Why are My Fuse Holders Melting??

Hi car audio noob here. I seem to have a problem with my fuse holders melting- I'm on my second one. My first fuse holder (T-Spec V6) was a cheap POS and in a bad location so I moved it and got a higher quality one(T-Spec V12). Well my second one melted so I took it to my local Car Toys and they told me that the problem was with my cheap power wire(T-Spec V6 1/0 CCA power wire). He compared mine to some Stinger 1/0( that he was selling at $7 a foot), and I could see that mine was definitely not as high quality. My issue with this is that I'm not pulling that much power... Only 140 amps-1600 watts. Even the cheapest 1/0 gauge should be able to handle that right?? He acted like that was a lot of power but to me that doesn't seem like anything to me. My question is what else could be causing it to melt like this? Also, whats the best power wire out there? Keep in mind this is a growing system... I'm planning on 7,000+ RMS. Any help/advice would be awesome. Thanks! Sorry the pics are f-ing huge I couldn't figure out how to put them in. I'm forum noob too/:

My first fuse holder....

Fuseholder2_zps8eb26d21.jpg

My second fuse holder...

FuseHolder1_zps79ab5f12.jpg

heat is cause of low voltage and loose wires I never had problem when I was running db link ofc 4ga to the rf t1000bd the reason why is the screw type fuse holder had a buddy to use them rf and kicker it always got hot an almost melts the plastic bought a pos bolt type never had a problem.also it could be the wire

02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab 3rd gen

2 sundown sd-2 d4

soundstream rub1.2500 amp

all sky high car audio-fuse,fuse holder,wire,ring lugs and rca

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

04 5.7l hemi motor swap and made it an slt eletric everthing

youtube channel-http://www.youtube.c...43?feature=mhee

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/190882-02-dodge-ram-1500-3rd-gen/

They tend to loosen every now and then. Loose connection = voltage drop = heat.

'98 Chrysler Concorde LXi
Pioneer DEH-80PRS (HU/processing)
Rockford Fosgate T1652-S (components) for front
Rockford Fosgate T1693 (6x9s) for rear
Rockford Fosgate T600-4 running those
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP running a

Rockford Fosgate T1D215 15"
in a 3.1 cu ft. net tuned to 34 hz (firing in cabin)
Kicker PKD1 (0 & 4 AWG)
stock 130 amp alt for now; One yellow top Optima
Installed everything myself & built box (brother helped)

Used a DD-1 to set gains.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165894-first-build-accumulated-since-i-was-14/

Just Pics: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1463-chrysler-concorde-lxi/?tab=images

They are junk!

Use fuse holders that require lugs to be attached to them so they do not loosen over time and heat to the point of melting.

The main reason those fuse holders loosen over time is the rocking of the engine and ever so slight tug on the wire causing it to loosen just enough to increase the resistance.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

100% Loose connection. Like Skullz said, a lug type holder is less likely to loosen. If you want to use the cheaper ones I have had success putting a dab of thread sealant on the screw before tightening it. Just dont put too much or it may get between the wire and the screw and cause the same problem.

Go on eBay and find fuse holders with bolts, they are around $5 a piece and will come with what fuse you need. I haven't had a problem yet with them. As far as the best power wire goes there are many good brands. Knuconcepts and XS Power has power cable but the best out there with the highest stand count is Sky High Audio. Good luck man with the build.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

you can also make your own and use locking nuts

http://www.delcity.net/store/MEGA-Fuse-Holder/p_795652.h_795653.t_1.r_IF1003?mkwid=7WlUPe7j&crid=8229606509&gclid=CM2myZGU1LoCFap7QgodaCkAWA

something like this won't losen up and cause voltage drop

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

Archived