Second Skin Audio

How to get the most flex?

des343

your mixing up flex and excursion. your never want flex. you want to do the best you can to reduce flex. excursion of a sub isn't whant determines how loud or low it will get. ypu gotta take the T/S parameters into account and build the box for your subs...

2007 caliber

2 Fi ssd 18's

rd audio 3250

xs power d3100 (need 2 more)

stock alt (soon to be singer 350a)

2.75:1 4th order in progress!

terminology is what lost us. Flex is what a vehicle does, excursion is what a sub does. They are NOT interchangeable.

Tune to 50Hz and play stuff at 25Hz, you'll have plenty of excursion...until the subs bottom out and blow LOL

Throw RMS at the subs and put them in an enclosure on the big side of recommended specs, that should push them to full excursion, especially on lower notes.

Thank you for actually answering..so your saying tune the box to 50hz should i do that with a sealed or ported for best performance? and are you saying that trying to do this will blow them? i mean if i set my gains correctly i should be alright i figured..

but what do you mean play stuff at 25hz like the song itself or a setting on the amp?

And yeah sorry i figured it would b the same?? But yeah my bad on that

Excursion and xmax really are only one small piece to the puzzle, and more often than not, used incorrectly for sales.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

your mixing up flex and excursion. your never want flex. you want to do the best you can to reduce flex. excursion of a sub isn't whant determines how loud or low it will get. ypu gotta take the T/S parameters into account and build the box for your subs...

yeah cprrect and well i cant find anything about the specs of these subs online so i dont know them and i figured if they are supposed to be ultra excursion then why not try to get more excursion? lol sorry if it sounds stupid but i definantly know the box they are in now is too smasll but they do really impress me and everyone that hears them for how loud and low they go...

i just know i can get more if they are in the proper box for their "abilities"

What are T/S parameters

I was kidding about tuning to 50Hz and playing at 25Hz, hence the LOL at the end.

Ported box probably tuned around 28-32Hz, but no idea for sure as I have zero experience with those subs. Also need to make sure the SSF is not set too high, assuming your subs can handle playing low as that's usually what destroys subs.

I guess a better overall question would be, what is your goal? You meant to say get the most excursion...but why? Are you trying to be louder? Move more air? What is the goal you are reaching for

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I guess a better overall question would be, what is your goal? You meant to say get the most excursion...but why? Are you trying to be louder? Move more air? What is the goal you are reaching for

well i dont think these subs are very good SQ subs to begin with so i wanted to go with their strenth they seem to like lower deeper notes and do it well...so i just want to get low and loud they do handle quite a bit of power

Archived