Sundown Audio

Nightshade v.3 Information

The new NS v.3 woofers will have a HUGE number of options.

1) The motor supports two sleeves to configure it's gap size / overall performance.

• POLE SLEEVES (these are permanent; only selected when built) :
* Copper sleeve – for low inductance / low distortion
* Steel sleeve – for higher BL / higher SPL – STOCK SETUP

• OUTER GAP SLEEVE (these can be swapped when re-coning the driver) :
* 83mm OD – Z v.2 style coils; lowers mass / lowest inductance – for high frequency burps. My next round of Z v.2 coils will have a longer former for use on the new platforms.

* 85.2mm OD – Standard coil; VERY long 4-layer flat coil – maximum linear travel / good mix of SPL and day-to-day performance – STOCK SETUP
* 86.5mm OD – Equal to NS v.2, Z v.3, Z v.4 Gap – we can use any of those coils or any other 8-layer coil desired.

* 92.5mm OD (NO SLEEVE) – I will be carrying a VERY thick coil for maximum BL for this gap… higher inductance and mass so best for low frequency output. I’ll have these in later this year.

2) We will be able to use any spider stiffness level on them… X, Z v.4, or NS v.3 grade stiffness. They are 4, 5, and 6 layers respectively. These are “pack” spiders that come all glued together. We could also vary what diameter spider is used for specialized applications (not common).

* I will also have an “SPL Spider” Pack coming out… we can stack them from 1 to 6 layers thick; each one is harder per layer than the packs.
* The SPL spiders do not have as flat of a stiffness curve as the packs; so they are superior for SPL applications.
* The SPL spiders will come out towards the end of the year.

3) We can also use a Z v.3 style cone on the 12/15/18 models for lower mass if the customer chooses to use one of the shorter coils for SPL. The 10” model will NOT support a v.3 style cone as it's size is not standard. We would combine this with a smaller diameter spider pack to agree with the surround limites. This is a bit of a "budget" SPL cone setup that we can do.

4) I am tooling up a carbon fiber / fiberglass / honeycomb Nomex composite SPL cone (paired with a dust cap of the same material) in 10/12/15/18 sizes. This cone is lighter and stronger than paper – it also features a surround size in between the Z v.3 and v.4 sizing – it is best paired with the new SPL spider packs in their biggest diameter for a given cone size. Due to the reduced cone and surround mass the FS (resonance) of the woofer is increased to perform better for SPL burps. I expect these around the end of the year to early next year if all testing goes well.

-----

With all that being said... I will have to work up some sort of spread-sheet for the pricing on these with options.

-----

Okay so the MAP will be as follows for stock setup units :

10 - $820
12 - $840
15 - $875
18 - $900

Gap OD sleeves will be available for purchase to change the woofer later on down the line. As mentioned the ID sleeves are permanent so a motor will always be "Low Le" or "High BL" once setup that way.

Both sleeves are machined locally in the US and are pretty expensive to make. They do represent a decent chunk of the costs -- but we wanted to have the ultimate flexibility with configuring the NS v.3 so it will continue to be a viable motor for MANY years to come... we could even develop different OD sleeves for it later on down the line

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

:ttiwwop:

• Like (+1 Rep) 5

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Small update from our machine shop -- we had to go aluminum rather than copper for the low inductance pole sleeve. It was going to run-over the budget by around $100 per driver (ouch!). So that was out. Good news is I have also tested aluminum sleeves and they work very well too :)

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

with the no sleeve option and thicker coil. does that mean power handling will go up?

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Copied from Facebook update this morning :

Nightshade v.3 Update : As many of you know the NS v.3 features an "industry first" gap sleeve system -- the gap sleeves are all being machined locally; our machine shop did move their facility during out order so it has taken a bit of extra time. We do expect the sleeves to be done machining within 2 weeks; then we will be having them coated at another local vendor -- at which point we can start building!

