Sonic Electronix

Here is the issue with bass boost

It is like a secondary gain, but only at a certain frequency - typically 45hz

So you set your gain how it should be. All is good. Then you turn up the bass boost. Now whenever you play a note at the bass boost frequency - it clips. But it's only at that frequency.

Now, if you use the dd-1 to set the gain: it is set via a 40hz tone, but the bass boost amplifies 45hz with a rolloff above and below.

It breaks down like this:

40hz is lower than 45hz

Bass boost will amplify 45hz more than 40hz

40hz won't clip, but 45hz will

So really, the only way to accurately set bass boost is with an oscilloscope.

It's not bass boost that mystically causes clipping, it's people not knowing what it does and not setting gains to compensate.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will, the only reason ever to use bass boost is if you have a DROP in RESPONSE around where the boost is and you have testing equipement to verify how much you can boost without introducing clipping

plain and simple leave it off, set gain correctly so all notes passed through amp are amplified evenly otherwise you are just ruining the balance of the sub by boosting

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

will, the only reason ever to use bass boost is if you have a DROP in RESPONSE around where the boost is and you have testing equipement to verify how much you can boost without introducing clipping

plain and simple leave it off, set gain correctly so all notes passed through amp are amplified evenly otherwise you are just ruining the balance of the sub by boosting

thanks decaf

holy jebus im rolling.... this is funny

bass boost can be used for rock or quieter music, you should NEVER need it for rap music, EVER. you will find some companies limit it to 6dB to PREVENT user error because people think a knob magically makes bass better.

Bass Boost is a One Band EQ, usually centered at 45hz. Why, because kick drums are right there and a lot of rap beats fall there. The gain on the amp boosts all frequencies the amp plays evenly, using bass boost will ruin that evenness by boost only a small section of the overal signal it amplifies.

Example, song with 30hz note, 45hz note, 60hz note all even dB signal before being amplified. If you choose to use bass boost you just ruined that evenness of sound and can easily clip the amplifier.

If you use the DD-1 to set gains with a bass boost knob you will end up with quieter lows and high bass, but loud mid-sub bass(40-50hz), this is something undesired.

THANKS I NEEDED THAT HONESTLY I RIDE AROUND ALL DAY LISTENING TO MUSIC AND WORK AT A CAR AUDIO SHOP AND NEVER KNEW THE ACTUAL PURPOSE OF BASS BOOST YET I HAVE THE AMP AND THE KNOB ON MAX. I'VE SEEN NOTHING WRONG WITH MY SETUP, BUT I INTEND TO RETUNE MY THE FREQUENCIES SINCE I WANNA HIT REALLY DEEP LOWS I'LL TRY TURNING IT DOWN ALSO. THANKS FOR THE KNOWLEDGE IT WILL BE PASSED ON.

QUICK QUESTIONS I PRAY YOU KNOW... I JUST BOUGHT A PAIR OF BRAND NEW CVX 15'S AND I HEARD ABOUT THE BREAKING IN PERIOD, MY QUESTION IS... IS IT REALLY NECESSARY TO WAIT AND IF SO HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT BEFORE I CAN FEED THEM WHAT THEY'RE BEGGING ME FOR??? ALSO IS IT DUE TO ME HAVING MY BASS BOOST ON THAT WHEN I PLAY THE PUT ON INSTRUMENTAL THE LAST NOTE YOU BARELY HEAR UNLESS YOUR INSIDE MY CAR??? LAST BUT NOT LEAST WHAT IS A PERFECT TUNING FREQUENCY TO GET THE MOST OUT OF MY CVX 15'S??? THE SETUP IS A BRUITS 2400.1 SUPER CLASS D AMP WITH A SUPER BASS PROBOX HAVING 3.25 CUBIC FT PER CHAMBER IN A 2001 VW JETTA WAGON.

holy jebus im rolling.... this is funny

bass boost can be used for rock or quieter music, you should NEVER need it for rap music, EVER. you will find some companies limit it to 6dB to PREVENT user error because people think a knob magically makes bass better.

Bass Boost is a One Band EQ, usually centered at 45hz. Why, because kick drums are right there and a lot of rap beats fall there. The gain on the amp boosts all frequencies the amp plays evenly, using bass boost will ruin that evenness by boost only a small section of the overal signal it amplifies.

Example, song with 30hz note, 45hz note, 60hz note all even dB signal before being amplified. If you choose to use bass boost you just ruined that evenness of sound and can easily clip the amplifier.

If you use the DD-1 to set gains with a bass boost knob you will end up with quieter lows and high bass, but loud mid-sub bass(40-50hz), this is something undesired.

THANKS I NEEDED THAT HONESTLY I RIDE AROUND ALL DAY LISTENING TO MUSIC AND WORK AT A CAR AUDIO SHOP AND NEVER KNEW THE ACTUAL PURPOSE OF BASS BOOST YET I HAVE THE AMP AND THE KNOB ON MAX. I'VE SEEN NOTHING WRONG WITH MY SETUP, BUT I INTEND TO RETUNE MY THE FREQUENCIES SINCE I WANNA HIT REALLY DEEP LOWS I'LL TRY TURNING IT DOWN ALSO. THANKS FOR THE KNOWLEDGE IT WILL BE PASSED ON.

QUICK QUESTIONS I PRAY YOU KNOW... I JUST BOUGHT A PAIR OF BRAND NEW CVX 15'S AND I HEARD ABOUT THE BREAKING IN PERIOD, MY QUESTION IS... IS IT REALLY NECESSARY TO WAIT AND IF SO HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT BEFORE I CAN FEED THEM WHAT THEY'RE BEGGING ME FOR??? ALSO IS IT DUE TO ME HAVING MY BASS BOOST ON THAT WHEN I PLAY THE PUT ON INSTRUMENTAL THE LAST NOTE YOU BARELY HEAR UNLESS YOUR INSIDE MY CAR??? LAST BUT NOT LEAST WHAT IS A PERFECT TUNING FREQUENCY TO GET THE MOST OUT OF MY CVX 15'S??? THE SETUP IS A BRUITS 2400.1 SUPER CLASS D AMP WITH A SUPER BASS PROBOX HAVING 3.25 CUBIC FT PER CHAMBER IN A 2001 VW JETTA WAGON.

How long though that did it take you to realize your caps lock was on?

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw