Second Skin Audio

Sealed box to small

Rck'nRF

When pushing my brand new & broken in 15" Alpine sub,at about 150watts

it's starts making this crunching sound like the voice coil is in a to tight of a

box, or is it in to big of a box? Sub can handle 500watts rms,it's in a box in

the 1.9 cu.ft area(rated for box between 1.34 - 2.1cu.ft),the sub can handle

so much more,but i don't want to wreck it,as soon as it hits those heavier bass notes,

it's scratch city coil stuff going on..?

How much is the woofer moving when you play it? Are you trying to play low? If so you may be bottoming it out.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Just throwing this out there; is it possible you're pushing too hard on too small an amp and hearing distortion?

I just ask because I'm running an Image Dyanamics ID8 in a fairly small enclosure (middle of the range for that woofer) but I've got quite a bit of extra power to throw at it so I'm not stressing the amp much, and it sounds extremely clean. Even when fairly loud and playing low notes, I never hear anything out of the ordinary from it, it just won't reproduce anything extremely low due to the small size of the woofer and limited airspace in the sealed enclosure.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

The whole "At 150watts" thing has me confused. How does one figure that it's getting "150 watts"? Anyways, are you wanging on it? You say it's only 3 hrs old and most new subs (most commercial that is) won't really like full tilt being the virgins they are.

you don't have to break in subs, every sub I've ever owned out of the box i usually put max rated power to it and let it bang! I've never once "broke" in a sub. my type rs included! I've never blown or damaged a sub doing that. my type rs have seen over rated for the last 7 mounths and rated before that. they still sound and act like the day i got them!

i have a boy who has a r 15 in a big 4cubic ft box and he had the same crunch noise. he was clipping and boosting the crap out of it! "but it's only a "600w" amp yeaaaaaa and? his gain... you guessed it all the way up his boost?... correct again maxed out. the sub was being extended pass it's limits every time it moved. which wasnt much. set your gains right and see what happens

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

you don't have to break in subs, every sub I've ever owned out of the box i usually put max rated power to it and let it bang! I've never once "broke" in a sub. my type rs included! I've never blown or damaged a sub doing that. my type rs have seen over rated for the last 7 mounths and rated before that. they still sound and act like the day i got them!

i have a boy who has a r 15 in a big 4cubic ft box and he had the same crunch noise. he was clipping and boosting the crap out of it! "but it's only a "600w" amp yeaaaaaa and? his gain... you guessed it all the way up his boost?... correct again maxed out. the sub was being extended pass it's limits every time it moved. which wasnt much. set your gains right and see what happens

Excellent point, gains and bass boost are important and can affect a lot. I built a box for two type r 15s and had a similar crunch sound we ended up fixing some stuff with the wiring and power/ground too the amp and it went away but no guarantees that's what fixed it. I personally always break in subs, I just think its too risky to run a lot of power right out of the box but its kind of a personal prefence

Archived