2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS IB Trunk Build - RF Fi Infinity Pioneer XS Power MechMan SHCA Knu Gates ...

FOLLOW LOG FOR SPRING '14 UPGRADES! Larger MechMan, More XS Power, RF Stuff, SHCA Cable +, & more!!!

FOLLOW LOG FOR SPRING/SUMMER '13 UPGRADES! RF, Fi Audio, XS Power, MechMan, Stinger, Knu, & more!!!

Installed in Spring '12:

(Everything Is Box-Fresh New, ... except Kicker ZX550.3 - which I bought brand new in '05 ...)

Pioneer FH-P8000BT
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 (6.5" Components)
Kicker Comp C12 (2 12", 4-ohm, SVC)
Kicker 05ZX550.3 (1st Generation)
Axxess GMOS-01 & ASWC
Dynamat
4awg POS/NEG Runs
Big 3

Pioneer FH-P8000BT - AM/FM/CD/USB/iPod/AUX1/AUX2/BlueTooth ...
IMAG0422.jpg
PIONEERdeckAFTERinstall0001.jpg

Installing the Kappa Perfect 6.1 components in same location as the OEM components, w/ minimum modifications needed. XTC foams used to protect them, but cut open on the bottom backside to allow for venting & wire connections. Since the Infinity x-overs are so large, I am mounting them in the trunk, & keeping the front door panels in one piece, & everything will look OEM with the stock grilles untouched.
IMAG0340.jpg

IMAG0427_zpsd747d55a.jpg
IMAG0421.jpg
IMAG0428.jpg
IMAG0429.jpg

Amplifier is a Kicker 05ZX550.3 - 3 channel ... 2 channel stereo & a mono block side for the subs to run in 2 ohm mode ... Everything is new, including the amp ... even though its model year is 2005, & it is well-rated over its stated power, etc. (NOT my photo.)
Kicker-ZX5503.jpg

Kicker Comps. (NOT my photo.)
kickercomp.jpg

The trunk volume of a 2003 Monte Carlo is 15.8cf. NO part of the car's rear deck/chassis is being cut or altered whatsoever - which I think is important, ... I firmly believe in not messing with a vehicle's structural integrity.

This is my first time with an IB. I have always done the two 12's, sealed, & been done with it ... but the booomin' of those enclosures has worn thin on me after 20 years, ... so I wanted to do something different ... & something no one else around here has really done, or is doing, & certainly reclaiming trunk space for road trips, shopping, etc., is an extra, added bonus.

I am paying particularly close attention to wood thickness, & mixture of types of wood, & sandwiching the MDF to give the bass a "warmer" sound by eliminating any high-pitched echo effects from the denser MDF, etc. I will radius the openings slightly as the platform makes its last transition "up" from MDF to birch to help kill any air noise that may have wanted to creep up, & out ... I will break out the bondo for that task ... Smoooooothness ...

I do not expect too much vibration, but I will still use Liquid Nails to seal the "planks" together, & some coarse deck screws to further secure the structure. Additionally, I have large pieces of 1/2" - 1" of very dense foam in which to place between the top of the mounting platform, & the bottom of the rear deck ... looking in from the trunk ... where the factory amp/booster used to be ... I may have to use two pieces of foam, each one the FULL size of the rear deck, to get the desired leveled mounting. Besides the nearly 1" pieces I do have, I have as thin as 1/4" ... Therefore I do have options, & am not left to shove this in there with 2" or 3" of foam, & being left to deal with it.

The type of IB platform/baffle I am building here is the following: One piece of 3/4" MDF sandwiched between two pieces of 3/4" genuine baltic birch. Then a ring of 3/4" birch is glued, screwed, & bondo'd to the bottom, & the sub will be screwed to the rings, & "hang" on either side like a cow's utters so they can "fire" up through the rear deck where the OEM 6x9's used to be housed.
IMAG0344.jpg
IMAG0404.jpg
IMAG0440.jpg
IMAG0441.jpg
IMAG0432_zpse763760a.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg
IMAG0348.jpg
IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

IMAG0433_zpsd3137e2a.jpgIMAG0442_zps8f19bc33.jpg

Well, this is what I have for right now, hopefully I have grabbed someone's attention enough that he/she got this far in the post.

Leave a MSG! Follow me! Give me warm wishes. Criticism. Bitch me out! Just do NOT tell me that Ford's are better!!!

*** EDITED IN 2014 BECAUSE PHOTOBUCKET SCREWED UP MY LINKS & FOR HEADER CHANGES ***

Zeke

'14

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

Fi IB3 (Two 12", 2-ohm SVC)

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

311-vector-logo_zps0d152f73.png sutliffSig_zpsb1df26dd.png

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those Montes have such Big trunks. You went a long way to get the IB setup to work. I'm surprised no one has commented on this build before me. I don't see many finished product pics, but it looks like a clean install. You're gonna step up to some Fi IB Series subs huh? You mentioned that you've always gone sealed, but why did you never try ported?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

:stfu:

I can't stop building!!!

