Hey guys, just recently built my first box for my Sundown Audio SA-12, I uploaded a video and pics to the box build thread, so I figured shit now I'm hooked on doing this whole car up, so I better start a build thread. Here is the link to my box build http://www.stevemead...-a-2010-cobalt/

And here is a recent video I shot with my shitty phone camera, sorry guys, it doesn't pick up on fast movements worth a damn but it's the best I got to shoot with for now.

I have some B-Stock Damplifier on the way right now and the fiance got me a set of pioneer 6.5" TS-G1644R so that both of my front speakers will finally work, and I have a set of alpine type E 6x9's in the garage waiting to go in. Also have a pretty good sized roll of 0 gauge welding wire sitting in there that's been calling my name... Once I have gotten all of this stuff in plans are to upgrade my battery, maybe get a second battery, do a tune-up on the car, get a 4-channel amp for my speakers and then upgrade my sub amp.

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got some work done past couple of days, got the door and rear speakers in and removed the bracket that was used for the stock deck so I could set my new deck all the way back so it's flush with the dash.

These are the brackets I had to make for the door speakers, stock speakers were similar but the speaker was built into a plastic bracket, so rather than drill a bunch of holes in the doors and have 2 huge openings above and below the speaker, I built these pitas..

IMAG0183_zps465b262a.jpg

These are the pieces I cut out so I could set the deck all the way back, before it was sticking out like 3 inches cause the new deck was a lot deeper than the stock deck.

IMAG0184_zpsac3e5d82.jpg

Deck now flush

IMAG0185_zps3c03202b.jpg

And rear speakers put in, went to solder the ends on and my soldering iron's end separated from the heat, so ends are passed through the tab-holes and twisted for now.

IMAG0186_zps0ddae104.jpg

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Second Skin B-Stock came in today finally! Stuff seems pretty legit, basically looks like there are minor scuffs on the b-stock, maybe the regular stock is wrinkle free or something but who cares, it's gonna be hidden anyways!

IMAG0187_zps6c0ca1b7.jpg

Also Did a knock test on my hollow door so you can hear the difference between the door and the deadener, actually makes the door sound solid and the stuff isn't even adhered to the door, just held up to it

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I have changed a few things since I last posted here, I got a new amplifier (in the sig), ran it for about a month and turned the car on one day and it made my sub make a loud noise then smoked the amp. I shut the car off and let it cool down for a few hours, tested the resistance of the coils on my sub, both were good, then hooked it back up and turned it back on, worked for about 30 seconds then the amp kicked into protective mode. I had the gains on the amp all set so that the signal was not clipped (according to the clipping light on the amp), and all the wiring was secure and sufficient and correct, this amp does not have external fuses but had the recommended 150 amp fuse in line with the main power wire. I have sent the amplifier back for warranty and have been waiting for about 2 weeks to see what the verdict is on it.

This is a picture of the amp vs. my old pioneer amp

IMAG01991_zps511d132a.jpg

During this time I have built a couple more boxes, 1 for my sister

IMAG01961_zps595a90f2.jpg

CorinnesBoxDesign2_zps2b628133.jpg

And 1 for my Fiance (WIll take a new pic with sub installed)

IMAG02141_zps916e328e.jpg

KearstanBoxDesignFinal_zpsb8c764d0.jpg

Now both of these setups have a much flatter response than my setup had, and higher output except for when it came to the lows (which is bs cause one is a 200wrms boston g110, and the other is a 400wrms 12" kicker solo baric L3). My question is wtf am I doing wrong? Does my box have too much port area to have a good response? Is my deck too shitty to give me output? I have a hard time believing this because I am running my Fiance's system off of her stock stereo as it is in a 2010 Kia Forte. I mean I even have a soundstorm 7 band eq hooked up to my amp to boost lower frequencies and cut out the higher ones before they reach the amp (and I know this isn't the problem as my sister's car has the same eq and her shit sounds good).

Any suggestions or enlightenment on this situation is much appreciated, I feel like I might try building a new box with 14"^2 per ft^3 of port vs the 15"^2 per ft^3 to try as I am waiting for my amp to come back.

Thanks guys!

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Here's a pic of my Fiance's sub in her trunk (didn't say she kept the damn thing clean)

20130225_1601131_zpsf6c7d98f.jpg

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

• 4 weeks later...

bro, i have a s

Here's a pic of my Fiance's sub in her trunk (didn't say she kept the damn thing clean)

20130225_1601131_zpsf6c7d98f.jpg

m wife's car is the same way... literally. same car, but with different sub, amp. im runnin a rockford punch p3 on a nice little pbr 300.1. she keeps her trunk dirty all the time.

