Second Skin Audio

Basics of a 4th order bandpass enclosure

donellk

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone building a 4th order with bass box pro 6 swing me a call 320 291 8940 ...noob here on the bandpass end of the program and i dont understand why i can get a box that will allow a port... all the ports come out way to long.. even though im allowing 33h by 15 wide...it still says i need 200 plus inches of length..wtf am i doing wrong here...or text me pls

• 2 months later...

is it ok to have two of there of my subs reverse mounted in the sealed part of the box ( or should i have all the facing the same direction) for resonance issues... and finally steve were u saying the face subwoofer face should be facing the ported side or does this make a difference because i have heard reverse mounting (sealed not necessarily bandpass) makes no difference in sound but i trust yur opinion more... thanks

• 1 month later...

From what I understand unless you are running seperate amps you will want the subs facing the same way. It doesn't matter whether you put the motor in the sealed or ported section, but if you mix them up you will want to reverse the polarity (phase) to the one that is different than the others.

Ie... if you have 2 up and 1 down, you want the 1 that is down to be 180 degrees out of phase with the other 2, otherwise they will be essentialy fighting with each other and it will either sound like poo, blow your subs (or possibly both).

As you seem new to 4th orders (like myself) it seems commonly recommended that you put the motors in the ported area. This helps for cooling purposes, and it also lets you smell the coils if you start to cook a sub, although I have heard that by the time you smell it, it is likely too late lol.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

• 1 month later...

hey guys I have a question, when using a 2 to 1 ratio with a fourth-order but using more than one subwoofer does the volume of the ported chamber change if you are using a common sealed chamber for the subwoofers or individually sealed chambers for example if you had two cubic foot of common sealed and four cubic foot of ported chamber would the ported area's volume still be @ four cft if you had two 1 cft sealed chambers?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just noticed the last question was from back in July lol... typed out long ass reply then noticed.. Short answer is - yes. My bad lol.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

If I understand correctly, the higher the QTS the better suited it is for a 4th. With a QTS of .5 or higher being ideal

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

Archived