2002 Intrepid Beginner System

MOST CURRENT PICS ARE IN POST #34
And I seem to like forgetting to update this part lol ^^

Well, although my system is cheap ($181 for everything), basic (1000 watts), and used (Craigslist FTW :D ), I figure I better at least post what I have. So here we go:

No more googled pics, actual pics of the equipment are on post number 3, scroll down to see them

Head Unit: Jenson HD5112 - FREE (I can explain at the bottom)

Mids: 2 Dual Electronics DS653 6.5" Coaxial Car Speakers - $15 at Goodwill New in box :D

Box: Sorry, I sinned against the car audio world and got a prefab box :( - $25 off craigslist with 2 bad subs in it, 1 had a fried coil and the other had a small crack in the cone, both are now in working condition but by no means daily use subs.

Subs: 2 12" Sony Xplod XS-L1237s - $60 off craigslist = $30 each. I know Sony has a bad rep but I couldn't resist that price :D

75-300 watts RMS, 1100 watts peak

Amp: Pyramid PB717X 1,000-Watt 2-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier (Sorry, underpowering my subs by 100 watts, but I'm still good on the RMS :) This is the only car audio component beyond the HU wire harness & mount that I bought new)

Wiring: Suff I found in my basement lol

The system is wired cleanly with minimal wire showing, most of the wire is hidden behind the sub box and can only be seen when the back seats are flipped down. The only wires that can be seen from the rear end of the car is the wires running from the amp to the subs, those are hard to hide :)

I have no aftermarket electronics, the battery is the one I got the car with, and the alternator is stock. I figure 1100 watts doesn't need any power boosting equipment that would be more expensive than the setup itself.

So I promised an explanation for the free HU, so here it is:

My dad bought this suburban from a friend for $300 so he could pull the motor for the snowplow. The suburban was sold for so cheap because it was originally destined for scrap due to extensive rust. (Those are my brothers in the pic :) )

0604111209.jpg

So we pulled the motor/trans, gutted the interior for any goodies we wanted, and then had some fun with it before sending it to scrap

1010111643.jpg

So that's the story behind the HU :P Sorry, I figured I'd entertain you with something besides my kinda lame setup ;)

I'm sorry to say that due to my lack of money (I have $150 left in my bank account to last me through a whole semester of college) I will likely not be doing anything with the system beyond enjoying it, at least until I gain up some fun money :)

Oh, I almost forgot an important part - the car lol

0622121356.jpg

Thanks for looking at my beginner system :)

EDIT: Ok, now that the system is a little more developed than when I first posted this, let's do some math.

• Subwoofer, JBL GT5-15: Worth $87.15 online, but birthday gift = $0 for me
• Door Speakers, Dual Electronics DS653 6.5" Coaxial Car Speakers: Worth an average of around $35 online, paid $15 at Goodwill New in box

•Head Unit, Dual XDMA6438: Worth an average of around $75 online, paid $5 and traded my other head unit which I had gotten free

•Amp, Pyramid PB717X 1,000-Watt 2-Channel Bridgeable: Worth average $60 online, paid $48

•Wire, KnuKonceptz KCA Kandy Kable Neon Green 8 Gauge Power Wire: Worth 47 cents per foot, paid full price for that - 15 feet = $7.05 + $5.05 shipping totaling $12.10

•Box, sh*t: Worth a 10 minute lap dance from Herbert the Pervert, paid nothing thank goodness

All in all, my entire setup is: Worth $269.25, and I paid $80.10 so I think I'm doing pretty good running a full system (mostly quality lol) for under $100. Definately a budget build! :D

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Heros get remembered, but legends never die.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

um...nice system??? how are you entering SOTM with no system to even see?

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

I promised I'd get real pics this weekend and I did:

0308143646.jpg

I know the speaker wire is showing,I spun the box around recently because it was rear-facing, and still need to hide the wiring again.

0308143755.jpg

0308143809.jpg

I like how well the prefab box's carpet matches the car's carpet :)

0308143714.jpg

0308143734.jpg

0308143831.jpg

0308143843.jpg

0308152244.jpg

0308152259.jpg

0308143912.jpg

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

• 1 month later...

Those look like some of the first sony's I ever had back in high school better than nothing but they are pretty bad. I totally understand college and no money I been in the same predicament. Just as long as you don't give up on your dream system and keep saving. There will always be better systems than what you have but the key is to build what makes you happy and what you can fit in to your budget. Just don't lose hope on something better. I've had to buy stuff only when on sale and sell it on craigslist to ever hope of upgrading to better equipment and some of my stuff is still crap in the eyes of others. It doesn't happen over night but it will happen.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

It's happening! :D

Got a JBL GT5-15 for my birthday

Pics:

0421131029.jpg

0421131029a.jpg

0421131033.jpg

Still not sundowns or SMDs or DCs or anything like that, but hey, finally moving away from the Xplods :D

I'm hoping to start building a box for it sometime during or after May seeing as that's when the school year ends. Until then, I'll be keeping the Xplods in. Looking forward to getting this JBL in my car :D :D

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Nice I've had the infinity 12's that were of similar design really great sounding subs and hit lows nicely. Put that 15 in a big ported box tuned low and it should blow away those sony's now you just need a real sub amp!

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Yea, I asked around the forums and already have a box designed for me by Joe X, now I just need the time and supplies to get it built :) Thanks again Joe!

Here's the topic for those who wanna see Joe's suggested design:

Got a new sub, need a new box

And a pic for those of you too lazy to click the link :P

15Slanted_zps4c4a7acf.jpg

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it looks terrible, but I updated my system temporarily because I wanted to use my new 15 too badly :P So what my brother and I did was we found a dual 12 inch sub box that was too big to be practical for 2 12s, and we modified it. Yes it looks terrible, but it'll do the trick til summer comes and I can make a box specifically for it.

So what we did was we found a square piece of wood laying around, rubber cemented it over the existing 12" hole to seal it, then screwed it down for strength. Then we drilled the other hole 3" bigger to fit the 15. Then we put a port (4" PVC, also something we had laying around) on the side of the box and secured that in too (more rubber cement and screws). Sorry if it looks bad, but it gets the job done for now!

The hideous box, which I assure you is painted, I just used paint from the basement which apparently was too old to cover properly, but it is painted and it's only staying in my car for like a month or so... I got a new JBL 15 and I wanted to use it! :D

0506131618.jpg

Pyramid PB717x 1000watt max amp, which surprised me how well it pushes this sub

0506131621.jpg

Dual DS Series 6.5" midrange speakers running off of head unit power

0506131623.jpg

Same head unit:

0506131623a.jpg

I'm hoping to get a video up maybe this weekend when I have my camera, so that the sound can make up for the looks :)

So hopefully sometime in June I can start building the quality box that this sub deserves :D But until then, suffer at the eye sore that is my rat rod style box :P

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Ok, got my temporary box painted a bit more thoroughly in order to be able to run in SOTM, as well as be able to open my trunk with pride again :P so here's some pics for chode proving that I got it painted :)

0512131618a.jpg

Putting the sub back in:

0512131651a.jpg

I figured I'd try a new placement in the trunk to 1. save some space kinda, and 2. so that the port is positioned over the amp so it may magically cool it :P

0512131656.jpg

And to draw people's attention away from the weird appearance of the box even after more paint, I decided to spice it up a bit with a home-made sticker :)

0512131657a.jpg

Looks better already :D Not bad for a printed off logo and an exacto-knife ontop of green sticker-paper :)

0512131708.jpg

0512131709.jpg

0512131710.jpg

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

• 5 months later...

Long overdue update guys! I honestly didn't get much done because my best friend was leaving for the Navy in August and I wanted to spend my summer with her before she left, so my system got used, but never got any further progress until she left...

But anyway, I've done two small things, I've upgraded the wire to KnuKonceptz KCA Kandy Kable Neon Green 8 Gauge Power Wire. I admit, I've been hiding a lamp cord style power wire from you guys for a while, didn't wanna catch any crap for it but never had extra money to change it. But I finally got that done!

The new wire:

uv5v.jpg

Here it is compared to the old wire, which was actually just some old speaker wire:

zv1e.jpg

lgz9.jpg

Glad that's outta my car! :D

I also upgraded the head unit to a Dual XDMA6438.

69ql.jpg

znhf.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Archived