CE Auto Electric Supply

CE Auto Electric Supply Charging System Upgrade Kit Install

Over the past few days I took some time to get the CE Auto Electric Supply charging system upgrade kit installed on my 90 Accord. The install process was started and stopped a few times, so I apologize if anything seems a bit disjointed.

Ok enough yapping, pics!

First was dealing with my alternator issue, so I popped that sucker off, gave it a good cleaning and a half, and drug it inside… I don't like being frozen.

th_chargsystem01.jpg

As you can see in the picture below, the terminal for the new charge lead wouldn't fit because the factory isolator on the alt wasn't designed for such a large lug and of course with everything Honda related, it's too damn small!

th_chargsystem02.jpg

So I took a few minutes and modified it for a perfect "OEM" fit.

th_chargsystem03.jpg

Once that was complete I headed back outside with all my goodies!

th_chargsystem04.jpg

First up was getting the new ground connected from the alt to chassis. Well once again Honda's ingenious design kind of limits the possibilities and had connect it to the top alt mount/bolt.

Here is how I have it installed…

th_chargsystem06.jpg th_chargsystem07.jpg

Next up was finding a good grounding location on the frame for the new alt ground and the bat ground, just so happens that under the batter tray there are three convenient holes…

th_chargsystem11.jpg

So I picked the hole I wanted, drilled it out the the appropriate tape size, tapped it, and installed both grounds.

The kit came with a 10mm bolt to be used on the back of the alternator for the new ground, but since I couldn't use it for that, I used it to bolt down the grounds to the frame (used the supplied star washer, flat washer, and lock washer as well).

Drilled:

th_chargsystem12.jpg

Tapped and paint removed:

th_chargsystem13.jpg

Lithium grease applied and cables bolted down:

th_chargsystem14.jpg

Installing the new charge lead to the alt was super easy. The original lead doesn't go directly to the battery, instead it disappears into a wire loom that snakes it's way over the valve cover, under the intake, and a few miles latter pokes itself up out near the underhood fuse panel.

th_chargsystem05.jpg

Well not wanting to rewire everything (YET) and as per the supplied instructions, I connected the new lead along with the original to the alt.

th_chargsystem09.jpg

Next up was finding a location to install the fuse holder for the charge lead... on top of the battery is literally the only flat spot, so why not? I'll be making a custom battery hold down with a fastening location for the fuse holder this spring when it's not freezing outside. So for now, the holder will be 3Med to the top of the battery.

th_chargsystem15.jpg

So with the positive battery terminal temporarily installed and the fuse holder location picked, I stripped the cable, installed the reducer (supplied with the fuse holder), and got the charge lead into the fuse holder.

Using my super trusty Gerber knife.

th_chargsystem16.jpg th_chargsystem17.jpg

Cut some more cable for the fuse holder to the bat terminal and gave it the same treatment (stripped both ends, reducers, and clamped in)

th_chargsystem19.jpg

Now lucky for me, I had just enough cable left to make a new lead to the started, so I tossed on a lug, some heat shrink, and BADOOOOM! New starter cable!

th_chargsystem24.jpg

So with the positive leads all terminated the grounds were next.

The kit came with four feet of 8AWG with eyelets installed on both ends, so I was able to upgrade the smaller ground leads.

Same deal, measure, cut, strip, clamp.

th_chargsystem20.jpg th_chargsystem21.jpg

And I was done!

th_chargsystem23.jpg

I installed some Techflex sleeving on the charge and ground from the alt that run behind the radiator for some extra protection. And please ignore the cheap intake... this is a work in progress. ;)

CE Auto Electric Supply's Charging System Upgrade Kit was a snap to install. Came with all the pieces and parts you could imagine for any installation imaginable. Clear and precise instructions (for those who like to read...). Couldn't be more pleased with the results!

Thanks again TC! I'll be hitting you up when I start the engine swap and/or under hood rewire.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Just got home from being at the biggest car show in the valley all year. What a day. I got there at 8 AM . . .

Jon - nicely done man! The install looks really good. I'm glad everything worked out perfectly :yahoo:

Here's what I like the best . . . Jon is such a perfectionist he used the supplied metric bolt and NOT the SAE bolt for the alt and battery grounds in his import. Clever Jon, clever indeed!

Edited by snafu

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Very Nice Setup

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I was at the Pavilions all day . . . I had a booth set up in front of RPC.

Jon got the 2 AWG kit, 5 foot long for top post batteries. That kit sells for $145.95 and is compatible with alts making up to 225 amps. Here is a link to the page on my 'site to select the correct kit for your application: http://www.ceautoelectricsupply.com/chargesystemupgradekits.html

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Here's what I like the best . . . Jon is such a perfectionist he used the supplied metric bolt and NOT the SAE bolt for the alt and battery grounds in his import. Clever Jon, clever indeed!

You and I both know it would have drove me nuts having an SAE bolt installed... yes nobody would know or care, but deep down it would be eating me up. :lol:

In the next month or two I'll get the battery hold down made and properly mount the fuse holder.

I also wanted to note again that the quality of everything is AMAZING. The supplied ring boot for the alt took a hell of a beating getting shoved on with the 2AWG and the factory 4AWG and did not rip or tear.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

• 4 months later...