500amps with 220 alt

IIRC, aren't Audi's electrical systems different from other manufacturers? I remember trying to jump start my boss' Audi and we were trying to figure out if it was the battery or the alternator that went out. We unplugged the positive battery cable, but it didnt work like normal. Audi's are wired differently. Not sure if this is going to cause an issue with you or not, but thought I'd throw that out there. Plus in his car, the alternator meant he had to remove the front driver's side tire, open up the wheel well, and there was his alternator stuck back in there. I think the battery was back in there too. Make sure you are getting the right equipment since it's an Audi. Not sure if anything has change and like I said, not sure if this will cause you an issue when installing and running a system or not.

What sort of Audi was that?! In my A4 Avant the alt is at the top of the engine at the front side and the battery up at the top on the windscreen side.

Audi A4 Avant

Dual 210a Alts - Spl Dynamics D6 - 2 x Fi SP4 15

Boot Install

How is this determind?

You're vehicle runs off of the electrical output of your alternator. The battery is there for starting and reserve capacity. If you have 500 amps of current draw you need a way to produce 500 amps worth of current. If you only have a 220 amp alternator you will max that out and then it will start to pull off of the battery to get the remaining amperage the system needs. But it will only be able to do this until the reserve capacity in the battery is drained. So you either need a bigger alternator and a few batteries or you need a battery bank with charging system that you can plug in over night to keep the batteries topped off like other people have suggested.

• 1 month later...

So if i was to get a 320-375 alt to reaplace the 220 how much battery will i need with either or? I am trying to keep the weight down. With the box, speakers, and amps thats like 200 extra pounds. The bats will add a extra 150 add that up and thats like one fat girl in my car (350 ibs). I dont think my st coil overs can take big girls. lol

King dingalingIts not finished till i say so Bit@^!

Archived