Sundown Audio
Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Amp tuning by ear...

amp tuning ear dd-1 o scope meade steve smd meade916

54 replies to this topic

michael_woodworth2000

michael_woodworth2000

120db

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio!!!
Garage View Garage
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/167262216706680/
A couple local guys say they can tune there amps my ear 100% distortion free. They think a dd-1 or o scope is a waste of money. I want to know if it is posible for the ear to pick up every bit of distortion. Here is link to the convo. The convo is the comments on the black sub box with 50+ comments.
Pioneer AVIC F900BT double din Stinger digital volt meter on dash 1/0 guage power wire positive and negative Interstate 117ah battery in the back 2 runs 4 guage power wire from rear battery to amp Power Acoustics Stax 5500 4 Powerbass m-15's(old style) 2 sets o2 5.25 inch components in front 2 Sony 5x7 in back Sony 500 watt 4 channel

BEEMDUB

BEEMDUB

145db

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • Interests:Car audio, guns, MMA, football, boobies, big boobies, teh femalez, asss shaking booty bouncin ball bustin bitchez
Garage View Garage
lol the human ear is not designed to detect every bit of distortion from speakers in a car......the dd-1 and an oscope are.....either you can get the dd-1 and set your gains as accurate as possible or listen to the magical guys on facebook who have o-scopes built into their brains..

[color=#0000ff;]2007 Chevy Tahoe LT/PPV[/color]

[color=#0000ff;]Audio[/color]

[color=#0000ff;]- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 In-Dash[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,255);]- MB Quart ONX 4.80 Mids And Highs Amp[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,255);]- Pioneer 6.75 TS-D1720C Comp Set[/color]

[color=#0000ff;]Exterior[/color]

[color=#0000ff;]- 8000k HIDs [/color]

[color=#0000ff;]- Painted Sidemarkers[/color]

[color=#0000ff;]- Painted bowties[/color]

[color=#0000ff;]- 24" U2-55 Wheels [/color]

[color=#0000ff;]- Falken 305/35/24 Tires [/color]

Posted Image

n8ball2013

n8ball2013

Don't blame me for your stupidity

• Super Moderator

• 30,703 posts
ill bet you my last dollar that they are no where near as accurate as either an oscope or a dd-1.
let them talk just dont let them touch your shit. audio companies love consumers like them. it keeps them in business.
THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!
1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab
Alpine CDA-9887
4 Digital Designs 9515
4 Orion 2500d1
Orion 8004
3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets
Dual 300 amp Iraggi Alts
8 Optima yellow tops
Second Skin
Stinger
Tsunami Wiring
A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

IBleedMusick

IBleedMusick

SkyHigh Car Audio Rep

• SMD PARTNER

• 4,705 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio/Video
    Home Audio/Video
    Computers
No it is not possible for the ear to pick up all distortion considering it isn't always audible to a humans hearing so that comment is asinine.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Posted Image

Posted Image

navy579

navy579

SMD SUPPORTING MEMBER

• SMD Gold Member
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:cars, car audio, muddin, camping
i had same thing happen to me but when i got my dd-1 sounded alot better i was distorting at half volume before i tuned it with dd-1

Skullz

Skullz

170db

• Members

• 4,502 posts
You can get pretty close with under 1500w amps but as you get into more powerful amps there is no way to discern distortion and clipping with the ear.

(1) Pioneer DEH P8300UB
(1) JBL P660C
(1) Audio Q AQ-200.2
(1) Alpine mrp m500

(2) RF P2 10's

Omega5002

Omega5002

Im Woodstock "Wah wah wah"

• UBL Approved Group

• 4,162 posts
  • Interests:Home Audio
    Car Audio
    Video Games
    Music
    Computer Electronics
    Drawing
Garage View Garage
The regular human ear cannot detect distortion below 3% for bass(maybe 1% if you're an audiophile), and plus there's environmental distortion from the car too like coins shaking, things laying around making nose, seats rattle-ling, all sorts of things, so it makes it harder to tell.

So a DD1 is a good investment to make sure you have no distortion what so ever, and plus it's cheaper than an O scope.

2003 Kia Sorento

Kenwood DNX7100

2 HDC3 15's D1 copper coils, 9.2 cu ft box tuned to 37hz,

1 Sundown SAZ-1500 v3 at 1 ohm (soon to be 2 1500's at .5 each)

2 Silverflute 6.5's,2 AA Havoc neo tweeters up front, AQ 120.4 at 4 ohm per channel, ran active

Stock 120 amp alt, Big 3, 1 run of negative, 1 run of postive, Deka G34 up front, 2 Sprinter 285's in the back

1998 Volvo S70 build log 2 Skar IVX 15's, 1200 rms, best score 143.2db

http://www.stevemead...build-in-place/

UBL http://www.stevemead...-volvo-s70-ubl/

michael_woodworth2000

michael_woodworth2000

120db

• Members
  • 43 posts
Garage View Garage
Thanx for the input. I knew them guys were full of it.
Pioneer AVIC F900BT double din Stinger digital volt meter on dash 1/0 guage power wire positive and negative Interstate 117ah battery in the back 2 runs 4 guage power wire from rear battery to amp Power Acoustics Stax 5500 4 Powerbass m-15's(old style) 2 sets o2 5.25 inch components in front 2 Sony 5x7 in back Sony 500 watt 4 channel

SmallTruk

SmallTruk

130db

• Members
  • 477 posts
I used to think I could tune by ear, then again I also thought "gain" was a secondary volume knob. I've come a long way since I was 13-14 yrs old, I'm sure those guys will come around eventually....maybe.

michael_woodworth2000

michael_woodworth2000

120db

• Members
  • 43 posts
Garage View Garage
Well these idiots are saying its a waste of money and that Steve Meade is a joke because he isn't loud he just plays low and shakes shit. So i don't think they will ever come around and respect Steve and realize they are wrong.

