Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Argument: Fosgate 1/0 vs. Knukonceptz Kollosus

41 replies to this topic

Cashdollar2009

Cashdollar2009

150db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Hunting, Outdoors, Snowboarding, Wakeboarding, being loud.
I am not looking to purchase either, I just need an argument as to why Knu wire being tinned does not make it any worse of a wire than Rockford Fosgate 1/0. I work at a shop, and everyone here is a Rockford nuthugger, having never heard of DC Audio, Sundown Audio, Audioque, Knukonceptz, XS Power, Mechman, Singer, DC Power, Second Skin, etc. I brought in a sample of Knu Flex and all I got was: Ahhhh, but it's tinned. Rockford still has the best wire available today. Since it is tinned, the strand count is irrelevant.

I typically just shrug half of the "Rockford has da best..... errrthang" things off, but the wire is just bugging me...

P.S. I have two runs of Fosgate 1/0 in my personal vehicle as I get accomodation pricing through the shop making it cheaper than Knu, so it is not like I have anything against them, just would like a little bit more education in this area. Obviously it works, and it works great at that.

Thanks guys.

1997 Cevrolet Cavalier
Two 12" DC Audio XL M2's
Crescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

Posted Image

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Zapanater

Zapanater

SMD SUPPORTING MEMBER

• SMD Bronze Member
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Tuning, racing, being loud
As I understand, tin makes it better. The tinning is so thin as to be irrelevant, and prevents corrosion. Now is one better than the other? I don't know, this is just my two cents.
1994 Ford Probe Modded KL-ZE 2.5L V6 210+ Horses!
Two 15" Image Dynamics IDSPLs
US Amps USA 100HC (Subs)
US Amps USA 50HC (Mids, Highs)
7 cubes at 28hz
Kicker 0 Gauge
My Build Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

jbondox

jbondox

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 850 posts
  • Interests:F1, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, McLaren, Maserati, Spyker, Fisker, Lotus, Hotties, Audio, Video, Installations, speed ....
I think the only one that will ever notice is the electron...

SMD SuperSeller Verified[color=rgb(51,153,255);]JbondoX[/color][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]James Shields[/font]

Cashdollar2009

Cashdollar2009

150db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Hunting, Outdoors, Snowboarding, Wakeboarding, being loud.

I see what you were trying to do there...

But that does not help my physical argument with my fellow employees and boss sir. lol

1997 Cevrolet Cavalier
Two 12" DC Audio XL M2's
Crescendo Audio BC5500d

Posted Image

Chris Hammer

Chris Hammer

• Members

• 4,228 posts
  • Interests:MX, Streetbike, Car audio, Swimming,hiking,and shit tons of other stuff.
Whats the strand count on both. Tinned doesnt do anything but prevent corrosion. Tinned wire is beter suited for marine use etc...and should last longer in a enviroment that would cause copper to corrode.

I remember reading alot on some home audio threads and with testing someone showed there is no difference as far as conductivity/resistance/etc....but tinned wire prevents corrosion. Corrosion will only affect the wire if its at the termination/connection to you amp or ring terminal etc.

Whichever wire has higher stand count/biggest size(without jacket) is better.

Edited by Chris Hammer, 26 July 2012 - 03:46 PM.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles
2005 GMC Canyon
CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)
crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.
CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:
Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Cashdollar2009

Cashdollar2009

150db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 1,553 posts
Fosgate: 4704
Knu: 5145

1997 Cevrolet Cavalier
Two 12" DC Audio XL M2's
Crescendo Audio BC5500d

Posted Image

RooTxBeeR

RooTxBeeR

170db

• Members

• 4,691 posts
  • Interests:Car audio and BMX!

