked them, wich is what they recomend. but Im new and dont realy have.anything to compare too. So thats why I wanted to go by the manuel. So what would you guys recomend? Im still waning to go 49inches long by 20-21 inches high to cover up all the space in my.avalanche midagate, if it can be done that is?

Ps I have seen those m

Mha

Mha

130db

• Members
  • 379 posts
Ps I have seen those midgate sub boxes that fold down. But the cuft is small like 3cuft I was talking to a guy on ebay that makes them and I think he said he can make it a little bigger like 4-4.5cuft. And still make it fold down. I realy liked it but it seemed to small of air space. What do you think of like 2solox 10 or 12 in that space? Good?bad? Why am I so on kicker? When I like the solo x because of the fact that I can do my own recones.

fritosaregood

fritosaregood

160db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 2,726 posts
in the kicker manual it says the 6 cubes takes into account the sub and port displacement. so they are really saying they want around 5 cubes after displacement.

edit never mind.. now the site said port volumes are excluded. but my manual i got back with my L5 12s a while back said it was included

Edited by fritosaregood, 22 June 2011 - 11:48 AM.

BassJunkie

BassJunkie

No Thrill Unless Its Overkill

• Members

• 5,388 posts
If you're not going to run 5kw id recommend 6-8 cubes tuned to 32-35 hz. Every solo x i've heard murders low notes

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Mha

Mha

130db

• Members
  • 379 posts
What about the smaller solox 10inch or 12inch in 4cubicfeet per 2subs? Whould it sound bad

supremeaudio13

supremeaudio13

125db

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio

If you're not going to run 5kw id recommend 6-8 cubes tuned to 32-35 hz. Every solo x i've heard murders low notes

I have heard 2 18" SoloX's.. tuned to 35hz.. that tuning is the recommened way to go, you wont be disappointed on those higher notes, but IMO not that great on the low end.

FreekDesignz

FreekDesignz

150db

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
10 ft3 is fine. The solo x 18" has more cone area than a 21" meaning it needs more airspace than a round 18. That's also why the L5 and L7 15's can be in a box that could be perfect for an 18" round sub.

FreekDesignz

FreekDesignz

150db

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
Repost

Edited by FreekDesignz, 29 June 2011 - 07:55 AM.

Smurfboy

Smurfboy

130db

• Members
  • 445 posts

did Dr. Subwoofer tell you to tune to 35 hz? And i'm pretty sure 10 cubes is pretty damn big for an 18...but i've never ran a solo x...what power do you have going to it

You're from Lexington, KY? That is awesome, man. Because that's exactly where I live. :) What system you got, if you don't mind me asking. I got two tens (L7 kicker) powered by KX1200.1. Planning to upgrade next year or so.

(Sorry about being off-topic).

rickyfromthe407

rickyfromthe407

135db

• Members
  • 577 posts

So i have been reading up on the forum and it seams no one is going by kicker specs on there boxes? The reason I wanted to do 10cuft was because thats on the manuel. I had 2 kicker l7 15s in 6cuft each and I liked them, wich is what they recomend. but Im new and dont realy have.anything to compare too. So thats why I wanted to go by the manuel. So what would you guys recomend? Im still waning to go 49inches long by 20-21 inches high to cover up all the space in my.avalanche midagate, if it can be done that is?

Ps I have seen those m

Since I had it handy - I checked the Kicker U Lite app on my phone.

Min Ported is 5.048cf NET airspace ( after displacement )
Max Ported is 10.002cf NET

Both say tune to 35hz for best performance.

Id put it between 6.5-8.5cf after displacement @ 35hz tuning !

Also says "Slot Port Dimensions: 60 sq. in. x 15" long" if that helps any with building box.

Doesnt give me any form of dimensions for ported box, but it gives me the panel dimensions for sealed.

Doubt you wanna go with sealed for this build but Ill throw it out there anyways since the app provides it.

Min Sealed is 6.038cf
Max Sealed is 12.024

:good:

Current 4 10"s System!

Posted Image

1/0 Power Wire All Around + Big 3 - $140
Rockford Fosgate T2500-1BD - MSRP $1800
(4) Memphis M3 10" Subwoofers 1600watts $300ea. = $1200
XS D6500 $245.65
PIONEER AVH-P5200DVD 7" Head Unit = $430
Soundstream SC-6T Component 6.5" FRONT $60
Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5" REAR $85