96 4Runner with 2 Fi Q 18s (lots of pics)

I need to figure something out with my alternator situation.

It spins until it warms up every time I start the car, even after a long drive.

I think part of it has to do with charging 6 batteries and being 10 degrees outside, but that is not all of it.

I have actually spun two belts off since completion, when giving a demo while parked.
It would start spinning and would never catch up.

It has no issues when at full tilt on the highway, which is mostly what I care about.

It is just annoying being captain squeaky every time I start my car.

Any opinions on a belt dressings? I am not using it to mask an issue per say, but rather to hide one for 5 seconds haha

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

My build - 1996 4Runner with 2 18s - 149+ in a sealed box (with radiators)

0a4ee87c-28c8-4bf8-9dfe-5a06b9dea2dc_zps

3e3eb9dd-70f8-4424-ad11-ccebcd929ac4_zps

I am selling the mechman for a 270xp actually. Seems like the only option for those levels of power

With my battery bank, the Mechman 150a actually holds power without struggle. Voltage stays in the high 13s, until the belt starts to slip.

This is due to my 4 rib crankshaft pulley, which limits me on belt options.

Unless the DC will be guaranteed not to slip, I see no reason to switch

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

Thanks guys
iPad dash stuff is next.

Couldn't decide between the 80prs and the 360.3, so I think I am doing both haha

I still drive people a lot, so I have to be somewhat considerate towards others haha

If I did the 360.3 only, I would be limited to only one device connected.

Since I also use my phone for pandora and music at times, I want multiple connection points, which the 80prs makes really easy.

For now, I will just use the 80prs, then will work out a 360.3 after SBN

By the way, hope to see you guys there

You could check into converting your serpentine system to a 5+ rib system. Otherwise, I like the build a lot! i think the amp rack actually looks kinda cool showing wires. Trim panel would be easy to do though!

You could check into converting your serpentine system to a 5+ rib system. Otherwise, I like the build a lot! i think the amp rack actually looks kinda cool showing wires. Trim panel would be easy to do though!

The pulley that runs the alt is the crankshaft pulley.

It also runs the A/C and power steering.

There are no options to make it a higher rib setup, short of machining an entirely new setup.

If anything, I could just add some idler pulleys to a bracket to help with belt wrap

There is a large gap between crankshaft pulley and alternator, and it lets it have some slack I'm sure.

If I go tight enough to not slip on startup, it snaps haha

I've debated doing a beauty cover panel for the wires, but it's kinda cool seeing 50 feet of 1/0 there.

Pictures don't do justice to how organized it all is either. In person, it is very obvious how it is laid out with intent.

Notice I haven't wrapped the box yet either, so it isn't out of the question.

As soon as some warmth comes back, I'll button everything up

As always, thanks for the compliments!

definitely feel ya on the cold weather. it's whats holding me back from doing any work on my truck right now lol

and for the alt i'd say do the idler pulley to get more belt wrap. probably the easiest and cheapest option right now.

love the look of the system though! you should take a video!

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

As soon as it warms up a bit, I'll make the braket for idler pulley and take a video.

I think I'm gonna order an imsg-1 so I can sweep through all frequencies and try and eradicate as much rattle as possible.

With 200 square feet of dynamat, I don't have much.

Most is on the outside of the car honestly.

And my sunroof hates life. I'm hopeful that some foam and such will take care of it. Otherwise I'll put it and patch it

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the whole alternator setup today.

Looked over everything and realized it wasn't aligned very well, and the belt was sitting crooked.

Turns out the two washers aren't the same size. Swapped them and it brought the alt forward into proper alignment. Got the belt replaced under warranty. And now it's perfect.

Holds high 13s at full tilt on music.

Even my loudest tracks couldn't drop it into the 12s. At idle too

Very happy.

My imsg-1 should be here in a few days, and I can take care of some rattle issues, mostly the sunroof

Archived