Sonic Electronix
Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sub "pops" when car is turned off

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

SoundOfViolence

SoundOfViolence

125db

• Members
  • 120 posts
Garage View Garage
So heres whats going on. After I start listening to music pretty loud for more than around 5-10minutes (or just normal level for long periods of time)...when I turn my car off the sub makes a thump or popping noise. I've checked my ground, RCAs and all the other wires for loose connections but they were all fine. I did a little researching and saw that people said to buy a pop stopper or ground isolator. What one would work best for my situation? These are the ones i'm looking at, if you know the problem or a better product go ahead and let me know!

Noise Control (Turn Off Pop Eliminator)
http://www.autotoys....uctid=1812#tabs

Stinger Sgli Sgn20 Ground Loop Noise Isolator
http://www.autotoys....?productid=8444

Stinger Sps Pop Stopper
http://www.autotoys....?productid=8443
Fi X12 AQ750 Pioneer DEH-6300B h/u

2loud4uboyz

2loud4uboyz

135db

• Members
  • 711 posts
I think you should get the Stinger sps pop stopper if you can't fix the prolblem.

Kranny

Kranny

The Kranny rule

• Members
  • 18,935 posts
just wondering...how did you "check" your grounds? everyone comes in and says they checked them but when we ask how they actually are, they usually say that its on painted metal on some trunk bolt.

Lol overpriced amp huh. Shows how much you know. I know folks. Dont be mad you run a piece of shit amp. You and all the other dont know bbetters can say man itd awesome its awesome and I got it for 125 bucks. Ive spent more on glue.

Clip city bitch, clip clip city bitch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames bitch.

Corolla (Deceased) Outlaw: 141.9 at 45hz

99 Monte Carlo Z34: Stock everything.

2014 Focus ST: Stock 10 speaker Sony system. meh

141 ON MUSICCCCCCCCCCCCC

SoundOfViolence

SoundOfViolence

125db

• Members
  • 120 posts
Garage View Garage

just wondering...how did you "check" your grounds? everyone comes in and says they checked them but when we ask how they actually are, they usually say that its on painted metal on some trunk bolt.

Uh well my ground wire came loose before from not being crimped well enough, so I checked that again and made sure that all the paint was scratched off. I also checked it at the amp to make sure it was snug in there. What else should I do to check it? I'm no pro at this stuff :P

Hifonicsmax1

Hifonicsmax1

120db

• Members
  • 99 posts
Are you using an EQ? I have Noticed some EQs give this "POP". I get this from just general understanding and Im no expert on the way to fix that. I always say check the grounds if anything is going wrong. I feel sometimes, cheap amps and cheap EQs sometimes are the cause of this but again I have nothing to back my statement up. Just something to check on.

95legwagon

95legwagon

140db

• Members

• 969 posts
  • Interests:cars, BASS, xbox360 ,pc...no particular order
also ive noticed if gains are up too high you get this pop..... have you set your gains properly?
also noticed if your remote wire isnt connected to the remote output wire on your headunit and just to an ignition wire or switched 12v source you'll get this pop also.

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit.[color=#ff0000;] If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks[/color].

/ LOL
My Low Budget Build:
Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K
headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

CHEVY4X4BLAZER

CHEVY4X4BLAZER

I lub my 4x4 Chebby

• Members

• 2,692 posts
  • Interests:Blazers, BASS and Babes.

Uh well my ground wire came loose before from not being crimped well enough, so I checked that again and made sure that all the paint was scratched off. I also checked it at the amp to make sure it was snug in there. What else should I do to check it? I'm no pro at this stuff :P

Grab a volt meter and make sure you're getting 12+ volts with the car off.

Red probe to power wire @ amp.

Black to ground.

gally

gally

SMD SUPPORTING MEMBER

• SMD Bronze Member

• 2,525 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Cars, ATVs, girls, and alot of stuff....
sorry for thread jacking but i would ask a similiar question......my sub keeps poping when i play it at low volume...what could it be possibly wrong??
maybe tinsel leads?

2014 Opel Corsa 1.2 16V

Radio --- Pioneer 8400BT

Front --- Cadence QRS6K2

Sub Amp --- DD M1b

Sub --- GZNW 15SPL D1

upgrades next...

some stuff for install:

- 1 M1b

- 2 GZ  subs --2 12

--   one 75AH 2500A battery, soon to be installed

- need some deadner, probably silent coat

- and some other minor stuff

CHEVY4X4BLAZER

CHEVY4X4BLAZER

I lub my 4x4 Chebby

• Members

• 2,692 posts
  • Interests:Blazers, BASS and Babes.

sorry for thread jacking but i would ask a similiar question......my sub keeps poping when i play it at low volume...what could it be possibly wrong??
maybe tinsel leads?