Ok, so I have changed a few things since I last posted here, I got a new amplifier (in the sig), ran it for about a month and turned the car on one day and it made my sub make a loud noise then smoked the amp. I shut the car off and let it cool down for a few hours, tested the resistance of the coils on my sub, both were good, then hooked it back up and turned it back on, worked for about 30 seconds then the amp kicked into protective mode. I had the gains on the amp all set so that the signal was not clipped (according to the clipping light on the amp), and all the wiring was secure and sufficient and correct, this amp does not have external fuses but had the recommended 150 amp fuse in line with the main power wire. I have sent the amplifier back for warranty and have been waiting for about 2 weeks to see what the verdict is on it.

This is a picture of the amp vs. my old pioneer amp

IMAG01991_zps511d132a.jpg

During this time I have built a couple more boxes, 1 for my sister

IMAG01961_zps595a90f2.jpg

CorinnesBoxDesign2_zps2b628133.jpg

And 1 for my Fiance (WIll take a new pic with sub installed)

IMAG02141_zps916e328e.jpg

KearstanBoxDesignFinal_zpsb8c764d0.jpg

Now both of these setups have a much flatter response than my setup had, and higher output except for when it came to the lows (which is bs cause one is a 200wrms boston g110, and the other is a 400wrms 12" kicker solo baric L3). My question is wtf am I doing wrong? Does my box have too much port area to have a good response? Is my deck too shitty to give me output? I have a hard time believing this because I am running my Fiance's system off of her stock stereo as it is in a 2010 Kia Forte. I mean I even have a soundstorm 7 band eq hooked up to my amp to boost lower frequencies and cut out the higher ones before they reach the amp (and I know this isn't the problem as my sister's car has the same eq and her shit sounds good).

Any suggestions or enlightenment on this situation is much appreciated, I feel like I might try building a new box with 14"^2 per ft^3 of port vs the 15"^2 per ft^3 to try as I am waiting for my amp to come back.

Thanks guys!

i might just be the acoustics of your car bro. i would try a different box size, port size, sub placment,ect, ect. everything effects it. i played with like 6 or 7 different box variations in my last car before i got it to sound the way i thought it should. i had alot of power though and some lvl 5 15's. they were not exactly easy to just take out and put back in though. just experiment with different things and you will get it.

Cool, appreciate it, I'm still waiting on the warranty on my sub amp, fucking ridiculous, will never buy from onlinecarstereo.com or a soundstream product again! I have owned and installed several amps and have abused cheap amps that are still alive today (sony xplode 600 watt amp 5 channel from like 2006 been through at least a dozen different vehicles and I just sold it to a buddy for $20 and the thing still works!) and I have never had one go up in smoke like that, especially when all I did was turn my car on one day and shit went poof.

In the meantime I got a new mb quart onx4.80 hooked up to my cheapy speakers and the 6x9's are providing my low end, sucks ass but actually very surprised how nice everything sounds irregardless.

She loves that square sub, thing sounds pretty good, she didn't believe me that I could make it louder and sound better just by building a proper box for it, then I built i and she had me turn down the power to the sub, lol.

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered a Rockford Fosgate T1500bdcp monday, should be here the 29th, coincidentaly on my birthday! Can't wait!

Pissed off that I had to buy it from Onlinecarstereo.com cause they would only give me store credit for my warrantied amp, it cost more on their website than on Sonic's and they don't price match, and they made me pay shipping fee of $12 because they charge shipping if you use in store credit! So overpaid for the amp by like $50, but hey I get something hopefully rock fucking solid and powerful enough for an upgrade, so I will never have to buy from those bastards again!

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Ordered a Rockford Fosgate T1500bdcp monday, should be here the 29th, coincidentaly on my birthday! Can't wait!

Pissed off that I had to buy it from Onlinecarstereo.com cause they would only give me store credit for my warrantied amp, it cost more on their website than on Sonic's and they don't price match, and they made me pay shipping fee of $12 because they charge shipping if you use in store credit! So overpaid for the amp by like $50, but hey I get something hopefully rock fucking solid and powerful enough for an upgrade, so I will never have to buy from those bastards again!

Rockford won't disappoint you, what-so-ever. That blows you had to over pay though, keep that rockford warranty handy just in case!

Looking forward to more!

SMD_zps84fd99a2.jpg
95 Acura Integra - 5-speed
NFG thumb.gif
Pioneer FH-X700BT
(2) Rockford Fosgate 12" P3
AQ1200d
Rockford Fosgate P1652-S 6.5" components
Rockford Fosgate P1572 5x7"
Rockford Fosgate R400.4

95 Integra Build Here
93 EJ2 Build Here