sprkn_ranger's DC audio build. *Kerfing has begun*

Well I'm far enough along now that I figured I would start a build log. It's nothing crazy, just a single DC level 2 powered by a DC 1.2k @ 2ohms so it will see about 700rms. I plan on upgrading eventually, but I wanted to start small cause it's been almost 10 years since I've had a system and even then, I had no clue what I was doing. So I wanted to start small and do it right this time around! :D

The car it's going in is a 2007 Kia Optima. It's all stock and I really don't have any plans to do anything to it except upgrade the audio.

Here is the equipment list so far and will add to it over time:

Head unit- Kenwood KDC-X895

a6863eed.jpg

Subwoofer- DC Audio level 2 12" M2

d9d78e61.jpg

Amp- DC Audio 1.2k

cd549975.jpg

Still need to get the wire for the amp and still need to do the big 3. Not sure what I'm going to do for wire yet, I may just go with a knu konceptz 4g wire kit, any other suggestions?

More to come...

Ok here is the box I finally decided on:

torresfinal.jpg

And here a sketchup I did of it:

boxfinal.jpg

And here is what I have done so far:

1edbf41d.jpg

bc259ac9.jpg

9d425459.jpg

Nice rainy day to work out in the garage!

40da8589.jpg

It's starting to resemble a box!

32bf7b23.jpg

A shot of the port mocked up, not glued in place yet:

c90acc02.jpg

Well that's it so far, I'm hoping to get the sub holes in the baffles cut today and maybe even the port all glued in...but not sure, I've got some other things going on today and might not have the time to sneak into the garage. Let me know your thoughts and opinions! :D

Ok well I didn't get as much time in the garage as I would have liked tonight, and most of the time I did get, I was building a circle jig for my plunge router. I thought I had some 1/4 inch mdf laying around from another project but I guess not :shrug: so I had to take some 3/4" and mill part of it down to 1/4" on the table saw. I did get one of the sub cutouts made though.

Here's a pic of the milled down part of the circle jig I made...notice the slot I cut for the saw dust to escape while cutting? Well it worked ok, but not as much as I had hoped for :pardon:

579eb3aa.jpg

And here is the first baffle cutout:

11d3d494.jpg

Looks good mayne, keep up the good work!

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

Further along on yours than I am on mine. Looking good so far.

Thanks Ken, LOL I'm further along, but yours is a lil more complex than mine haha

Looks good mayne, keep up the good work!

Thanks man! Its the first box I've done in like 10 years, and first time I've ever done a ported box so I wanna take my time and make sure its right.

To be a level 2 that things pretty beefy lol goodluck on the build

Thanks! Yea I was suprised at how beefy the sub was...I couldnt imagine what Orionstangs Level 6 12" looked like in person :shok: , I never did get to see the motor on that thing.

Definatly going good so far man, I'm lovin it :D was curious since I don't know much about boxes. Why 1.5 cubes, rather than recommended. What's that do? By the way.. I love your circles.. mine were horrible :P

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

Definatly going good so far man, I'm lovin it :D was curious since I don't know much about boxes. Why 1.5 cubes, rather than recommended. What's that do? By the way.. I love your circles.. mine were horrible :P

Thanks! Yea I was debating weather or not to even build the circle jig or just use a jig saw...but I'm glad I did use the circle jig cause I'm really pleased with how well it worked. Def worth the effort to build it.

Well Orionstang gave me the idea and I went with it, plus the 1.5 is just a 1/4 cube larger than recomended and I figured I'd try it out and see since I have plenty of room...and if I don't like it I can always build another box. :D

Thanks! Yea I was debating weather or not to even build the circle jig or just use a jig saw...but I'm glad I did use the circle jig cause I'm really pleased with how well it worked. Def worth the effort to build it.

Well Orionstang gave me the idea and I went with it, plus the 1.5 is just a 1/4 cube larger than recomended and I figured I'd try it out and see since I have plenty of room...and if I don't like it I can always build another box. :D

I need a circle jig -_- gotta buy the part I guess.. and OH well if i'm not mistaken bigger box less power it needs. But very true, boxes are easy to make experiement looking good man.

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

Archived