Make a thread outlining your issue with as much details as possible. We will help you out. :drinks:

SoundOfViolence

SoundOfViolence

125db

• Members
  • 120 posts
Garage View Garage

Are you using an EQ? I have Noticed some EQs give this "POP". I get this from just general understanding and Im no expert on the way to fix that. I always say check the grounds if anything is going wrong. I feel sometimes, cheap amps and cheap EQs sometimes are the cause of this but again I have nothing to back my statement up. Just something to check on.

Not using any EQs. I've checked my grounds by making sure the wire is connected good and the paint is scratched off, if there is any other way of checking to see if my ground is good let me know. I don't think my amp is "cheap" its an AQ750,not the best but its decent right?

also ive noticed if gains are up too high you get this pop..... have you set your gains properly?
also noticed if your remote wire isnt connected to the remote output wire on your headunit and just to an ignition wire or switched 12v source you'll get this pop also.

I haven't set them properly :|. I don't have access to a DD1 or oscope. My headunit has 2.2V preouts and another member told me that i'll probably have to have my gains a little past 1/2 way but not more than 3/4 so I have my gains at or maybe a tiny bit under 1/2 way. I dont go higher than 45 volume (61 max) so im hoping its alright.
I know I need to get it set up properly but I just don't have the money to get a DD-1. I'd have to take it to an audio shop sometime but I don't trust any of the ones around here but looks like im going to have to.

Grab a volt meter and make sure you're getting 12+ volts with the car off.

Red probe to power wire @ amp.

Black to ground.

Just did that and im getting 12.34V

Edited by SoundOfViolence, 26 March 2012 - 04:44 PM.

bang'in in ga.

bang'in in ga.

120db

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio-Family and Friends- BASS and Disturbinya....
Garage View Garage
Take dmm and ohm out your ground wires, set meter to ohms, touch the red lead to the black lead, it should mack a signal sound,,,, then touch the red lead to one end of ground and the black to the other, you should get the same signal sound, if you do it meens you have no breakes in wire ,,,,, if you dont get it then you do ,,,,,and go a head and find a better place to ground,,,, fram if poss..................... just noticed you are running AQ750, if gain is to high it will do that too...............
  • Minivanfromhell -- Proud Member of Shut It Down Boyz & GEORGIA CAR AUDIO
Pioneer DEH-3400-UB
Vega 65 cs & 1" tweets & T3 4" coax in Front
1- Dual 300 with an AQ sticker
2-AQ sdc2.5 12's
1- AQ 1200D.1
Monster Cable RCA's
Monster Cable 4-awg
Custom 4 th order box ( by DBC )
Crescendo FT1's in rear- 1/0 Big Three
Opti Blue top in back for Mono Amp
Stinger Power dis. block
125 amp breaker at front batt.
Stock Alt.

mw02civic

mw02civic

125db

• Members
  • 278 posts
I have recently had a similar problem with my sub "popping" when i would turn my deck on or off. It was my ground. Moved it to a strut bolt and crimped and soldered the connector. Problem solved! Just my experience.

AA98hoe

AA98hoe

165db

• SMD Silver Member

• 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Installing car audio daily
Where's your turn on wire connected..... mine pop cause I hooked eq too ign rca signal Gets cut off before amp shuts off..I'm too lazy to change it lol
TEAM DC AUDIO
VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop
HEADUNIT:alpine 9886
PREAMP:arcaudio
FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door
KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4
REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s
HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors
SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV
SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s
ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket
WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back
BATTERIES:6-d1400s
TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Amart88

Amart88

SMD SILVER SUPPORTING MEMBER

• SMD Silver Member

• 2,095 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Girls, history & collecting militaria, Trucks, Computers, Gaming, Money.....
Just add a toggle switch on your remote wire so you control when the amps turn on and off. That is if the problem is not cause by grounds,eq's etc. That way you can turn the amps on after the car is started and before the car is turned off.

Edited by Amart88, 27 March 2012 - 07:30 AM.

n8ball2013

n8ball2013

Don't blame me for your stupidity

• Super Moderator

• 32,487 posts
its turn off/on pop its harmless.
THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!
1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab
Alpine CDA-9887
4 Digital Designs 9515
4 Orion 2500d
Orion 8004
3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets
Dual 300 amp Iraggi Alts
8 Optima yellow tops
Second Skin
Stinger
Tsunami Wiring
A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users