18 inch subs that don't take a lot of cubic feet to sound good?

Vooloco

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are misinformed. bigger woofers arent always necessarily louder. if you try stuffing two 18's in a space that barely meets the space requirements BEFORE displacement is taken into account, you'll probably be louder with two 15's since you'll be choking the shit out of the bigger subs.

What do I need to know about displacement? What would you do for 2 fi bl 18's?

you are misinformed. bigger woofers arent always necessarily louder. if you try stuffing two 18's in a space that barely meets the space requirements BEFORE displacement is taken into account, you'll probably be louder with two 15's since you'll be choking the shit out of the bigger subs.

What do I need to know about displacement? What would you do for 2 fi bl 18's?

well for 2 18's, i'd probably take like a cube at least out for port displacement, then another half cube for woofer displacement, another .5 or 1 for bracing (depending on which material you use), extra baffling takes up space too. all of these things need to be taken into account before you can even think about choosing woofers.

messing around with numbers in torres calc, .75 bracing displacement, 1" mdf all around, extra baffle, .5 woofer displacement, 14.16cuft gross, 9.5cuft net tuned to 33.5hz with 13.6sqin of port per cube. so yeah, make sure you take into account displacement before you choose woofers.

edit: and im sure that i didnt even put enough bracing or baffles or side wall layers. so...yeah. displacement is a bitch.

messing around with numbers in torres calc, .75 bracing displacement, 1" mdf all around, extra baffle, .5 woofer displacement, 14.16cuft gross, 9.5cuft net tuned to 33.5hz with 13.6sqin of port per cube. so yeah, make sure you take into account displacement before you choose woofers.

Well that sounds like around 15 cubic feet so I don't think I can get 2 18 bl's (I'll still consider them tho I have to do some more measuring, but that would be pushing it to the limit.) So 2 18 sundowns or 2 15 bl's? What are the sundowns rated at??

Well that sounds like around 15 cubic feet so I don't think I can get 2 18 bl's (I'll still consider them tho I have to do some more measuring, but that would be pushing it to the limit.) So 2 18 sundowns or 2 15 bl's? What are the sundowns rated at??

"1500" watts.

edit: and dont think that you should be using the numbers i gave you. i just said that so you'd understand what i meant about how displacement sucks.

Archived