Sundown Audio

Amplifier kills radio reception

stevh0

That doesn't make sense. Signal goes to the radio and then to the amp. Swapping out amps shouldnt affect anything.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

grounds, check your grounds

The first amp a little 2channel running a failry low power 12inch works well. Problem is there is not enough power for the sub. I then swapped the bigger Class D in and as soon as you power it up, the radio signal turns to static.

Earth is being run from the beft fastner under the rear seat to the capacitor. From the cap it runs both power and earth to the amp. Im pretty sure its solid. I could try running a seperate earth instead, but im not sure if this will do any good.

Could the amp be putting out some sort of electrical frequency thats interfering with the antenna.

I am running the stock headunit in my Forester with the amp connected to a hi-low converter. I doubt that this is the problem as the 2channel amp was working fine?

That doesn't make sense. Signal goes to the radio and then to the amp. Swapping out amps shouldnt affect anything.

Yes it makes a lot of sense.

You are using a Class D amp that uses FM modulation. It is just the way it is.

Class D amps do have a tendency to ruin radio reception and all you can do is try and install the amp some where else in the car and see if it helps.

You can try a different amp but I would recommend you call tech support to find out if their amps cause the same problem too or else you will keep having this problem.

EDIT: The reason the little 2 channel amp didn't cause a problem is because it is not designed the same way at all like the ClassD sub amp.

Edited by ISO

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Holy fuckin shit.

Someone got it right.

I was fully expecting tons of fail like, its your cap blah blah blah.

Thank you iso for making my day better.

To op. Class d. Happens alot.

Hell me stock mbz has this issue.

Try to move the amp around.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Holy fuckin shit.

Someone got it right.

Glad I made your day Ray.

Would ya do me a favor and check your PM. I have been trying to get the price for an AA Havoc and you are one of the 3 people I have PMed and I haven't gotten a response.

Would you get me a price or find me a dealer please.

Hell I will call you if you don't mind.

Edited by ISO

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Holy fuckin shit.

Someone got it right.

Thanks guys. Thing is, with a different head unit, the amp works fine. Ultimately yes thats the solution, get a new head unit, but right now there are more important things to spend the cash on.

I could throw the small amp back in, but man there is just not enough power to push the dvc. So running it in svc is allright and it give a decent enough low end, but nothing like the class D.

Strangely, my volvo gave the same trouble... and I thought it was the stupid fibre optics in the car.

Thanks for the comments guys! I appreciate it!

That doesn't make sense. Signal goes to the radio and then to the amp. Swapping out amps shouldn't affect anything.

Yes it makes a lot of sense.

You are using a Class D amp that uses FM modulation. It is just the way it is.

Class D amps do have a tendency to ruin radio reception and all you can do is try and install the amp some where else in the car and see if it helps.

You can try a different amp but I would recommend you call tech support to find out if their amps cause the same problem too or else you will keep having this problem.

EDIT: The reason the little 2 channel amp didn't cause a problem is because it is not designed the same way at all like the ClassD sub amp.

Well that makes a lot of sense!! i installed a higher power amp in my car (class d) and was always wondering why the receptions of some station have dropped. Even in my van i have a class d amp and noticed my reception for some radio stations have dropped! That's crazy!!