By that standard, knu

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

Clip city bitch, clip clip city bitch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames bitch.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

Old Deceased Build

'91 Honda Civic Hatchback

Current Build

'04 Ford Escape

1Awg positive run to the back 
TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Rockford R1652-S In Front
Rockford R1675 In Rear
RF R300-4
AQ750 @ 1 ohm
8.0Cuft box @ 32Hz
(2) 15" Skar IVX-15

Cashdollar2009

Cashdollar2009

150db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 1,553 posts
Obviously Knu is cheaper to the average consumer, and obviously Knu has a higher strand count, so why would it not be considered a better wire?

I am just trying to make sure 100% that it is just their erection for Rockford, and not mainly his 18 years of experience saying that it being tinned deems it less effective for a dry, car stereo application. Assuming that neither vehicle will be playing in flood waters.

The only valid points, well, that I would consider valid is that pure copper is a better conductor than tin, so if the tin content is high enough, it may leave less copper than what is present in the Rockford wire.

1997 Cevrolet Cavalier
Two 12" DC Audio XL M2's
Crescendo Audio BC5500d

Posted Image

Chris Hammer

Chris Hammer

• Members

• 4,228 posts
  • Interests:MX, Streetbike, Car audio, Swimming,hiking,and shit tons of other stuff.

I seem to remember from the thread that directly compared wire that Knu was also larger after being stripped. Both OFC but the knu has higher strand count, larger, tinned. Knu's the winner in my book. BUT...would I hesitate to use the Rockford wire.....No i would use that if I got a deal on it..and I wouldnt look back.

Vehicles
2005 GMC Canyon
CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)
crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

Sold to:

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Chris Hammer

Chris Hammer

• Members

• 4,228 posts

Obviously Knu is cheaper to the average consumer, and obviously Knu has a higher strand count, so why would it not be considered a better wire?

I am just trying to make sure 100% that it is just their erection for Rockford, and not mainly his 18 years of experience saying that it being tinned deems it less effective for a dry, car stereo application. Assuming that neither vehicle will be playing in flood waters.

The only valid points, well, that I would consider valid is that pure copper is a better conductor than tin, so if the tin content is high enough, it may leave less copper than what is present in the Rockford wire.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that when they "tin" the copper wire they use the electroplating method..... The amount of other metal present on the surface of the wire is so small i would consider it negligable.

Vehicles
2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

jbondox

jbondox

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 850 posts
  • Interests:F1, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, McLaren, Maserati, Spyker, Fisker, Lotus, Hotties, Audio, Video, Installations, speed ....

I see what you were trying to do there...

But that does not help my physical argument with my fellow employees and boss sir. lol

I am no physicist, but love physics, however, there shouldn't even be an argument. I always loved these arguments in the past, and used to tell everyone to open up their amp and explain the little traces that need 1 awg going to them. so basically, unless you are in the wire selling business, both will skin the cat... marketeers are the ones that swear buy it, which i will be happy to ask; "Can you hear the difference between the 441 strands not being used?"

SMD SuperSeller Verified[color=rgb(51,153,255);]JbondoX[/color][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]James Shields[/font]

b-dubs89

b-dubs89

135db

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:moving air , good music on a good system , chess ,tinkering , things of scientific nature
i have the rf 0 gauge dual amp kit , and i also have some knu 10 gauge speaker wire they both seem to be some good quality wires , the only thing i have noticed between the knu and rf stuff that i have is that the rf takes solder easier than the knu that i have .

KyLar96

KyLar96

S I N N E R

• SMD Gold Member

• 17,341 posts
  • Interests:Medications
Garage View Garage
I have no argument,.... I have both types of cable in my car. But, i have some questions for you cats out there if thats cool??

Is there different "types" of RF cable?........Is there a good, better, best, ??????????????..... i bought an entire spool from a guy, that i thought was great shit, and gave him 40 dollars for it. I thought i had bought some great stuff, and now, you have me thinking, he dicked me????......

I have a pic in my log,... let me look of the spool i snagged, and ill post it,... if i can find it........... but, i would much like some info, and opinions......

TIA guys....

