Is this a good clamp meter?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, Thanks for the help guys. I am on the fence between the Klein and the craftsman... Both are great deals. The craftsman is 110.00 and the Klein is 139.99. Decisions decisions...

sorry for the bad quick comment and making you purchase the wrong thing!! I feel like a dumbass, but heres another suggestion that I will purchase soon. I have their DMM and its inexpensive but the quality is nice, it also has a hold feature :D

http://www.homedepot...ter-293663.html

also since its from homedepot you can return it if it doesnt do what you want it to do which is always nice

This is another bad meter imo.

some dont like my freely spoken opinions because they cant handle the truth at times. bahahha

Another draw back with this meter is IT IS NOT TRUE RMS, this is a must have when buying a good clamp meter and even a multimeter. True RMS will give you more realistic readings, and wont make you do extra calculations to get the correct power clamp numbers. However you need a TRUE RMS multimeter too.

That clamp only appears to be good up to 200Amps, 200amps wont test most highoutput alternators, or even 1/0 gauge power wires that easily exceed 200+ amps of current if not closer to 300amps dependant of install.

Its also lacking the auto min/max hold feature. Its KEY when your testing by yourself!!!! otherwise you need 2 people to do a simple clamp test.

If the clamp meter has a button that says "HOLD" remember it will only "hold" the number shown on the display when you manually push the hold button. It wont automatically hold the minimum, maximum, or average current/voltage readings.

This feature is KEY!!!!!!

Also keep in mind the Fluke 321 and fluke 322 do not appear to be True RMS clamps. 99% of the time it will say True RMS right on the meters.

This is the one I have:

http://www.homedepot...n&storeId=10051

It only goes to 400 amps but it does what I need it to do. It's AC and DC, true RMS, peak hold, and has never let me down. Some people don't like Klein now in days just because they use to be all American made but they now have factories in China as well and others have had bad luck with them. We use Fluke products at work, I use Klein, my dad uses Craftsman, and I have a buddy that uses a Milwaukee meter and they all work great. Matter of personal preference and needs I guess. Just my two cents...

This meter is legit. True RMS, min/max hold, and ac/dc current up to 400 amps. While the amperage is not the highest that it can read, it would be ideal for most car audio applications, unless you have a few alternators under your hood like 2 DC Power 270XP's and a 390XP, so for me something with higher amperage readings are needed. but to the average guy, 400amps should be more than sufficient.

Is this the one your talking about http://www.sears.com.../p-03473756000P

This is the meter i have and tested with in a few amps of a fluke 337, and dead on with the 2 fluke clamps i pictured of my buddies (the fluke 33 and 321).

Its feature packed, AC/DC voltage & amperage up to 800amps! True RMS, min/max/avg automatic holds (plus additional manual hold button), has a zero key to zero out the meter, and cheaper than other meters mentioned thus far.

Like I said the downfall to this meter is the lag. It reads accuratly, however where as the fluke reads almost instantly like lets say 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 the craftsman pro would read like 1,3,5,7,9 At the end the numbers are the same, but the refresh rate is a like a half second slower or so.

And like I said, also check out some Sperry units too!

I recommended that one bc kevin from skar uses it. Does that mean his reading could possible be off?

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

I think ill go with the Klein, Found a great deal

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003LH7NH2

EDIT: wow nvm, appearently amazon.COM can't ship to canada and the .CA is sold out. pffff worthless

Do it soon, only one left in stock. Highly doubt you will be let down. Also, just an fyi, that Klein has a magnet built into the back so you can stick the meter to a fender or hood and use the leads hands free from the meter. Kinda nice when checking voltages and ground locations.

Do it soon, only one left in stock. Highly doubt you will be let down. Also, just an fyi, that Klein has a magnet built into the back so you can stick the meter to a fender or hood and use the leads hands free from the meter. Kinda nice when checking voltages and ground locations.

Yep, that is the one i want but damn, hard to find one that will ship to Canada.... Maybe i'll try home depot

EDIT: AGAIN: Found another CL2000 on amazon, ordered it. Should be here 5-10 days :S o well.

#just saying lol

Read my post what I said about the drawbacks of the craftsman clamp. and Tommy does not know how to use the Zero key on the craftsman.

Here let me requote that for you...

This is the meter i have and tested with in a few amps of a fluke 337, and dead on with the 2 fluke clamps i pictured of my buddies (the fluke 33 and 321).

Its feature packed, AC/DC voltage & amperage up to 800amps! True RMS, min/max/avg automatic holds (plus additional manual hold button), has a zero key to zero out the meter, and cheaper than other meters mentioned thus far.

Like I said the downfall to this meter is the lag. It reads accuratly, however where as the fluke reads almost instantly like lets say 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 the craftsman pro would read like 1,3,5,7,9 At the end the numbers are the same, but the refresh rate is a like a half second slower or so.

The fluke 337 is almost $400 and now discontinued, the new replacement is not to special imo.. The Craftsman Pro is a little over $100...

Im sorry, but almost a $300 price difference does not justify a few amps difference or as fast reading. None the less most of you guys that are going to be testing dont even compete, or even have a termlab at your disposal to put your clamped power wattage against a score to see your scores while testing.

sorry for the bad quick comment and making you purchase the wrong thing!! I feel like a dumbass, but heres another suggestion that I will purchase soon. I have their DMM and its inexpensive but the quality is nice, it also has a hold feature :D

http://www.homedepot...ter-293663.html

also since its from homedepot you can return it if it doesnt do what you want it to do which is always nice

lol thats a "hold" button. not a peak hold. and it only goes to 200amps.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

That Klein CL2000 is a great choice if you're like me and don't have a lot of power to measure and are on a budget. Like I said, mine has never let me down. May not be the best out there as far as features go but I love it.

HU: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X791

Fronts: Image Dynamics CTX65CS

Rears: Image Dynamics CTX69

Subs: 2, 12" Boston Acoustics G5 w/ GTR passive radiators

4-channel amp: MB Quart ONX4.125

Sub amp: Kicker ZX750.1 ('07 model, 926 watts RMS @ 2ohms rated)

1/0 awg Rockford Fosgate & KnuKonceptz wiring all around

XS Power D5100R main battery

Coming soon: Mechman 220 amp alternator & Sundown Audio 125.4

i got one from snap on just cuz it does over 400 amps which is helpful. yea you have to use a muti meter with it but whatever.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=649396&group_ID=675529&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

Archived