Sundown Audio

2 Sundown E-15 D2 V2 's bottoming out in sealed box on alpine mrp-m1000

Lol I knew people would say this. I've always gotten hell for mixing stuff. I've been told yet have done it all. Mixed sub brands, sizes, box types, amp brands, amp types, ect. I had one setup back there that was all free subs that had busted surrounds either from tears or abuse which I replaced with superglue and bicycle innertubes. Perfect curve to fit nicely for the record. I had a 12 inch alpine, 12 inch punch, and 15 inch Memphis. all on random mid/low name amps, but I managed to make it all sound decently clean, and it bumped pretty hard too. I remember how angry this guy was at a car meet when I outbumped his 2 lj audio 13 1/2 on a 1000slash and then showed him my setup lol. My point is yes why not go all matching if you can, but if you can't it's not the end of the world. People assume mixing anything will sound bad, but I've proved any who would actually listen to my setups wrong on that. But like I did say in my last post, I do hope to eventually go ALL sundown in that box, but for now having the R's in there increased my output significantly. I was running just the E's at first because I wanted to hear them bump by themselves. It went from my buddy with the x-18 going "damn that slams, but I don't know if it slams harder than mine under 40hz" to him literally throwing his hands up and walking away jokingly saying he was going to have order 3 more 18's now lol. Best part is I have absolutely no port noise, which I can NOT stand, and it's completely clean at all levels be it hitting to dubstep, or rock.

For the record this is a damn good song to slamn. It goes through what sounds like 30-50+ hz with a random 28 or lower thrown in after some of the bass cycles.
she say she wanna - psyph morison
Surprisingly my whole car shakes violently even at that lowest note, People can hate all they want, but I love sealed boxes. I have NEVER heard a ported box have half the range.

Edited by Stephen Rapp

To me it seems that the reason you are bottoming out at high volume on the E's is because they aren't loading off of anything. The type R's have the rear gate to load off of but the closest thing is the roof for the E's. I would bet that if you were to flip the box to allow the E's to fire off the rear gate you will notice an improvement as well. Sealed boxes usually don't do well without having a surface to load off of.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

To me it seems that the reason you are bottoming out at high volume on the E's is because they aren't loading off of anything. The type R's have the rear gate to load off of but the closest thing is the roof for the E's. I would bet that if you were to flip the box to allow the E's to fire off the rear gate you will notice an improvement as well. Sealed boxes usually don't do well without having a surface to load off of.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if that did help, but I built the box to be setup this way, and even if It wasn't VERY bolted down, flipping it would make it stick up a lot and not be close to the back hatch anymore. I'm just running the amp slightly lowered and was able to adjust the 7 band equalizer on my head unit to the point where It doesn't bottom out on most songs now. I just have to be cautious on low hitting songs. My main point however is the fact that Sundown stated that this shouldn't really be possible in a box and anywhere near rated power in all their demo videos. They had a free air E-10 well over powered and on a gruesome track and said that's what It took to start jumping the gap and hitting. I am very happy with how they sound, I'm just disappointed in their inability to handle rated power if not less, in an enclosure build damn close to sundown's own recommendations. But in the long run I will probably (if they survive) put them where the R's are with the 1.7ft^3 and hope that starving them will keep them from bottoming, and then put SA-15's in the top.

So you have the E12's in 2.7cuft each sealed?

um, might want to drop that down to like 1cuft each sealed.

edit: nevermind, miss read op.

Edited by strangeduck

Well I happen to run an E 12 in my wife's car off of a Kicker zx500.1(which is pretty much the same power yours are seeing) The difference is hers is in 1.45 cubes ported and tuned to 40hz. The sub has never bottomed out nor had an issue. I don't think its because you are only running a sealed box I would bet on loading being the issue. Even ported boxes will react similar if there isn't a proper surface to load off of, they just happen to be a bit more forgiving is all.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Well I happen to run an E 12 in my wife's car off of a Kicker zx500.1(which is pretty much the same power yours are seeing) The difference is hers is in 1.45 cubes ported and tuned to 40hz. The sub has never bottomed out nor had an issue. I don't think its because you are only running a sealed box I would bet on loading being the issue. Even ported boxes will react similar if there isn't a proper surface to load off of, they just happen to be a bit more forgiving is all.

Prior to this setup I was running the two R's with an E-12. The E 12 was on 400 watts. I sold the 12 E because I was impressed with it and got the E-15's. Unless the E's were just built different for some reason Idky they aren't handling this the same. The person I sold the 12 to, we set it up in a sealed box (I had it in a pre fab ported one and he disliked ported) and it was running solo in the back of an suv with a very large cargo area, more space in front than mine have to the roof that's for sure, also on 500 rms, and we pushed it hard testing it and it never once bottomed out. Ive run literally dozen's of setups in this jeep and never once have I had this issue, not upward facing, not rearward facing, not even when I was over powering low excursion kicker comps with my hatch open. I have never had a sub-woofer bottom out on me before. I even made the mistake in my earlier days of having two alpine type R 10's in a huge custom sealed box big enough for 15's thinking it would make them hit deeper, (I was young leave me alone lol) And even they didn't bottom out on me.

But the bottom line is, even if those small factors could make the difference between bottoming out and not, it's still disappointing that it's happening while not even being pushed to their full rated power. I Also still haven't heard back from Sundown when I emailed asking for suggestions on how to improve their performance.

i bet you the waves from the type r are casuing the e to bottom. instead of a canceling effect it is pushing more on the cone and pushing them further.

or you are clipping at some point in the system and the amp has no control of the subs and you are launching the cones. my buddy has a type e sundown on 500 watts and it does fine.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

I'm betting on improperly set gain as well. I know you used a DD1. Using the DD1 properly though is going to be hard to convey over text.

Could you walk us through the process on HOW the DD1 was used to determine no distortion?

I'm pointing the finger at gain setting, and if not, like . BUMP4Life said, cancellation.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Also, I didn't see any exact dimensions for your enclosure and your sealed chamber. You did mention 2.7 cubes which IS over what is recommended. In an acoustic suspension enclosure, the sub acts as a spring. If you've got too much air, you can lose mechanical control of the subwoofer.

I realize .2 doesn't sound like a bunch over spec, but it IS indeed over what is suggested. Can you give us EXACT dimensions of the sealed chambers please?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

It's the whole mixing subs thing that is causing issues, you can't mix subs in the same box, complete different specs from each other and it's causing issues for you, I honestly laugh when ppl do this bc they think, ah man no big deal. Well it is a big deal bc once again, different specs

I'm not trying to burst your bubble here but those subs are basically fighting each other bc different specs for the alpine and sundown

That is my theory