Sundown Audio

sundown sa12 dust cap hot....

Ok so I have two sa12's d4 on a saz1200d gain set with a dd1 on -5db . Can crossover an ssf set with cc1. Crossover at 100hz an ssf at 30 Hz box is tuned at 34hz... So after playing today in 80 degrees sunny day for maybe 20min an went full tilt maybe 4-5 minutes on a track the dust caps was pretty warm ... Not like burning hot can't hold my hand to them hot but noticeably warm- hot... No smell..so is that normal with the sa???

That's not bad. my sa 8v2 dust cap gets warm after full tilt for several songs. I wouldn't be worried

06 monte carlo

2 12 rockford p3s

soundstream rubicon 2500

crescendo audio mezzo 6.5

ct sounds 125.4

execution audio and shca wiring

2 xs d3400 on stock alt

This is normal for any subwoofer that has an air vent on the back of the motor.

The dust cap pulls in and pushes out the air around the coil. As the air passes that hot coil it heats up, it then hits the dust cap and transfers some of that heat to it.

Don't worry about it.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

The surface area on an L5 15's "dust cap" (or whatever it would be called in that design) compared to the surface area of the dust cap on a SA 12 is significantly smaller.

Larger surface area allows for a faster transaction of heat. This may be why you didn't feel anything.

It is also possible that underneath that eye-catching cone there is a real cap that absorbs the heat and nothing is felt on the cone.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

I was wondering the same thing as you, except I have an SA-8.

Now my questions are answered as far as that.... Onto clipping, I have the at1400.1d, and was also wondering if that was clip indicator comes on EARLY, because my voltage is stable at 13.8v, and I don't see anything lower than that. I also don't feel or hear distortion at all, nor do I hear clipping.

Clipping won't necessarily make your voltage drop.

You also won't hear the clipping when it first starts. You will have to have a fairly large clip in order for that to happen.