Team_DC-Derrick

Team_DC-Derrick

Uncle Ruckus, No relation

• 18+ All Access!

• 6,503 posts
I wouldnt even be apart of that group, once they said they are better than a oscilloscope, time to go...

btw, not alot of people can do 56-58s under the windowline in the cargo area and still seat 5....

power or not, its not something thats super easy to do, so if they want to bash, tell them to put up their TL numbers or STFU

Edited by Team_DC-Derrick, 21 February 2012 - 07:05 PM.

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

Jaloosk

Jaloosk

130db

• Members
  • 393 posts
Garage View Garage
Posted Image
"Cheap, good or fast. You can only pick two out of three." "Have money? Love story! No money? I'm sorry."

Maxim

Maxim

Computer Guru #2 150db

• Members
  • 2,420 posts
I can tune amps without clipping. It's easy. Just turn that shit to 0 and you're done. No DD-1 required. Thing's a waste of money anyway. :lol:

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

meade916

meade916

The SM in SMD

• Admin

• 22,416 posts
Garage View Garage
there is some VERY hard headed people out there. Anyone who says a DD-1 isnt necessary is also saying an O-scope isnt necessary. Anyone who says an O-scope IN THE MINIMUM isnt necessary, is a noob. Forget the DD-1 for a minute, any reputable installer will at LEAST use an O-scope. Those guys in that thread are clowns. Hard headed clowns.

edit: I just realized that was quote worthy. Feel free to use. LOL (is it ok to quote myself in my sig?) :D

Edited by meade916, 21 February 2012 - 07:14 PM.

wc_zps9b224b53.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/meade916 

The Official SMD Facebook Page

http://www.facebook....ge/207890963429

Follow my Tweet (Twiiter)

http://www.Twitter.c...er.com/meade916

My Instagram

http://www.instagram.com/meade916

Highest OFFICIAL SPL scores (at shows, on the TermLab)

DBDRAG - 156.5

Usaci - 157.4

Usaci Streetbeat - 155.2

michael_woodworth2000

michael_woodworth2000

120db

• Members
  • 43 posts
Garage View Garage
Thanx to all of you for checking out my topic especially Steve Meade. I told them to use either a o scope or dd-1 but they are stuborn.

LoudBimmer

LoudBimmer

Everyday Im shuffelin

• Members
  • 5,654 posts
Garage View Garage
I tried tuning amp by ear or with dmm, but it was much different from O-scope.

Is it possible to add more options to DD-1? :) like build in dmm, clamp meter, ect.

meade916

meade916

The SM in SMD

• Admin

• 22,416 posts
Garage View Garage
the DD-1 doesnt have any add on options, sorry. It does what it does and it does it well. I wish my car could make me breakfast but it doesnt. It sure does drive nice though.

wc_zps9b224b53.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/meade916 

The Official SMD Facebook Page

http://www.facebook....ge/207890963429

Follow my Tweet (Twiiter)

http://www.Twitter.c...er.com/meade916

My Instagram

http://www.instagram.com/meade916

Highest OFFICIAL SPL scores (at shows, on the TermLab)

DBDRAG - 156.5

Usaci - 157.4

Usaci Streetbeat - 155.2

MIKE-2U

MIKE-2U

150db

• Members

• 1,667 posts
  • Interests:CAR AUDIO. BASS. CARS
Hahaha ZAch dude so dumb. I got in on that convo

[font="cursive;"]2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo[/font]
Pioneer AVH- 3200DVD
2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

(2) Fully Loaded Fi Sp4's dual 1

-------> My YouTube Channel <-------

Needs more power those woofers will laugh at that turd

IBleedMusick

IBleedMusick

SkyHigh Car Audio Rep

• SMD PARTNER

• 4,705 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio/Video
    Home Audio/Video
    Computers
:rofl: I just read all the comments and it gave me one hell of a laugh I think HaterGonnaHate says it best...Haters Gonna Hate plain and simple.

ANY and I repeat any reputable Car Audio shop owns an O-Scope no way in hell you can tune any system without it. As an installer there are shortcuts we have all followed when tuning by ear but at the end of the day I have seen a DD-1 work first hand on small and large systems not to mention people who thought they were tuned accurately and were surprised when the DD-1 made them louder and cleaner. I don't see how any of those shops he mentioned if reputable said an O-Scope is unnecessary its total bs. Plus the numbers they claimed to have don't mean nothing if they have no proof. I wanna see those numbers on the dash and show me some of these big systems you guys own.

Edited by IBleedMusick, 21 February 2012 - 07:38 PM.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rd Alpha Max

Rd Alpha Max

120db

• Members
  • 66 posts
Yeah so am I. These guys are making me mad
System
1997 Saturn SC1
Trunk Wall
2 Obsidian d2 12s
4.1cu. @ 30hz
SAZ 1500d @ 2 ohm
1/0 Welding Cable
Stock alt
Big 3 in 1/0 Welding Cable

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amp, tuning, ear, dd-1, o scope, meade, steve, smd, meade916

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users