Sonic Electronix

Brand new rockford fosgate car amp up in smoke!!!

i have had a rockford fosgate prime r500.1 for a few months now. it has been a great amp. all of a sudden one night i got into my car and there was no sub power no power light or protect light. checked fuses found they were blown replaced them and everytime the amp would turn on the fuses would just keep blowing. i noticed whenever i replaced the negative battery cable back on the amp it wasnt sparking whick i thought was odd so i checked the ground. as far as im concerned its exactly how it was 3 months ago. the ground wire is under the seat belt bracket. i sanded both contact sides down and put the wire in between it. i repositioned and sanded a little more and tightened it down real good when i put the wire on the amp it was now sparking a little when i went to put it on. but i also heard sort of like a fizzling sound coming from the amp and a little bit of smoke. i wasnt really sure what to think but hey the fuses didnt blow so i turned the key on and all hell broke loose. the amp littlerally puffed out smoke it was quite the show. by the time i got the battery cable off the whole car was full of smoke. what happened. everything was working so good? the amp has a 1 year warranty so i hope its covered. maybe i should have been removing the positive terminal not the negative. i just cant see how anything i could have done could have caused this. i had the right fuses on the amp and also have a inline fuse in the engine compartment.

i have had a rockford fosgate prime r500.1 for a few months now. it has been a great amp. all of a sudden one night i got into my car and there was no sub power no power light or protect light. checked fuses found they were blown replaced them and everytime the amp would turn on the fuses would just keep blowing. i noticed whenever i replaced the negative battery cable back on the amp it wasnt sparking whick i thought was odd so i checked the ground. as far as im concerned its exactly how it was 3 months ago. the ground wire is under the seat belt bracket. i sanded both contact sides down and put the wire in between it. i repositioned and sanded a little more and tightened it down real good when i put the wire on the amp it was now sparking a little when i went to put it on. but i also heard sort of like a fizzling sound coming from the amp and a little bit of smoke. i wasnt really sure what to think but hey the fuses didnt blow so i turned the key on and all hell broke loose. the amp littlerally puffed out smoke it was quite the show. by the time i got the battery cable off the whole car was full of smoke. what happened. everything was working so good? the amp has a 1 year warranty so i hope its covered. maybe i should have been removing the positive terminal not the negative. i just cant see how anything i could have done could have caused this. i had the right fuses on the amp and also have a inline fuse in the engine compartment.

sucks, only problem ive ever had with a RF amp (P400-2)... got in the car, and no ouput, it had blown main power line fuse.. replaced it, and it would blow the second i would turn the key... sent it in and got a new one... no questions asked.... cant tell you why or what the deal was... but thats the only issue ive ever had with my dozen or so RF amps... good luck ......

First of all it sounds like a poor ground. Grounding to your seat belt bracket is NOT a good grounding spot. A better grounding spot would be a bolt off your strut tower, luggage tie down bolt, or frame. I highly doubt they will cover your amp since its smoked, you should have sent it in or had a professional shop look at the amp and see what they thought of it. If i saw someone grounding to the seat belt bolt i would not cover their product at all. It may be that you crossed a wire on the amp by removing and re-installing the ground wire on the amp so many times. They are not made so you can remove and re-install the amp several times. They are made to be installed and left alone. The more you take the wires in and out the more fragments of wire break off from the screw coming down on the wire and if just one tiny piece of wire crosses a contact between your positive and negative it will spark a fire. No offense and im not trying to bash you but you should have stopped after blowing the first few fuses and asked us for help.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Is it possible you mixed up which terminal your ground went to? I did that once (and never will again haha) and luckily my fuses took the hit (actually melted one of 'em) Sometime when you get distracted with other things you end up not paying attention to the connections...

Those of you who are risking your relationships need to grow up. Bass can't make you sandwhiches.

You clearly haven't tossed lunch meat, cheese, and bread in your port yet. Makes a hell of a bologna sandwich salad. Jiggles the balls pretty good too.

If i ain't learning, I ain't living.

Steve blocked me on YT... I think i irritated him a few years ago.... LOL sorry man

I don't have any serious builds goin on... currently i have an Interfire IF-2400b pushing 2 Alphasonic PSW610J's...

I'm broke and i don't want my son deaf before he's 2 haha

was the amp mounted tightly? Wires neat and no bare wires?

the amp was not mounted but i never really had a problem with it moving around too much ( the box kinda wedged it up againt the back seat) and besides i have good terminals on the end of the speaker wire so any positive to negative contact wasnt really too much of a concern. also since installing this is the first time ever disconnnecting the amp from power. i do agree the whole seatbelt thing is not the best but it did work flawlessly for 3 months. i never even had the gain more than 75%. i guess thats why i think its strange. i think the only thing that could have happened is something rolled around in the trunk and somehow bridged the positive and negative terminal or maybe its just bad luck. thanks for all the responces. i guess im off to buy a new amp. i wanna hear my 2 jl 12w0v3s

the amp was not mounted but i never really had a problem with it moving around too much ( the box kinda wedged it up againt the back seat) and besides i have good terminals on the end of the speaker wire so any positive to negative contact wasnt really too much of a concern. also since installing this is the first time ever disconnnecting the amp from power. i do agree the whole seatbelt thing is not the best but it did work flawlessly for 3 months. i never even had the gain more than 75%. i guess thats why i think its strange. i think the only thing that could have happened is something rolled around in the trunk and somehow bridged the positive and negative terminal or maybe its just bad luck. thanks for all the responces. i guess im off to buy a new amp. i wanna hear my 2 jl 12w0v3s

:nea: ......new amp, mount it. turn down the gain. and triple check your wiring.

Edited by mbdblue

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

:nea: ......new amp, mount it. turn down the gain. and triple check your wiring.

while we are at it the r500 amp i was using was only powering a single jl 12w0v3 sub. now i have 2 of them in a sealed box. i think im going to upgrade to a bigger amp. im thinking about this one

http://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ1200-1D-D-Class-Block/dp/B0036B8URK

this should be just fine for the 2 i now have. a big requirment for me is the bass knob so tell me what you think of this one. i noticed this is a class d and my old one is a class ab. will i really notive a difference?

Mount your amp, get a better ground, stop in hooking your connections, set your gain correctly, stop using bass boost, and just use the same amp to run both JL 12s.

Ps, if you keep replacing blown fuses that should be an indication something isn't right. I'm not sure what kind of spark you were looking for but I don't know of any spark that is good.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

The only amps I know that sparked were my high powered amps like the one I have now and my previous sub amps. They have a really quick spark when you put the fuse in because its charging the caps up but even then it isn't always a sign its right because the same amp that sparked the first time I put the fuse in, didn't spark the next time I put it in.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress