'01 Civic performance mods?

So I have my '01 civic (in picture) and it's completely stock besides a 900cca AGM battery and a cold air intake. I need to know if it's worth it to do any major upgrades to the engine (SOHC 1.7l) like headers/catback, injectors, turbo, ect. I've kinda heard that with the SOHC it's not really worth it to mod the engine because you won't get as much performance increase.

I'm also partial to an engine swap, but I know i'd have to save up a couple G's for a scrapyard motor and my families' mechanic labor.

Any opinions?

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do what you can afford. You want real performance either swap it , tUrbo it or sell it for something better

2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition-Singer 240A Alt, Odyssey Battery,Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, Pioneer GM-DX874 powering Kicker CSS67 front-CSC5 rear, and Memphis PR 1.1000 powering 12in SSA ICON in G.P. ported box.

2003 Tahoe-320A Alt, Odyssey Batt,2 Resilient Sounds Gold 15's sealed powered by Crescendo BC2000D, Turbulent Designs Ported box AVH601EX head unit and Pioneer 3ways in all doors.

Do an engine swap. I personally like k20s, k20a2 to be exact but there more expensive then a b16. But an engine swap would be the best bet if you want a good increase in power. Or like the other person said, you can sell your car and get a 240sx or 300zx twin turbo. Super nice car

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

You also have to consider if this is your daily car and do you want to use a tuned modded car as a DD.

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Buy a nice trailer, put the Civic on it, and tow it behind a muscle car.

With 1.7l to work with, this is the only reasonable advice.

If you still want to do something, put the juice to it. Just a 50 shot. Done right, it'll have no negative impact, and cost about $600.

However,

Turbos whine...

Bottles are for babies...

I'd rather be blown...

Actually supercharger whine haha. Just saying -_-

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Building your D17 (I believe that's what they used in 01') can still be fast. Just depends on your budget and how much you want to spend.

I actually would advise against a 300zx, unless you can find someone who's a complete GURU with that particular car inside out, knowing how the 300zx works and whatnot.

The 240sx is more manageable though.

Of all the years I've spent around Hondas, the scene has died down, and demand for K-series has also died down, so they're more affordable. If you're wanting to do a B-series swap, it's quite cheap now, I think total for THAT swap's like 300-400 in Orl, FL.

I also highly disagree with ParDeus about if it's a 1.7L it should be towed by a "muscle" car. Some Honda's, on 1.6L and 1.7L i4's can put some of them to shame.... Street driven too.

You need to also consider tuning your engine's performance rather than just boltons.... I don't know if you realize it, but the Honda's with catbacks/headers/CAI are REALLY slow on the road. They need their engine internals modified PROPERLY, with a tuning ECU, all this costs some coins, especially the dyno runs if you're trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of it. The same goes for if you're wanting to do swaps.

Don't expect to put a higher performance engine to be slapped in your car and run crazy fast. People take their cars to get tuned properly for it to run.

Ohh, I forgot to mention, your D-series transmission won't last long on anything more than probably 25-50HP (depending on how hard you launch and beat on it). There's a lot of factors that come into play when making cars fast. You should do some extensive research before jumping into this different category of cars.

FWIW: FWD+High HP/TQ=FAIL from a launch, You'll only get so far... The folks I know that's been around Hondas have eventually sold their cars and converted to AWD/RWD by now, with the exception of a few.

Hope this helps you in your future ventures, GL!

Actually supercharger whine haha. Just saying -_-

Mines virtually silent. Just sayin'.
At high rpms?

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

I've built a 1000hp turbo v8 in a Camaro, that the guy drove on the power tour (3k miles), got decent mileage, idle all day if needed, and the car has done 200mph.

Ohh ya, did it for $4500.

Show me a 1.7l that can even come close.

You wouldn't be highly disagreeing with me, you'd be highly disagreeing with physics. Front wheel drives are pure shit for trying to go fast. As the old addage says, there is no replacement for displacement.

OP, not trying to discourage you, but if you do anything serious, swap. If you want just a little extra oomph, have the head ported, and spray a 50 pill.

Search the name Larry Widmer, The Old One. It might be Theoldone.com, not sure. Read, read, read. I've worked around this man, and he is the BEST Honda head guy out there. Hell, one of the best head guys all around.

Now, the guys in my line of work (nascar) poo poo him for thinking outside of the box, but his fast burn head theory is quite functional, and his heads were on Bill Elliots car when he set the all time top speed record at Daytona and Talledaga. Hell, the guy even created a variable compression ratio rod to cheat the NASCAR compression rule. Pure genius.

I can give you his phone # by PM if you wish.

Archived