New to the SQ game

crw092782

I have been installing audio equipment for about 18 years but I have always stuck to my bread and butter. SPL. I have used primarily MDF and Baltic birch to build everything. I want to do something different. I want to try my hand at a nice looking (and sounding) SQ install. Ideally I would like to fiberglass my A-Pillars, door pods, and possibly a nice fiberglass amp rack/sub enclosure.

I have been playing around with different setups but I just cant seem to keep the costs down to a manageable budget. I am going to be installing this in to my daily driver. 2004 Pontiac Vibe. I am going to deaden the roof, doors, floor, and hatch next week as well.

Sub: I was checking around and it seems that the JBL GTI MKii 12" seems to be a favorite.

Sub amp: Open to suggestions

Head Unit: Sony MEX-N5000BT (Just installed it today)

Component sets: Open to suggestions

Other amps: Open to suggestions

Now I would love to be able to order top of the line Audison or Focal but I just can't afford to do that. My budget for the build is $1500. Since I will be installing this all in stages, it is important that I stay with 6.5" speakers for now so that I can utilize the stock door locations until I practice my fiberglass skills a little. Thanks for your help.

2004 Pontiac Vibe Build

Sony MEX-N5000BT

JBL P660C x 2

Sundown Audio Zv4 18

Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Execution Audio 0 AWG Wire

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals

XS Power D1200

DC Power 240HP Alternator

Viper 5706

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am really leaning toward Soundcubed PA6.5's now. The more I read about them the more I think they are what I am looking for. And for the price? Amazing!

2004 Pontiac Vibe Build

Sony MEX-N5000BT

JBL P660C x 2

Sundown Audio Zv4 18

Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals

XS Power D1200

Viper 5706

Thank you. The car I just sold had some SA-12's in there and I loved the company. I will check out their 6.5's. I wish there was a shop around here. All of the shops within an hour of me all closed down years ago. :(

2004 Pontiac Vibe Build

Sony MEX-N5000BT

JBL P660C x 2

Sundown Audio Zv4 18

Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals

XS Power D1200

Viper 5706

That sucks. I like to just go listen in the shops occasionally.

But yeah those sundowns are awesome. They aren't fancy looking but sound good. I have some JL XR650s that I run because I like the around better when they are loud. But the XRs are like the old c5s so they cost like twice as much as the sundowns. The only reason I don't run the sundowns is because of the fact that the JLs sound better at close to max volume. At normal levels, the sundowns are pretty close to just as good. Definitely worth the price.

My dream SQ system would be

PRS80

Rainbow Germanium Comps

Zuki Elite amps

Alumapro subs

if I had an unlimited budget lol

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Now that I have a hatchback again, part of me wants to throw a couple of the Obsidian 18's in the back for the summer and see what they are like. It's hard to imagine that an 18 in sub that costs less than $200 could be that great, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. Just when I thought I was out, they go and pull me back in! lol

2004 Pontiac Vibe Build

Sony MEX-N5000BT

JBL P660C x 2

Sundown Audio Zv4 18

Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals

XS Power D1200

Viper 5706

Sounds like a good sounding system build ... But sorry to say, not Sound Quality (Yes, there is a diference) ...

First thing I would be seeking out would be a great pair of components for the front stage and work with tweeter positioning.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived