Sundown Audio

My test: Taramps HD8000

TaylorFade

This won't be as detailed as usual, but it's what I have for now. I'll come back and update it as I gather more data.

I finally got around to testing one of my Taramps 8k. As most of you know by now, I really liked the 3k that I had so I wasn't much worried about the 8k's performance. I assumed it would be similar but scaled up.

Just for size reference here. That's an American Bass 650.1 (which is like a 6k.)

20140523_143043_zps2lni3rdl.jpg

There are always questions/concerns about an 8k having single power and ground inputs. We all know that the amps are really efficient, but they're not magical. It still takes power to make power and as you can see here, the inputs swallow up 1/0. These will actually fit 4/0awg.

20140523_123717_zpsrefczxql.jpg

I don't have any pics of the control side, but those are easily found. The pots are adjustable by hand. I like that. There is only one set of speaker terminals. That's a pain in the ass, but since it's more of a voltage monster and not so much a current maker, I guess it's ok.

Setting it up unloaded. According to Taramps, 130acv is the sweet spot on this amp. And that looks to be just about right according to the amp monitor that was included with the 8k. The scope agrees. That "clip" light isn't just on/off. The worse the clipping gets, the brighter it gets. It's almost impossible to tell, but it's really dim here so we're just getting into distortion.

20140523_125626_zpsgit6ic9c.jpg

This is what you get if you get the clip light all the way off. Still a good bit of voltage, but pretty conservative for a Brazilian.

20140523_125718_zpshvoocm8v.jpg

I apologize in advance for the slack pics of the testing. And for the lack of a scope reading in the loaded pics. It was freaking out on me and I didn't have enough hands and eyes to keep track of everything and take pics. I know... I'm lame.

This is 5 ohms resistive (like the dyno). This is 2,500w @ 5 ohms and 13.1v with an impressive 91% efficiency. That is just lovely. Since the scope was being a bitch, I was relying on the clip light. You can see it's illuminated, but it's around the same "brightness" as the 130v unloaded. I'm ok with it here. This was the same volume and gain as it was unloaded.

Screenshot_2014-05-23-13-20-28_zpsxycuyw

Like I said... I didn't/couldn't get the data filled pics I usually get, so whatever.

This is 2.5 resistive. 4,850w @ 2.5 ohms and 12.3v. I still had the DC clamp on 400A so it's "OL". The next pull revealed it was 415A which would make it 95% efficient. I don't believe that so let's just say it's maintaining good efficiency. And you can see here there's no clip light (if you trust it).

1448_zpssbryjxcw.jpeg

Unfortunately... this was the last screenshot I got from this one. And the only one I got at 1 ohm resistive.

5,900w @ 1 ohm and 11.3v. With voltage this low and taxing the amp this hard, efficiency dropped to a rather pedestrian 74%. Which is still pretty good, actually.

1452_zpskigb6wvd.jpeg

While pushing and pushing this amp, I noticed that I could illuminate the red "protect" light, but the amp never protected. So, it must be more of a "danger" light than an indication that the amp has gone into protect.

On the 1 ohm resistive runs, I decided to test the low voltage protection since I will probably be flirting with it all season. I think Taramps says it protects at 10.5v so I just turned the amp loose and let it eat at 1 ohm resistive until it popped or protected.

Well....

20140523_135421_zpsksaoavds.jpg

Whoopsie.

20140523_135437_zpsw5j8u3as.jpg

Such is life. So, it never protected, which is odd. But here's the thing... it popped due to too much power. How retarded is that? Lol. Something no one will tell you is that this damn amp's components aren't rated to produce or even handle 8k for sustained periods. This is the 1 ohm version, but... it's not supposed to see 1 ohm. Huh?

Taramps is, apparently, counting on your box rise. You've heard that you're not supposed to wire Brazilians down, right? Well, this is why. They're not *supposed* to see their lowest rated impedance. And I just don't even know what to say about that. I mean, we all know we're not supposed to wire below lowest rated impedance, but we've been spoiled by bulletproof Koreans.

Bottom line is, wire this thing to 1 ohm nominal and expect 5-6k after rise. The other thing is... these things are made to live at battery voltages. They don't even like alternator charging levels. Why? Because it will cause them to make too much power. Sheesh.

I still have (2) more of these to gather more data from so I'm not ready to call it just yet. But you really need to know what you're getting into when you buy this amp. Don't charge too high or wire too low and you should have just as much reliability as a Korean. Price to performance is still there and you can see it's a very efficient voltage machine.

I'm still a fan, but this was definitely a chink in the Taramps armor. I'm putting one of the others in my truck at 1.2 daily so I will update this thread periodically. Wish me luck!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so yes you can save money but if you dont give it voltage it wants or if you have little rise then poof goes the magic dragon

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Great every fuckhead with shit electrical is gonna be popoing these bitches left and right. Cheap no electrical needed? Sign me up!

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I have been wanting to try one of these. But I also don't want to feel as if my amp is fragile and the mixed idea's on voltage has me spooked. I don't want to have issue just because my car charges 14.4v...

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

I dont think i would run one of these, They seem too easy to ruin especially if you dont know exactly what you are doing. Rather pay extra and get something I trust and that is dummy proof. lol

Archived