Sundown Audio

So will the ns v3s be using the same surrounds as the zv4 and x lines? I thought you said earlier that the nsv3 would use a smaller surround as it was more geared towards spl=more cone area.

We will have an option for other cone / surround combos down the line; which will actually be usable on all drivers with the new frames (X, Z v.4, and NS v.3)

Really cone area is of minimal concern -- it's about 0.3dB different than a standard Z v.3 surround by cone area alone.

For SPL the "issue" is that the new surrounds are heavy; they represent most of the mass other than the coil on these drivers. This extra mass is great for low frequency extension and all of the new motors are designed to handle the mass well; but not so much for SPL where you want the FS to go up since FS is derived from stiffness and MMS.

So the optional cones with smaller surrounds primarily serve to shave off moving mass and increase the FS.

Edited by sundownz
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Will these be able to be made into great 4th order subs? Qts seems a little low for 4th orders. Also curious if the team sub will be well suitable for 4ths

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Will these be able to be made into great 4th order subs? Qts seems a little low for 4th orders. Also curious if the team sub will be well suitable for 4ths

In this set up? Most likely not. With the Zv3 cone and surround and various other parts very much so. This isn't a big guess for the team subs either it will most likely get the same big surround and heavy cone like all the other subs unless asked directly to jacob other wise.

2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab.

I wouldn't put too much stock in looking at parameters only. We dropped some of these right into Scott Bowman's Tahoe -- right after testing Z v.4s -- the NS v.3 was as loud / louder at any frequency (the gains came the lower the frequency and leveled out up higher). It also matched the peak score of his old NS v.2s -- which is nice since his peak is ~50 Hz... and gained the ability to play forcefully a full octave below his peak :) Scott runs six 15s in a 4th order.

Zach Pope will be installing some NS v.3 in a 4th order soon as well -- so stay tuned for that :)

Edited by sundownz

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

I wouldn't put too much stock in looking at parameters only. We dropped some of these right into Scott Bowman's Tahoe -- right after testing Z v.4s -- the NS v.3 was as loud / louder at any frequency (the gains came the lower the frequency and leveled out up higher). It also matched the peak score of his old NS v.2s -- which is nice since his peak is ~50 Hz... and gained the ability to play forcefully a full octave below his peak :) Scott runs six 15s in a 4th order.

Zach Pope will be installing some NS v.3 in a 4th order soon as well -- so stay tuned for that :)

never got a chance to sit in Scott's Tahoe but I saw it this year at sbn and saw he had new night shades, scary to think it got louder in any way lol I'll definitely keep what you said in mind

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

• 2 weeks later...