I just bought a vd8 and love it when I listen to hip hop but I hate that type of music. When I listen to something like Korn it sounds like it is going past its xmax even at low volumes. It sounds like crap. It is in a small box about .30 cf. Amp is a Kicker 750.1 gain about half. Any ideas? Smaller box, bigger box, add stuffing etc? Thanks everyone.

I just bought a vd8 and love it when I listen to hip hop but I hate that type of music. When I listen to something like Korn it sounds like it is going past its xmax even at low volumes. It sounds like crap. It is in a small box about .30 cf. Amp is a Kicker 750.1 gain about half. Any ideas? Smaller box, bigger box, add stuffing etc? Thanks everyone.

Ryan,

Is the box ported or sealed?

I would check the settings on your amplifier as well - possible filters on head unit also. There are so many things that we could check over setting wise that might be causing the dramatic sound difference, but it should sound good on rock in general. I had test a pair of these in my vehicle for a few weeks and I listen to bands like Linkin Park and Shinedown regularly, as well as hip hop - and they seemed to sound great and responsive on both types of music.

Please keep me posted and I will help you with this. If you want to email me - [email protected] - my response times might be faster.

-Kevin

Skar Audio

www.SkarAudio.com
Phone : (888) 501-7527

skarav.jpg

The box is sealded. about .40 cf. the settings are reasonable I am somewhat experienced in car audio. That is why I am at a loss. It just sounds like I am trying to put 1000 watts through a 50 watt speaker. But it only happens when I listen to rock/metal!! Rap/crap sounds great......I just hate that type of music

If that's before displacement, that is kind of small I think. I have an 8 I haven't used yet, but I'm running a 10 in a .8cf before displacement and a 12 in a 1cf before displacement both in sealed boxes.

I noticed these VD subs respond dramatically to the box size, more so than the VVX, in my setup I found adding a little mass inside the box helped me get the response I wanted when getting the 12" going. Recheck your wires and everything, but you might end up okay stuffing the box.

The box is before displacment. I am going off the light. I am in the middle of replacing the power wire with a larger gauge to see if that is the problem.

Alright, first off the box might be a tad too small for the sub but it shouldnt have that much of an affect on it. 2nd, you never said what you had the sub wired at. If you are wired too low then you could be feeding it way too much power and causing the small box + too much power to overload the sub. 3rd, the light is never the way to tell if you are clipping or not. Those lights on the remotes are never on point. You need to get a hold of a DD-1 or a O-Scope and check to make sure you are not clipping the sub to hell. If you are clipping the sub then that could definitely cause the sub to overload. But first you need to scope the amp to see if its clipping then you need to figure oout what you have the sub wired to.

Thanks Chuck...Sorry about not replying as soon as I am. I do need to get one of those measurement tools. Not just for this project. At .40 cf it is at it's max. for suggested size box. It seems to be doing better but on some frequencies it sounds terrible. I don't know if porting the box would make a difference or not but the specs I get out of the modeling software calls for something like a 2 inch port 1/2 inch long for around 50 hz( not specific) That just sounds like a lot of port noise. At 400 watts rms....the sound should be fairly loud...I would think. I had a Kenwood 12 with somethinglike 200 going to it and it was pretty rocking. I know the 8 isn't as efficient as the 12 but at 1/3 the volume it sounds like it is hitting its xmax. Maybe I got a defective sub? However I do not think so because it is epic when listening to rap to an extend. There is a frequency that it really does not like. BTW how much are we talking about for those measurement tools?