We are making 5 different gap OD sleeves (so 6 options here... as the fattest coil doesn't use an OD sleeve) and 4 different pole sleeves (Gap ID). That makes about 45 possible gap combinations for the NS v.3 motor! Most customers will simply need the "stock" setup so if you aren't super technical don't worry we make it easy by simply offering the "stock" setup that will work great in most setups.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

The new NS v.3 woofers will have a HUGE number of options.

1) The motor supports two sleeves to configure it's gap size / overall performance.

• POLE SLEEVES (these are permanent; only selected when built) :

* Copper sleeve – for low inductance / low distortion

* Steel sleeve – for higher BL / higher SPL – STOCK SETUP

• OUTER GAP SLEEVE (these can be swapped when re-coning the driver) :

* 83mm OD – Z v.2 style coils; lowers mass / lowest inductance – for high frequency burps. My next round of Z v.2 coils will have a longer former for use on the new platforms.

* 85.2mm OD – Standard coil; VERY long 4-layer flat coil – maximum linear travel / good mix of SPL and day-to-day performance – STOCK SETUP

* 86.5mm OD – Equal to NS v.2, Z v.3, Z v.4 Gap – we can use any of those coils or any other 8-layer coil desired.

* 92.5mm OD (NO SLEEVE) – I will be carrying a VERY thick coil for maximum BL for this gap… higher inductance and mass so best for low frequency output. I’ll have these in later this year.

2) We will be able to use any spider stiffness level on them… X, Z v.4, or NS v.3 grade stiffness. They are 4, 5, and 6 layers respectively. These are “pack” spiders that come all glued together. We could also vary what diameter spider is used for specialized applications (not common).

* I will also have an “SPL Spider” Pack coming out… we can stack them from 1 to 6 layers thick; each one is harder per layer than the packs.

* The SPL spiders do not have as flat of a stiffness curve as the packs; so they are superior for SPL applications.

* The SPL spiders will come out towards the end of the year.

3) We can also use a Z v.3 style cone on the 12/15/18 models for lower mass if the customer chooses to use one of the shorter coils for SPL. The 10” model will NOT support a v.3 style cone as it's size is not standard. We would combine this with a smaller diameter spider pack to agree with the surround limites. This is a bit of a "budget" SPL cone setup that we can do.

4) I am tooling up a carbon fiber / fiberglass / honeycomb Nomex composite SPL cone (paired with a dust cap of the same material) in 10/12/15/18 sizes. This cone is lighter and stronger than paper – it also features a surround size in between the Z v.3 and v.4 sizing – it is best paired with the new SPL spider packs in their biggest diameter for a given cone size. Due to the reduced cone and surround mass the FS (resonance) of the woofer is increased to perform better for SPL burps. I expect these around the end of the year to early next year if all testing goes well.

-----

With all that being said... I will have to work up some sort of spread-sheet for the pricing on these with options.

-----

Okay so the MAP will be as follows for stock setup units :

10 - $820

12 - $840

15 - $875

18 - $900

Gap OD sleeves will be available for purchase to change the woofer later on down the line. As mentioned the ID sleeves are permanent so a motor will always be "Low Le" or "High BL" once setup that way.

Both sleeves are machined locally in the US and are pretty expensive to make. They do represent a decent chunk of the costs -- but we wanted to have the ultimate flexibility with configuring the NS v.3 so it will continue to be a viable motor for MANY years to come... we could even develop different OD sleeves for it later on down the line

The MAP cost has been changed as well :

10 - $739

12 - $759

15 - $789

18 - $819

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

Soooooo you wanna take my 2 SA-12s and $300 for a single 15? :D

Welcome to my sig :D

My build on my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4:

2 Sundown SA 12's

Sundown SAZ 1500d v3

Alpine CDE-HD148BT

Hertz 165 Speakers

Atrend Carbon Enclosure

Stinger SPP925 Battery

Sky High 2/0 & 1/0 Power Wire & Big 3

:domodance::domodance: Legal 145.2 dB. :morepower1: Team Sundown. :domodance::domodance:

cd64929e-8a60-41ea-b784-c5c6096f49b8_zps