4 DC LeveL 4XL 18 Blow Through Re-Build
The newest addition My '97 Ford Explorer Build
My First Build 8 RF P1 12's
My Myspace Add Me
My Facebook Add Me

oh, your a hypocrite too bro.....your mom has my name on her left tit - and you still like her dont you?

If youre masturbating to that sub already, wait until you get a real sub... I think your nutsack will shrivel up.

Everything looks great, I like how the components are angled stock, all of my vehicles the components just pointed straight out at your feet.

You will gain some output if you were to completely seal off the trunk, because that will keep the rear waves from making way into the cabin, which cancels the front waves. But, I do like how you managed your baffle, as it's pretty much the only way you get get a real IB without a lot more work, and modification to the vehicle.

Keep us posted on your progress man, I look forward to it!

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

:stfu:

There are nearly 20 photos in my OP, so I do not know what you are talking about with the cute .gif. (?)

Zeke

'14

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

Those Montes have such Big trunks. You went a long way to get the IB setup to work. I'm surprised no one has commented on this build before me. I don't see many finished product pics, but it looks like a clean install. You're gonna step up to some Fi IB Series subs huh? You mentioned that you've always gone sealed, but why did you never try ported?

Thanks for the compliments, & yes, I had in my mind all the way that I was building for the future with the baffle. I did not know for sure what woofer I was going to go with, but I did know Fi made a dedicated IB driver.

Back in college, I built an awesome ported box (two 10") off specs that my friend gave me from a program he had - TermPro.

The reason this time I went for an IB set up was the idea of gaining some space back in my trunk(s), ... & it has worked out well. And like you said, ... at 15.8cf, the trunk of a 2000-05 Monte Carlo are cavernous, also, I wanted to challenge myself, & to prove that I could make it work in the way I wanted ----> NOT hacking into the rear deck whatsoever. So Pop & I set about on doing just that, & I am more than pleased.

Zeke

'14

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

Everything looks great, I like how the components are angled stock, all of my vehicles the components just pointed straight out at your feet.

You will gain some output if you were to completely seal off the trunk, because that will keep the rear waves from making way into the cabin, which cancels the front waves. But, I do like how you managed your baffle, as it's pretty much the only way you get get a real IB without a lot more work, and modification to the vehicle.

Keep us posted on your progress man, I look forward to it!

Thank you as well.

As for sealing off, that thick foam worked like like a charm when we mounted it. There are eleven anchor points, & we just drew it up nice & level, & tight all the way around, & in the center so it was not only rattle/vibration-proof, but that it would be sealed off from the back waves, at least from the rear deck standpoint. I know there is a portion that leaks through where the seats are, which I am going to solve when I finally make my amp(s) purchase, & make a wall for them with all the nonsense wiring behind it, & seal it some way around the edges, & that should do the trick ... for as far as I can go being disabled, & for not being in this for the game of big time show or competition.

I am proud that I have always done clean installs, no hacking up door panels without "measuring twice", etc., & stuff in the trunk or back of a friend's Trailblazer, ... which was laid out twice before basically standing over him & directing him how to do it so he could do it himself on his next vehicle, & show another person down the line. I am no master of any of this, but an important friend of mine in 1992, Christopher, taught me, & I like to pass it along. :) (Ooops, ... I got all sentimental & shit.)

Zeke

'14

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

MONTEside0002.jpg
MONTEside0006.jpg

frontSTRIPES001.jpg

MONTEside0005.jpgtrunklidANGLE001.jpg

driversMIRROR001.jpg[

[trunkBOWTIEdesign001.jpgairINTAKE0002.jpg

airINTAKE0001.jpg

MONTEjasonSITTINGinside.jpg

driversMIRROR001.jpg
IMAG0449.jpg
IMAG0130.jpg
IMAG0132_zpsa54ef335.jpg

*** EDITED IN 2014 BECAUSE PHOTOBUCKET SCREWED UP MY LINKS ***

Zeke

'14

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

Cold Air Inductions, Inc. cold air intake
L67 coil swap
BMR Suspension Strut Tower Brace (front)
Amsoil 5w-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic

Amsoil Ea Oil Filter

SuperBrightLEDs.com LED fixtures all around, & inside.

Lows: Philips DiamondVision 5000K HB4 (55W)
Highs: Philips DiamondVision 5000K HB3 (65W)
Fogs: Philips CrystalVision 4000K 883 (37.5W)
(Yeah, I am a Philips brand whore. Same with Amsoil, Wix, & Raybestos.)

My "Vehicles" info link is pretty thorough, ... check it out. Any other questions? Ask away.

EDIT: Spec change ...

Zeke

'14

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

Archived