Second Skin Audio

Identifying a Memphis Mojo/M3 or "M3 Mojo" I have questions

ModestDb

Hey guys, some questions crossed my mind tonight and I tried google first to answer it. I worded this question so many different ways in google but got a lot of varied answers. I'm looking for a final, definitive answer about this part.

Memphis Mojo

Memphis M3

Memphis M3 Mojo

Are there three different types of subs? Or is one being confused for the other?

________________________________________________________________________________________

Next question, is there an old school original Mojo and a new school Mojo and was the old school Mojo "better"?

________________________________________________________________________________________

To take it a step further, about the orange baskets with a colored M on the cone and black baskets with a white M on the cone.

Can a Mojo have a black basket and a white M?

What about a small M closer to the surround?

Are all Mojo's orange baskets?

Are all orange baskets Mojos?

I get confused every time someone around my local area shows up with Memphis Audio or talks about it. Everyone has a Mojo apparently because Mojo stretches across such a broad array of Memphis subwoofers lol. Some are lying but I don't know who is and isn't. I would just like some clarification please.

Any Memphis Experts in the house?

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

One additional question I have after going over and over google images. Some Memphis subs with the colored M in the center of the cone, the right side of the M is colored red, while others are orange on the right side of the M. Is there a difference or is this just a lighting/sun fading etc. effect?

Something I did learn for certain is how a Mojo is identifiable by it's magnet thickness. However I'd still like to know the answers to my questions when you guys have time.

From what I understand, the mojo's are the ones with the big magnet, and the m3s are the smaller magnet. But the mojo's don't say mojo on it for some reason?

Also I heard the m3's were memphis' weakest line

15m3152d.jpg

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

One additional question I have after going over and over google images. Some Memphis subs with the colored M in the center of the cone, the right side of the M is colored red, while others are orange on the right side of the M. Is there a difference or is this just a lighting/sun fading etc. effect?

Something I did learn for certain is how a Mojo is identifiable by it's magnet thickness. However I'd still like to know the answers to my questions when you guys have time.

This is how the logo is supposed to look 4_75615.jpg

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

From what I understand, the mojo's are the ones with the big magnet, and the m3s are the smaller magnet. But the mojo's don't say mojo on it for some reason?

Also I heard the m3's were memphis' weakest line

15m3152d.jpg

Yeah after going over several pictures last night I realized mojos have a thicker magnet. However I still have specifics I'm interested to know.

This is how the logo is supposed to look 4_75615.jpg

Okay. I guess I've just seen pictures of some aging mojos where at the right side of the M is fading. It had me wondering if there were ever Memphis knock offs floating around out there or if the color difference related to model type. Thanks.

m3 go for it

Did you even read my questions? This answer doesn't apply to even ONE of my questions. How does "going for it" help me compare and contrast so that I can identify Memphis subs? I hate to be a dick so early in my posting life but I feel like your response completely ignored the root of the discussion. Either my proper vocabulary and language skills went right over your head in my first post or you used my thread to up your post count. Regardless, your response is both unhelpful and unwarranted if you're not going to respond to my direct questions. Granted I admittedly am a scatter brain, I DID after all, put question marks after each query I desired an answer to.

Now, if you're not too mad at me for clarifying myself, I still have some unanswered questions up there if you are still willing and knowledgable to answer them. Just please read the text first.

ok i am goin to try and answer this to the best of my knowledge. originally there was the HPO, i sometimes here it refered to as the original mojo, it looked like the picture above, large 4 spoke frame. then you have the mojo same color design. the first M3 series looks the same on the front but instead of having the 4 spoke frame it has m's on the frame and was not rebuildable(to my knowledge) the mojo is now on its 3rd or 4th generation. the newest generation having an orange oval saying mojo near the surround. the generation before had a silver M near the surround but said mojo in tiny letter underneath where as that generation of m3( actually changed to the c3) just had the silver M. also on the voice coils there wil be a model # on the newer generations(not the colored front). also the m3 was not the weakest line. it would have been the power reference but is now the street reference. as for a silver M in the middle that is the same size as the colored M shown above that would be a M1 it will have a silver frame. I;m sure there iis something I am forgetting or may not be 100% correct on but spending the past 10 years with only memphis in my cars,other family members cars and my friends cars this is what I have learned.

2002 trail blazer ls

- Sundown Audio SA-8v.2 (6)

- Memphis Audio MClass 1000D (3)

- Memphis MClass 75x4 running Memphis componets

- Kinetik 2400 in rear

- Pioneer AVHP-4400

- box currently tuned to 34HZ but rebuild is in process

- Stinger RoadKill to be put in within the next 3 weeks

NEW BUILD IN PROGRESS:

-(8) SUNDOWN AUDIO SA8V2

- (2 SETS) SUNDOWN 6.5CS

- (1) SUNDOWN 125.4

- (2) SAZ2500

- (1) kINETIK 1400 IN FRONT

- (2) KINETIK 2400

- (2) RUNS OF KNU CONCEPTZ 0 GUAGE

- (2) BOXES STINGER ROADKILL PRO

- PIONEER DEH4400

LEFT TO DO:

- BUILD BOX

- ORDER 350AMP ALT FROM TENNEY ALTS

ok i am goin to try and answer this to the best of my knowledge. originally there was the HPO, i sometimes here it refered to as the original mojo, it looked like the picture above, large 4 spoke frame. then you have the mojo same color design. the first M3 series looks the same on the front but instead of having the 4 spoke frame it has m's on the frame and was not rebuildable(to my knowledge) the mojo is now on its 3rd or 4th generation. the newest generation having an orange oval saying mojo near the surround. the generation before had a silver M near the surround but said mojo in tiny letter underneath where as that generation of m3( actually changed to the c3) just had the silver M. also on the voice coils there wil be a model # on the newer generations(not the colored front). also the m3 was not the weakest line. it would have been the power reference but is now the street reference. as for a silver M in the middle that is the same size as the colored M shown above that would be a M1 it will have a silver frame. I;m sure there iis something I am forgetting or may not be 100% correct on but spending the past 10 years with only memphis in my cars,other family members cars and my friends cars this is what I have learned.

Okay, lots of good info in that post. The HPO you speak of, I've seen images of those with the giant 4 spoke frame but never seen one in person. So that's the "original' Mojo, got it. So was the next generation called a Mojo also and THEN another generation called an M3 Mojo? My first question still is a little hazy but its coming together now.

You nailed my second question I asked. Thanks for clearing that one up thoroughly.

You nailed my third question as well. So there IS in fact a Mojo with the white/silver (need my color vision checked I guess) small M near the surround as well as a Mojo series with a white/silver M in the center of the cone (unless you tell me the M1 is not a Mojo and I interpreted that incorrectly). Otherwise, I think I got it. Again thank you for the info.

Obviously you answered my fourth question.

You clearly answered question number five for me. No not all Mojo's are orange baskets. Got it.

Question six...If I see a Memphis with an orange basket/colored M on the cone, that doesn't mean it's neccessarily a Mojo correct? It could be an M3 right? I would tell the difference between these two by magnet thickness correct? So when it comes to orange basket/colored M on the cone is it either a Mojo or M3 or is there a such thing as an M3 Mojo?

As far as my last additional question, I believe Wellington summed it up fine.

I know there is a Mojo 5 out right now according to Memphis Audio website but thats neither here nor there, just adding on to your statement about the Mojo being on a 4th generation (i'm not sure maybe when you say 4th generation you are referring to the Mojo 5 for some reason) but there is in fact a 5 on their website.

Archived