Please Explain A Normally Open Relay VS. Normally Closed

I am trying to wire the keyless entry up on my truck to work with my viper alarm. I already have power locks. I know I need a relay but I am confused on the difference between a normally open or a normally closed. An example for each would be nice! Also, how do I know what kind I need? How do I know what kind of door locks I have?

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

A normally open is one that is an open circuit until you put voltage and a signal to it. A normally closed relay is one that is a complete circuit and therefore allows voltage to pass through it until it gets a signal and then it opens the circuit. Think of your relay as if it were two ends of as wire. If it is normally open, then the two wires are not connected. Once you put voltage to each wire and "signal" the relay to switch, it will close the circuit, which is like touching those two wire ends to one another. A normally closed circuit works the opposite way and can actually pass voltage without a signal being applied to it at all.

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

normaly open the cricut is open as in power going threw untill its told to cut the cricut

normaly closed the relay does not allow any power threw it untill a 12 volt source tells it to open and let power threw

sorry, you have that backwards

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

okay sweet! So how do I wire a normally closed relay into my locks. I have a viper 350 2 way responder I am using. There are 2 wires that are supposed to go to the lock wires. says (-) Unlock, (+) lock output for the green wire and then the blue says (-) lock, (+) unlock output. What the hell does that mean? thanks for the help guys

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Hmm, I thought they both are the same relay, it just depends on how they are wired. Cause I can take any relay and make it be either way, depending on what I need.

Huh, where's Tony C when you need him?

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Hmm, I thought they both are the same relay, it just depends on how they are wired. Cause I can take any relay and make it be either way, depending on what I need.

Huh, where's Tony C when you need him?

A double throw (5-pin) relay ~usually~ has one N.O. circuit & one N.C. - so depending on which pins you use.

'09 Sierra Ext Cab - under construction

(1) RF T2500-1 -running- (4) RF T1 12's

(1) RF T1000-4 -running- (2) RF T1652-S

Stock alt / battery -plus- (1) DC Power 230a & (2) Kinetik 1800

Buncha OFC Knu

Buncha Second Skin

Kenwood DDX814 - Alpine Imprint - RF 360.3

Archived