Fixing Warped Panel?

SMZ2

CameraZOOM-20140322115434530.jpgCameraZOOM-20140322115755978.jpg

How do I fix this? Do I need to cut out spots? Thanks guys.

I was thinking a "relief" cutout on the part that is warped. Is this correct?

I would say cut out and sand down the warped spots and the pockets they created and then reapply more resin and fiberglass. You might have to go thru that process a couple times just to make sure there isn't anything noticeable in the finished product.

Yours doesn't look half as bad as some of them I've seen, so pretty sure you'll be able to fix it rather than starting over... Most of the time if it warps or has significant air pockets, it's easier and quicker to just start over.. But I don't think that's the case here.

Also an FYI for future reference, if you staple closer together and in a straight line for the fabric (staples almost overlapping in a line) it will hold it's shape and position better and is less likely to warp once you apply resin and is curing.

• 3 weeks later...

CameraZOOM-20140412114343220.jpgCameraZOOM-20140412114331273.jpg

I'm closing the gap. This is the only problem area. I am going to sand down the inside some more and see if that helps. I have plenty of material to patch it back up as well.

Is there a type of screw I could use to better secure the panels along the the bottom? I don't think just the clips will work with all the added weight.

At the risk of coming off bad, I think you should know for future reference, that panel is done wrong and should be scrapped.

The rings should have had rabbet grooves in them to staple the material into and ithe material should have been pulled tighter all around.

The staple the material just short of the curve down the panel to bodywork could blend better.

The only way that panel could have warped would be from the resins being mixed too hot. The material was not pulled tight enough to warp the panel.

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

Some of these guys are right. The same thing happened to me to a lesser extent. When I made my door pods, I placed the door panels on the floor and applied the fiberglass and resin to make the back of the pod. Well the panel was not 100% flat as it should have been. When I finally made the pods and bolted them onto the panel, sure as shit, the pods disfigured the panel and you could only tell when I attempted to re-install the panel with new clips. One kept popping out.

You're going to have to redo the panel again. I suggest doing the backing while the panels are still in the car. I'm not an expert, but this may solve the problem, unless someone has a better idea. The home depot FG cures in 2 hours. I am going to redo my pods because they stick out ALOT. lol.

-Frank

if you are a rookie to glassing nothing beats sunflash. no warping.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived