hey guys! this if my first build log! i've had a couple different systems in my truck but it's time to finally build one and make it a clean install.

i wasn't gonna start this until i started the system i really want, but right now i don't have the money. but i figured i could use all the help i can get with this one cause im kind of using it as practice for when i have the money for my other system. so opinions welcomed!!

so the plan right now is to get my Memphis PR1.1000 fixed and also build a box for this 12" JL sub i have.
the transistors for the amp should be here tomorrow or thursday!

anyways i figured i should start from when i bought the truck and show how it's gotten to it's state it's in right now, so get ready for the pictures!

when i first bought it
WP_001102.jpg

ok so the bad:
front bumper
rear window
interior is a wreck
and honestly the body has quite a few scratches and what not but oh well i got it to haul my toys.
WP_001195.jpg

gross seats. you can see this is in between tearing stuff apart inside.
WP_001210.jpg

soo all in all this is what i ended up doing to the truck before i even started driving it,

new seats from 2000 ranger
new glove box
new vinyl flooring
installed passenger air bag
new front bumper
tow package installed
new shocks all around
new air vacuum idle control valve
new rear window
new front auto locking hubs

audio wise:
4ga stinger ofc wiring
0ga stinger cca wiring (didn't know the diff between ofc and cca at the time)
Pioneer deck from my other car
Memphis PR1.100
2 JL 12's in a ported box tuned to like 32hz or something (i figured it out a while ago)

soo that's the list from when i started driving it.
heres some pic!

old window out finally
WP_001201.jpg

the memphis from when i bought it
WP_001228.jpg

the JL's (and yes i know they're missing the dust caps. i got them for cheap from when i bought the amp)
WP_001229.jpg

new window in
WP_001256.jpg

the new seats
WP_001265.jpg

the new air bag
WP_001271.jpg

air bag installed. yay for safety!!!
WP_001272.jpg

ok so putting the vinyl flooring was a pain in the rear (thanks to my friend who helped me with that!!) but it was worth it.
so here's the new flooring with one seat installed
WP_001278.jpg

ok so now more onto the audio stuff. here's running all the wiring from the dash. i wired the car to run 2 amps and at the time i didn't know about using a relay to do it correctly but i'll change that when i am gonna run 2 amps again.
WP_001262.jpg

here's the two fuse holders that came with the wiring
WP_001279.jpg

some of the wiring..
WP_001277.jpg

here's how i had the memphis mounted and with the subs in it was kind of hidden which was nice cause it wasn't able to be stolen.
but i had a leak in my rear window that i didn't know about and so you can see how water easily dripped down into the amp and thats why it's broken at the moment...... :angry22: i don't suggest mounting an amp there.....
WP_001275.jpg

to fit the plug through for my bass knob and the rca's for my aux in i had to shave out a part of the little pocket thing under my head unit
WP_001399.jpg

just noticed i didn't have any pics of the dash together from when i did all this so i just took some
WP_001810.jpg

WP_001811.jpg

ugh well i can't load any more pictures of something so i'll have to do the rest in post 2 :P

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so now onto the subs. i got them for really cheep and so i didn't care too much about them. though i figured the no dustcaps was a problem. so in had some extra plexi glass from another projects with my friends so here's me making new dust caps.

now before you say anything, they didn't work. they fell off a week later and plus they were to heavy for the subs to push around. so i don't have them on anymore and im probly gonna order some actual replacment dust caps here before i get my box done.

though if anyone has an excellent way to make one from stuff at home then let me know!

anyways just some cool build pics

WP_001235.jpg

WP_001237.jpg

got both cut out and test fitted

WP_001238.jpg

taping off for sealant

WP_001239.jpg

WP_001240.jpg

WP_001241.jpg

ok now time for the sealant!

WP_001242.jpg

WP_001243.jpg

WP_001248.jpg

ok now time to pull off the tape!

WP_001246.jpg

and now the finished product

WP_001250.jpg

WP_001249.jpg

WP_001253.jpg

and now here's them when they were in my truck..

WP_001280.jpg

ok so that's pretty much what my truck was like when i started driving it.

oh and on a side note. i had to rebuild the motor (pretty much) just before i left for fall quarter so here's some pics from that.

WP_001750.jpg

WP_001766.jpg

i pulled the whole motor thinking it was bad bearings that caused no oil pressure just to find out it was my cam position sensor!! man that sucked.

the end of the cam position sensor.

WP_001763.jpg

anyways got it all back together and running in time to drive the 12 hours to school and only had an hour to spare before my class started. talk about cutting it close!

so almost getting up to date now.

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Lookin good! Are you gonna try to seal the back window before you throw the Memphis back in there? I'd hate to see that happen a second time...

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

ok so as i mentioned before, during this last spring i was driving my truck after a night of rain and my amp suddenly smoked a ton and got fried

here's a couple pics from pulling it apart and taking out the bad transistors. as i said up there i finally got off my lazy butt and ordered some new ones and they should be here in the next couple days!

the damage.

WP_001615.jpg

WP_001631.jpg

got all of them pulled

WP_001632.jpg

the bad ones

WP_001634.jpg

and heres an amp guts pic just cause :P

DSCF2626_zps5bc464f0.jpg

ok so long story short i got really tired of just absolutely nothing as far as bass in my truck. and that's when i started to look into building my own boxes and really trying to learn a lot about car audio. i actually started coming on here a lot and i decided to try to build a t-line for this little 8" kicker free air sub i had lying around. just for practice and fun. it was never meant to look pretty or anything, it was just meant to see what a t-line would be like for an 8".

anyways here's the build from that. i also did this in the spring too.

designing!

WP_001679.jpg

F8cTline2.png

F8cTline.png

got the wood and ready to cut!

WP_001680.jpg

(this makes it seem like it didn't take hours to cut) but here's all the cuts done! and with a skill saw :P

WP_001683.jpg

btw when i do this next box im finding a lot better tools. i just did this one with the stuff i had and that's why it aint the prettiest. but inside all the lengths and stuff are perfect.

first mock up

WP_001684.jpg

cutting sub hole with a drill (i don't suggest it)

WP_001691.jpg

good thing no one will see this edge when sub is it!

WP_001692.jpg

got some walls on

WP_001695.jpg

getting there!

WP_001696.jpg

just need the baffle on!

WP_001700.jpg

and done!!

WP_001701.jpg

ok so now that's what i have in my truck at the moment and it's just enough to fill in the bass and let the mids and highs only take the mids and highs lol

he's a couple pics of it and sorry it's such a bloody mess in there at the moment.

WP_001812.jpg

and the amp thats pushing like maybe 150rms. again sorry for the wiring, this is why i wanna do a clean install on this next one.

WP_001813.jpg

ok so now im finally at where my truck sits right now...phew!

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

wow....alot of work already

yeaaaahhh, there's times where i don't even wanna look at the thing cause im so tired of working on it. like when i just got done pulling the motor and rebuilding it like last month.

but snow's coming soon so i won't be able to ride my cbr to school and back everyday so that's why im working on my system so i can at least have music lol

Lookin good! Are you gonna try to seal the back window before you throw the Memphis back in there? I'd hate to see that happen a second time...

oh gosh yeah :P the guy im living with said he has some awesome sealant stuff that we're gonna go over the window and cab light with just to make sure and hopefully fix it. i also don't want a soggy and warped box that i just spent 10 hours on.....

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

ok so now to the future. for right now im planning on building a t-line for one of those JL

still need to order a new dust cap for it but if any of you guys know of a way to make a good one at home let me know!

here's the designing of the t-line

working numbers by hand

WP_001794.jpg

and now in sketch up

t-line3bend.png

showinghowbafflecantgoallacross.png

the way i have to do the double baffle

t-line3bendbaffleopt1.png

t-line3bendbuilt1.png

i was originally concidering a 2 bend design and so here's the 8" and the 2 12" designs.

compz.png

here's the cut sheet i made

T-line3Bend24Hzcutoutsheet1.png

T-line3Bend24Hzcutoutsheet2.png

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Time to get to work!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

im trying!

so when i bought the memphis i also got a ultima battery top terminal thing made by tsunami for free from the guy and in the center of it there was this volt meter.

well i pulled it apart to get at the volt meter and even though it's all oblong and awkward im thinking of a couple ways to make it so the display will be a little separate from the board. i also need to take off the led and that chip i pulled off is a timing chip to turn off the display after a bit. (cause when it's on the bat it doesn't need to be on all the time and drain the batt)

anywho, here's a quick vid i shot while i was at school testing the accuracy of the guy and also making sure i had it calculated right. pretty dang good if you ask me!

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Archived