Hey guys! Finally decided to get around to a build log now that I have graduated from college with tons of free time on my hand, so let’s get this show on the road!

So this car's got 196k+ miles on it at the moment, and hasn't really needed any significant replacements other than the fuel pump and engine mount. Going strong and hoping to stay that way! The plan is to hope that it still functions properly with all of this weight once it's in. This car has been through 4 or 5 different setups so far, starting with 2 12" MTXs to Kicker Comps, to 12" Zcons, to this. I've never really put much effort into any of the past builds but I hope to surprise myself and maybe a few of you with this one. I've always just went into prior builds with the mindset of "I'm just going to upgrade in a few months" but that's pretty much impossible now.

Enough with all the talk though, let’s get to what’s in it:

· Pioneer headunit

· Crescendo C1100.4

· 4 PWX 6.5s

· 4 Black FT-1 Supertweets

· DC Audio 9.0k

· 2 DC Audio Lvl 6 18s walled

· DC Power Engineering 270XP Alternator

· 4 XP3000s (5th one eventually)

· 2 D3100s

· Pair of Toolmaker bussbars built for 5 XP3000s

· Lots of SHCA wiring and whatnot

Any feedback good or bad is welcome, but if it’s bad I’d at least like an explanation so I can learn!

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suppose I’ll start off with a pic of the entire car…then work my way from the front to the back.

5% tint all the way around, plus a strip for the windshield. Old pic, keep in mind how much gap there is between rear tire and car with 2 12” Zcons, 2 Brutus 2100s and an XP3000 in the back half of the car.

DSCN2568_zps68912b47.jpg

Side view of car, when we first installed a base/floor in place of the back seat a while ago:

DSCN2574_zps3820a936.jpg

Now starting from the front of the car…this beast of an alternator! Swapped out from a 235amp that wasn’t even putting out/turning on at idle (550ish RPMs) to this 270amp charging at 14.8v:

DSCN2854_zpsaab8c7b3.jpg

As you can see, the DC Power alt only has 2 mounting posts instead of the 3 that the stock and other HO alt had:

DSCN2851_zpsddbf3ee3.jpg

And on top of that the positive post coming off the alternator was pointed directly at the engine block AND touching it. Definitely a no-no so we just attached 3 washers on the backside of the mounting posts and ran the bolts through them to ‘kick’ the alternator off of the engine 3/8 of an inch or so.

DSCN2840_zps073a9c19.jpg

The orientation of the positive post also made it a P.I.T.A. to get the 1/0 (to batteries) and 4 gauge (to starter) wires on there without them hitting up against the engine block but we managed. Unfortunately this meant that I’m unable to do 2 runs of positive to the batteries from the alt.

I decided to remove the Interstate under the hood and just roll with the XPs and Ds in the rear (if you know what I mean ;) ). Here’s the 1/0 Sky High going from the alt to the back:

DSCN2845_zps7e526de2.jpg

Here’s the headunit, it’s a Pioneer and I’ve got 4 channel RCAs + 2 channel sub RCAs coming out of it. Really tight fit in this dash but it gets the job done:

Insert pic of the headunit here

Moving on to deadener, I know there are at least ~35 sheets between the 4 doors and trunk lid – mostly doors though. Couple shots of it, it’s 2 layers thick in some places:

Take a picture of each door with deadener, trunk lid too and put here

I don’t have door panels or kicks or anything actually done for the mids and highs yet (still trying to mock up ideas), but I do have pictures of them as well as a temporary little box I made for them so I’d have some music. Took out the stock door speakers so I needed something:

61C69367-3331-41B6-BD83-4B48B912EBD2-140

Take pictures of the PWXs and FT-1s and put here

Moving on to the ass-end of this thing…I’m really having to squeeze everything in here. I’ll start with the batteries:

Find pictures on my camera of all 6 batteries by each other

I ended up building a box for the XP3000s going the width of my trunk opening towards interior of the vehicle. This is all the first time I’ve ever wrapped anything in vinyl, or any material for that matter:

DSCN2846_zps0373fcd7.jpg

DSCN2847_zps0391617f.jpg

DSCN2848_zps48fb4405.jpg

I ended up mounting the Crescendo on top of these batteries because the 9.0k is too wide to fit anywhere but the back end of the trunk. Decided to cut out underneath the amp to allow it to breathe a little. You can notice the wooden box inbetween the batteries, I cut it the same dimensions as one of them so I can add a 5th in the future if necessary and when I want to spend more money on this. Also cut out notches in the front ends for wires to go in and out:

DSCN2860_zpse484aee9.jpg

DSCN2861_zpse8b5d27a.jpg

DSCN2864_zpscfad31cf.jpg

DSCN2868_zps48ca2bf3.jpg

DSCN2870_zps8c388ed8.jpg

DSCN2900_zpsdea2e13a.jpg

I’m still mocking up something for both of the D3100s and the 9k, since it needs to sit at the back of the trunk so that the pos and neg wires don’t hit the trunk arms. Here are some of the misc. photos that I have taken of things like wire/lugs/etc:

D1F9D188-70F4-470A-8DDB-1CA8128DB0EF-881

3C2E197A-F85E-4403-AD93-8AAA69D5AECD-122

FAE387DA-536F-4CD4-8295-53E7EE9395C2-122

Charging at 14.9/15.2 on the SMD VM-1 when I put the DC Power Alt in for the first time:

DSCN2843_zps744ad5d6.jpg

I am heading to bed now (2am) but I'll post up some pictures of what I've gotten done this past weekend to the actual wall itself in the morning when I wake up. Going to be fiberglassing the inside of the wall tomorrow morning and working on the flush baffle and D3100s/9k layout tomorrow afternoon. Hope to have all 6 batteries hooked up tomorrow with a couple coats of fiberglass done

Archived