Sundown Audio

Nightshade v.3 Information

Man I've been wanting an SQ oriented 10 or 12. Also always wanted something as beefy as these. I know which one now.

Also thanks for the vids. I feel special since I asked on Facebook and then here they are.

When I get a free moment I will be working up a beefy under-hung coil for the NS v.3 motor -- mainly for myself... but anyone else can buy one :)

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Man I've been wanting an SQ oriented 10 or 12. Also always wanted something as beefy as these. I know which one now.

Also thanks for the vids. I feel special since I asked on Facebook and then here they are.

When I get a free moment I will be working up a beefy under-hung coil for the NS v.3 motor -- mainly for myself... but anyone else can buy one :)

I guess I'm gonna start saving a few money pennies then I was already. I had in mind that NS6.5 component set. Now I gotta get this too. Might as well get sundown amps and have a whole Sundown system. You're killing me Jacob, keep it up, might be a bit but I'll have one.

• 3 weeks later...

I made a technical post the other day on Facebook regarding some of the design philosophy of the NS v.3 -- figured I would share it over here.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=639014686154006&set=ms.639014606154014.639014626154012.639014656154009.639014686154006.bps.a.528967150492094&type=1&theater

We built a set of NS v.3 12s with a smaller 8 3/8" spider pack, stock long 4-layer coil, and a Z v.3 style cone for a customer build requiring them to peak at 50+ Hz -- Fs came in at 47 hz so I am very pleased and they should be awesome.

FB_NSv3_12s.jpg

10014741_639014686154006_202498594568818

The customer asked about the raw BL figure so I did some explanation for him :

Part 1 :

"Little tech talk on the specs while I'm at it. As compared to a Z v.3 12" model (as they share the same cone configured this way) and also an NS v.2 12" model :

Z v.3 12" : BL^2/RE = 131.8 / MMS (276g) = 0.477 SPL Factor
Le = 1.12x RE for 50mm coil length (8-layer)

NS v.3 12" SPL : BL^2/RE = 204 / MMS (296g) = 0.69 SPL Factor
Le = 1.01x RE for 80mm coil length (4-layer)

NS v.2 : BL^2/RE = 201 / MMS (346g) = 0.58 SPL Factor
LE = 1.62x RE for 70mm coil length (8-layer)

Given the variation in SPL factor assuming all else equal that leaves us with an advantage of 45% to NS v.3 compared to the Z v.3 which is close to 1.5dB gain for burps. Also factor in that the coil is 60% longer and the spider is also over an inch wider and you have the potential for even more output; likely 2.5+ dB in the end.

Part of the design philosophy of the NS v.3 is the use of a VERY long coil for very large amounts of x-max -- but in order to keep LE and MMS down a 4-layer was used for the stock configuration. Thanks to the huge motor we can still get BL^2/RE on par with the NS v.2 but with much better MMS and LE figures."

Part 2 :

"Also... BL in and of itself has essentially no meaning without looking at the RE (DC resistance). So to properly analyze the spec you must consider BL^2/RE (The NS v.3 Dual-1 has a very low DCR so BL alone might look "low" compared to other higher DCR units) -- but this still isn't the entire picture so also look to their relationship to MMS to gather the "SPL Factor"

And still yet... if all of that looks good and LE is too high you STILL won't have good SPL performance at higher frequencies as LE works as a 6dB low-pass crossover. With the NS v.3 we are able to get a good mix of ALL of these aspects at the same time."

----------

I am not sure alot of people have realized yet how awesome the NS v.3 Le spec is yet... it is simply on par with the RE with an 80mm long coil. That is lower than the 50mm long coil used on the Z v.3 10 and 12 models... and MUCH lower than the NS v.2 coil that was 70mm long.

The cool thing about the NS v.3 is that we could use either of the other coils we compared to in this motor if we wanted to do so. I have sleeves that are perfect for the Z v.3 and NS v.2 coils -- so we aren't limited to JUST this configuration; but I chose it as stock due to it possessing such an excellent mix of Motor Force, Inductance, and Mass characteristics.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

any word on the nsv3 18? i havent seen any yet and was looking to get a pair, are we still waiting on tooling of the basket?

I ordered mine on the 16th of last month and was told they should be about another week or so. I can't wait to hear them bad boys!

2009 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab

Current Set up -

Headunit - JVC 6100BT

Mids/Highs - Sundown SA-6.5 CS x2

- 4 Crescendo pwx6.5's

- 2 Crescendo ft1's

Mids/Highs amps - 2 Sundown SAX100.4 V2

Sub amp - NS-1 V2

Alts - 2 Singer 320a 6 Phase

2 XS D4800 under the hood

2 XS D3100's in back

2 Sundown Team 18's walled