Second Skin Audio
Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How much can an SA-8 handle?

29 replies to this topic

hayden55

hayden55

125db

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorcycles, Car audio, electronics diy, mechanics

Well see the problem is, is that in car audio you get addicted to the power. lol
With that being said, atm i am running a kicker zx750 (932rms birthed), a T-line enclosure ported at 34.6hz, and a single sundown sa-8 d4. What i am running right now it doesnt blow any hot air at all (very cool) but the cone does get very warm to the touch, but i can keep my hand on it without pain etc. How many watts can i push to it before it blows? Anybody kind of have a guess? Im planning on buying a kicker zx1500 but im not sure as to how much that amp puts out either as my zx750 pushes over 900. I figure if i do blow it, i will just have it rebuilt and move on.
Questions:
What has already been pushed to a sa-8 and survived?
How many watts does the kicker zx1500 push?
How much does sundown charge to built a comp version if sent in?
Any other opinions? Amp choices?

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0l-Rockford Fosgate 6x8s 3-ways- Sundown Audio SA-8- 3.64ft3 tline box in naked mdf- Kicker zx750.1- 0/1 Gauge wires- Pioneer head unit stuff to come:16 steve meade 18's7 rockford fosgate t15000bdcpa fleet of escaladeslol jk new car?

Krakin

Krakin

165db

• Members
  • 3,578 posts
  • Interests:Pole Vaulting, High-Fidelity Audio, PC Gaming.

Being in a transmission line I would be more worried about mechanical damage before thermal. Just from what I've read it take much less power to achieve xmax.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project 
http://www.stevemead...e/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself 
but what has drawn your attention
in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Rockford96

Rockford96

145db

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Audio, bmx, working on engines
I agrree with krakin im suprised its holding up to that power now in a t-line

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

3 Re audio 10's ported tuned to 36 hz

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Polk audio coax running off hu

Afficionado

Afficionado

I'm scared to lift weights

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

consider sundown's new x line? unless you'll have a depth problem.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

hayden55

hayden55

125db

• Members
  • 122 posts

I agrree with krakin im suprised its holding up to that power now in a t-line

haha. The funny part is, is that it runs very well in a Tline. It even runs cooler than what it did in a ported box. I guess all of the air flow is helping it out.

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0l-Rockford Fosgate 6x8s 3-ways- Sundown Audio SA-8- 3.64ft3 tline box in naked mdf- Kicker zx750.1- 0/1 Gauge wires- Pioneer head unit stuff to come:16 steve meade 18's7 rockford fosgate t15000bdcpa fleet of escaladeslol jk new car?

Krakin

Krakin

165db

• Members
  • 3,578 posts

I am feeling that either that amp is doing no where near rated or you wired up than down.

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

hayden55

hayden55

125db

• Members
  • 122 posts

I am feeling that either that amp is doing no where near rated or you wired up than down.

thanks for the support man! I believe in you too! Besides that i am running 13.7ish most of the time, running 0/1 gauge, etc. I swear that each side is wired in parallel to achieve 2 ohm

ChevyBoy95

ChevyBoy95

Guy with the Furry Wall

• Members

• 5,569 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Gaming, Sketching, and Music.

so are asking if we gave you a definitive number, you would get as close to it as you can?

for example, it can handle 1krms before it thermally fails, are you going to run 995w to it?

It is rated at 600rms, and being in a T-Line you shouldnt need 900w. It can handle 900w, but if it is getting hot, it is time to turn it down, or find out if you are clipping or not.

hayden55

hayden55

125db

• Members
  • 122 posts

so are asking if we gave you a definitive number, you would get as close to it as you can?

for example, it can handle 1krms before it thermally fails, are you going to run 995w to it?

It is rated at 600rms, and being in a T-Line you shouldnt need 900w. It can handle 900w, but if it is getting hot, it is time to turn it down, or find out if you are clipping or not.

Well i dont know, but my 900w hand warmer is pretty convenient. So... Basically the 8 is holding me back at this point? But i have seen a guy on youtube flex the mess out of his roof with two sa-8s on a ns-1

Krakin

Krakin

165db

• Members
  • 3,578 posts

The thing about coils is they don't just "snap" under large loads, they melt. It's not instantaneous when over powering. Running much over RMS isn't too wise without a strong background in electrics. 

I would suggest upgrading to the X-8 if you want more output from an eight inch woofer.

Azagtoth502

Azagtoth502

666 db

• Members

• 4,478 posts

1.21 Gigawatts

hayden55

hayden55

125db

• Members
  • 122 posts

The thing about coils is they don't just "snap" under large loads, they melt. It's not instantaneous when over powering. Running much over RMS isn't too wise without a strong background in electrics. 

I would suggest upgrading to the X-8 if you want more output from an eight inch woofer.

THEY HAVE AN X-8?!?!?!?!?!?!
Like i thought they never made them. Links?

Edited by hayden55, 26 August 2013 - 07:23 PM.

Krakin

Krakin

165db

• Members
  • 3,578 posts

In pre-production as far as I know. 

Yates

Yates

130db

• Members
  • 369 posts
Garage View Garage

yes t-line requires less power if your intent on having that power then yes go to a x series or you could buy another one do it isobaric style on the same power  

hayden55

hayden55

125db

• Members
  • 122 posts

yes t-line requires less power if your intent on having that power then yes go to a x series or you could buy another one do it isobaric style on the same power  

But wasnt the whole flaw of isobaric is that you were less efficient but could run more power. It was like a good db loss?

hayden55

hayden55

125db

• Members
  • 122 posts

In pre-production as far as I know. 

Do you happen to know of a current thread of discussion? Any pre-orders maybe?

Krakin

Krakin

165db

• Members
  • 3,578 posts

Do you happen to know of a current thread of discussion? Any pre-orders maybe?

Thread:
http://www.stevemead...x#82088=&page=2

But wasnt the whole flaw of isobaric is that you were less efficient but could run more power. It was like a good db loss?

I would say that isobaric is more efficient since you can get "2" subs in a smaller space than a single sub in normal alignment.

hayden55

hayden55

125db

• Members
  • 122 posts

But i was going to call about the "Extreme SPL" rebuild that they do. Im going to see what they say? If not, just for kicks, because it hit 150.8 on an ns-1

hayden55

hayden55

125db

• Members
  • 122 posts

I found it. I will be upgrading to a sundown x-8. Presale when it happens is going to be 210

Krakin

Krakin

165db

• Members
  • 3,578 posts

Make sure you build a t-line for that sub instead of throwing it back into the old one. Also before you buy I would also make sure you can fit a t-line for it in your vehicle. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users