Edited by KyLar96, 26 July 2012 - 05:46 PM.

b-dubs89

b-dubs89

135db

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:moving air , good music on a good system , chess ,tinkering , things of scientific nature
as far as i know rf only has ofc power wire , the ground in my rf kit has tinned copper which is ok , most solder is an alloy of tin and silver or lead .

KyLar96

KyLar96

S I N N E R

• SMD Gold Member

• 17,341 posts
Garage View Garage
This is what is all through out my car,...Only 2 runs, front to back, (A Ce auto kit does my charging demands) ... and, it sucked balls running, and stashing it,

... man,...... now im trippin a bit that it isnt all that..... oh well,....... it was very flexible, and seemed like a dream to me?...... but, again, i dont know much about this end of the deal.

Posted Image

alaskanzx5

alaskanzx5

170db

• Members
  • 4,556 posts
  • Interests:My kids, cars, music, movies, outdoors
Garage View Garage
40 to do 2 runs of 1/0 guage front to back? and its rockford? sounds like a killer deal to me. as long as on the wire it says rockford 1/0 guage then it was a great deal...

2000 ford focus zx3 hatchback

Rockford build

2 t2d415

2 punch pro 6.5

2 punch pro tweets

1 t1500.1bdcp

1 t400.4

250amp singer alt

10 farad Rockford carbon cap

pioneer deh-80prs

still to get

1 t1500.1bdcp

batteries

more wire

external regulator

power series comp set

might sell the t400.4 to buy 2 t400x4ab

box and fiberglassing material

KyLar96

KyLar96

S I N N E R

• SMD Gold Member

• 17,341 posts
Garage View Garage
I paid 40 for the entire spool bro..........50 ft.

Thats why i thought i raped, until reading this thread,..... Hell, i still have 20 ft or so.........

alaskanzx5

alaskanzx5

170db

• Members
  • 4,556 posts
  • Interests:My kids, cars, music, movies, outdoors
Garage View Garage
well, if you got a full 50ft for 40 bucks thats a killer deal. rockford 1/0 wire sells for about $8 a foot. you only paid 10% of the total cost of that wire. as long as it says rockford fosgate 1/0 guage on the wire its true rockford wire and was a great deal.

knu wire might have a higher strand count but rockford wire is still no joke. as long as your voltage holds up good i would see no reason to stress it. if voltage isnt the best well. get a xs power batt for under the hood then.

2000 ford focus zx3 hatchback

Rockford build

2 t2d415

2 punch pro 6.5

2 punch pro tweets

1 t1500.1bdcp

1 t400.4

250amp singer alt

10 farad Rockford carbon cap

pioneer deh-80prs

still to get

1 t1500.1bdcp

batteries

more wire

external regulator

power series comp set

might sell the t400.4 to buy 2 t400x4ab

box and fiberglassing material

KyLar96

KyLar96

S I N N E R

• SMD Gold Member

• 17,341 posts
Garage View Garage

well, if you got a full 50ft for 40 bucks thats a killer deal. rockford 1/0 wire sells for about $8 a foot. you only paid 10% of the total cost of that wire. as long as it says rockford fosgate 1/0 guage on the wire its true rockford wire and was a great deal.

knu wire might have a higher strand count but rockford wire is still no joke. as long as your voltage holds up good i would see no reason to stress it. if voltage isnt the best well. get a xs power batt for under the hood then.

Wurd,
Got a D3100 in the rear, along with my front bat, getting ripped up by a SINGER alty. Lol, im solid, i was just wondering the big deal on this topic was all......... but thanks

Edited by KyLar96, 26 July 2012 - 06:18 PM.

b-dubs89

b-dubs89

135db

• Members
  • 605 posts
i think you got a steal of a deal , i paid $240 for the big rf 0 gauge dual amp kit , but it did come with patch cords and speaker wire and terminals . i am fairly confident that rf's wires are excellent quality . the fact that running rf's wireing buys you another year of warranty on their amp should mean something ?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users