Second Skin Audio

Underseat box SVT Raptor

Pro7

Hey guys I'm gonna need some help designing a box for my dad in his new truck. I've never made or even helped make a box in a truck so this under the seat idea is kind of different from the trunks I'm used to. I just took some measurements and this is what I came up with for max dimensions.

vwRJU3J.jpg

The bottom of the seat has a curve upwards as it comes forward so I measured the spot that would have the lowest angle that would fit.

Jo6oVUx.jpg

This is the best I could explain it. The arrows are pointing to the flat board that would be the top. I'm trying to stay away from having to fiberglass the curve to fit snug against the seat the whole way but if that's my last option I could try.

What I was hoping to fit in this box was a couple 8s and face them down. Unless there is another option that I am missing. Something like a couple sundown sd8s if they are shallow enough, I know this is really pushing it for how thin the box is but he would really rather not mod the truck too much like raise the seats since its brand new.

The goal is just to have a nice daily, something that can play 50 down to like 35 because he doesn't listen to decaf or anything super low. The most rap that'll be played is hip-hop nation on sirius radio. At the same time though I don't want him to blow a sub from playing below tuning on accident because he'd have no idea what to watch out for.

I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a crew cab f150 as we'll. you can get a little more height in the box. Buy some 1" strips of wood and make a skeleton to get the exact shape. Also the front of the box, make it flush with the front of the seat but angle down to the floor to gain a little space. I haven't actually built anything major for mine yet but you can get about 1.4 cubes under the larger back seat and 2 cubes altogether. I've been debating between JL TW3s, the sundown shallow 8, and Hertz ES F25.5s. Hope this helps a little. I'm considering doing 1/2" MDF and glassing the box for strength. Down fire will gain the most output but also needs another 2"a at least for clearance to the floor. I believe the back of the box can be closer to 6 1/4" and where the seat angle changes closer to 6 7/8". Also mounting the subs as for to the front of the box as you can will yield the most mounting depth.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Yeah thanks man that's a good idea to make a skeleton box first. I was thinking about how to make a strong box with thinner wood too and your idea with the 1/2" mdf should work. I might need a visual aid with what you're talking about for the front face of the box tho, do you mean use the 8.5" side and have the back only like 4" high?

My measurements are probably that inch or so off of yours because my dad went with the weathertech floor mats that he doesn't want me to mess with unfortunately.

I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before

I also have the wearhertech floor mat. Short and sweet. By changing my box with 2 8s on 150 watts from up fire to downfire I doubled the output. By putting my wearhertech mat back in I sounded worse than upfiring. I plan to buy a factory all weather mat and cut it around my box when I get something worth a damn. Only need the weathertech when taking my two Saint Bernards camping. And by the front angle I mean look at your drawing and the 11" measurement. Make that 13" and everything else the same.

This is the only mockup I've done so far and played around with measurement in sketchup. Plan to build a skeleton before I order anything.

B71F1268-8466-48E1-A29C-2ABD1F5E03CB.jpg

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Ok yeah now I'm following ya. I think I'm just gonna have to work around the weathertech mats because sure the amount of output lost won't matter near as much to him as keeping his nice floor mats hahaha

But that's for the tips, now how much clearance should I give off of the floor? 2"?

I also don't know how much port a couple 8s usually need or even airspace for the matter. I'll probably go with sundown sd's if they fit and I'll look up manufacturer recommended airspace but I still don't know about port area.

Honestly I've started to like the sound of my sealed 8s even though I wish it was louder. Response is smooth and even, just need to have the box on the large end of recommended to get the most low end output but for alternative, country, and pop music it does great. And it all depends on the subs for how much clearance they need, the Sundown SDs should fit but will require you to get every 1/10 of an inch you have in space. I haven't found the actual measurement of their surround but I would imagine the face of the box would need to be 2-2.5"s from the floor.

This is from google but you get an idea on box shape

Sub_-_Amps_04.JPG

6690d1248040137t-new-sub-box-works-09-su

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Archived