Mechman Alternators

Something wrong with my Mechman?

This matter has been resolved. Inadequate ground found to be the problem, not the alternator.

Problem solved guys, as i said before , didn´t know i had to install a negative run from alt to battery, i also added 2 more negative runs on a couple of other spots, went from 0.04 resistance to 0.01 , dropping now to 13.2v on clamped 2000 watts using a single Kinetik HC2400 battery, VERY happy with the results right now, thanks for the inputs guys!! :):drinks:

Hey Matt, my name is Javier, you might not remember me but i bought a 270A alternator for my 99 Ford Explorer a few months ago but installed it last week, when i installed the alternator i didn´t see ANY gain on the meter but i didn´t care that much anyway, a couple of days later my amplifier broke down, switched equipment and i´ve been playing around A LOT with my truck using very small power, always a single American Bass VFL120.1 (2200 watts) wired at 0.5 , 0.66 and 1 ohm on different applications.

To the point, i started my "1500 watts amplifier challenge" yesterday and i had to check the voltage drops on this test, believe it or not, it´s the first time EVER that i check my voltage drops, i have big3 , 4 runs of 0 gauge and a single Kinetik HC2400 on front right now, testing 3 different amplifiers my voltage was dropping from 14.5v to 11.5 - 11.8 volts, WHAT THE HELL???? with all those wires and big ass battery with the strongest alternator i could find from mechman to my explorer and i´m dropping that much with a single 2200 watts amplifier wired at 0.5 ohms on a burp??? i guess i´m dropping to low 11´s with music 8)

Once again, i never checked voltage drops before since i didn´t care that much about it, but i´m preparing to wall the explorer using 4 18´s and 2 of this amplifiers,i was counting on this alternator, i don´t understand how come my voltage is dropping that much, i never complained before about not scoring even 0.1 dbs louder on the meter because i don´t like to bash any company, and also, the alternator didn´t even fit very well on the stock bracket as it was supposed to (only 2 bolts are attached), i payed A LOT of money for this alternator and the shipping to Panama, is there something wrong with it? i need some inputs with this thing now, i can´t start building my wall now because i don´t want smoke coming from my amps because of "lack of current" using a big ass alternator that costed me 500$ on small power :noob:

Edited by fecupe2001

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was that with your rpm at 4-5grand? or at idle?

alts wont make the power till you rev them up...

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

3K RPM dropping to only 2K , once again, i´ve NEVER tested my voltage drops before , that´s why i´m not complaining that much, because i know i bought the alternator several months ago and now it´s when i saw how poor my electrical is performing, i´m seriously unhappy with this because i payed 500$ to get it over here, shipping to the US would cost me a fortune, and also, i would have to take that alternator out of the explorer wich is my daily vehicle right now :S

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Idk about 4-5k most alts reach full output at 1700-2000 rpm, even at idle, a 2200 watt amp with box rise should not cause a drop to 11.7 full tilt or not. Sounds like a possible bad alt, I'm sure Mechman will take care of you, they have taken care of me so far. Mechman is pretty good about that.

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander
Sony 712

Soundqubed HDS208

Alpine MRV-M500

Transmission line enclosure

Soundqubed wiring

Knu rca

XS Power battery

CNF terminals

Yeah, i´ve seen lots of comments about their great technical support and costumer service, i always found weird that my alternator came on a shitty box without any mechman logos or anything lol, we´ll see what happens...

I'm not gonna gang up on Mechman as my issues are really at idle, on my low power at 1k rpm and up I'm getting 14.6-14.9v ... Soon as I get to 700 on dash it drops to 13.6-12.7-12.3-12.2 .... Apparently my car sucks???

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Idk about 4-5k most alts reach full output at 1700-2000 rpm, even at idle, a 2200 watt amp with box rise should not cause a drop to 11.7 full tilt or not. Sounds like a possible bad alt, I'm sure Mechman will take care of you, they have taken care of me so far. Mechman is pretty good about that.

mine is 4, thats why i ask..

and if the alt does lets say 80a at idle *we dont know how well its built* it might do all of it at a higher rpm, and almost none at idle..

Edited by Team_DC-Derrick

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

I´m gonna post a video tomorrow using 2 or 3 different DMM to show how much i´m dropping using a tiny 1600 watts amplifier right now :noob: