breaking in vvx help lows?

So you didnt calculate the smaller box and how the port tuning would change because of losing a half cube

No I did, but we had the pieces of the box cut already. All it did was go from 33 to 34 hz and he was aiming for 33-35

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

I think it's more of a box problem than your woofers not breaking in. 4.7^3 is small for those woofers.

This

I'd do 6 cubes after displacements, and tune it down @30 w/ the proper port per ft. Which for those should be between 14 - 18 in2

Then you should be happy ;)

Edited by Purplehaze

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Thanks guys, ill tell my friend he should build a bigger box. Although honestly, we were bangin on them for about 20 minutes straight today and they're already getting louder. Hes leaving for DC Saturday and I'm trying to talk him into letting me put them in my car the week he's gone haha

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Well on skars website it says like 2.1-3.0 cbft for 1 15 and I figured even though 600 watts is conservative a box on the small-middle size couldn't hurt

sites often put small enclosure specs to make a sub look more appealing, but they do not mention how they will respond in that small of a box.

If it were me, I'd get as close to 4 cubes per 15" as possible.

XS-power1.jpg

My enclosure for a pair of 12s is 5.0 cubic feet net (after all displacements). It plays very flat and has no problem smashing lows with pretty much any subs I put in there....I would personally aim for 7.0 cubes net for the pair of vvx 15's....Tune to 32hz and call it a day...if you arn't concerned with with upper end so much don't be afraid to tune to 26-27...

My enclosure as stated above is tuned to 26hz and it sounds great and has a nice flat response, it pushes a nice amount of air too (;

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 v6

2 sundown audio prototype nsv4 15s

crossfire 4k wired to 0.4 ohm

15 banks of maxwell 3.0 caps @ 18v

triple alts (x2 us alt 250's, x1 singer 320)

153 at 23hz

Low 20s is too low lol and he actully needs some of his back hatch area so a 7cbft box wouldn't workout. Maybe we'll try 6cbft instead of 5.5

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Low 20s is too low lol and he actully needs some of his back hatch area so a 7cbft box wouldn't workout. Maybe we'll try 6cbft instead of 5.5

How is 26-27hz low 20's? I am against tuning in the low 20's too, but 26-27hz is reasonable whereas low 20's is not reasonable...

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 v6

2 sundown audio prototype nsv4 15s

crossfire 4k wired to 0.4 ohm

15 banks of maxwell 3.0 caps @ 18v

triple alts (x2 us alt 250's, x1 singer 320)

153 at 23hz

The FS on those things is retarded low. If he wanted to tune at 27-28 there'd be no problem.

I agree on the tuning to low 20s. There's no reason to do that unless you listen to chopped and screwed music 100% of the time. Or if you like listening to 20hz test tones.