Sundown Audio

Sundown SD-3 Line : In the Works

Sundown SD-3 Line : In the Works

-----

Thanks to the success of the SD-2 8" model I started developing the SD-3 line; this will replace all SD-2 models in 8/10/12" sizes (there is no 15 in this series).

The SD-3 motor and coil design will become under-hung like the 8" model on the bigger 10 and 12" models -- I am also further optimizing the parameters of all models for sealed enclosures... even the 8" model will be tweaked a bit more. They have the same topology as the 8" -- a 1" top plate and 1/2" long coil -- but the 10/12 design uses a 2.5" diameter coil compared to the 2" on the eight.

As far as release date... by the time prototype is done and production is done probably October or so.

-----

Here she is -- the first full 10" prototype :

SD-3%2010-1.jpg

SD-3%2010-2.jpg

SD-3%2010-3.jpg

I am using an inverted surround to save front mount depth.

-----

My least favorite part of verifying prototypes... cutting them down to check measurements. Also verified that the spider was, in fact, not the correct one. It was too stiff ; in the third pic you can see the spider is two layers but it should be a single layer.

Based on my testing and dissection I am doing another round of prototypes. Actually two versions... one set with only some minor gap modifications (with correct single layer spider), and one set also with a wider magnet in case the spider change itself doesn't get me where I want to be.

So hopefully I will have four more prototypes soon.

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

nice. cool idea to invert the surround. I love how compact the speaker is.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Yeah the inverted surround is exactly what I am in need of right now, very nice implementation. Will these have even less mounting depth than the v2s?

I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before

None of the changes will increase the power handling; although, many people do run amps rated for more than 300-watts on the 8s as they sit.

I have a 1200D on a pair in my truck... obviously not wide open but they aren't super fragile :)

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am quite pleased with the 10" model -- we fired one up on Friday with what I believe will be the production suspension in a test box in a vehicle (CRX was test vehicle). Tons of bottom-end and extremely clean and tight bass reproduction. Our box was about 0.6 before displacement; I want to try a bit smaller. We tested everything from rap music to Mudvayne on it smile.png

These are a driver with a hard limit -- something to keep in mind. As both an under-hung and relatively shallow design there isn't much excess clearance so things can bottom out. It takes quite a bit based on my test (we had an NS-1 on it as it was already installed in the test vehicle). It is very low distortion up until hard bottom.

It looks like we will end up with different motors on each size; 8, 10, 12 all with different motors. The specs on the 10" ended up great with the 190mm OD motor, but it won't cut it for the 12" so we'll probably use the 220mm OD motor. So obviously pricing will reflect this; I am still working on the final pricing and will announce when I have it -- but I feel like they will be worth every penny for small, sealed box, high fidelity applications.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

nice... and the timing might be perfect for me :)

so 4.94" Mounting depth. That will also work perfect