Sundown Audio

Is this normal? SAZ-2000D buzzing...

Hey guys,

I bought a Sundown SAZ-2000D amp off caraudio classifieds from someone with over 30 excellent reviews and is apparently a former Sundown Rep (I think I saw it somewhere, I could be mistaken). The amp is 1 year old and is in perfect physical condition. It was packaged extremely well using newspaper and about 15 cloths. Box had no damage to it and there's no dings or anything from transport.

Anyways I threw it in my truck today with intentions on setting the gain and throwing it on my Type Rs on a 2 ohm load. I then plugged my DD1 into the amp (Pos into speaker out and neg onto ground). I Was setting the amp with my HU on 30/35 volume, where it doesn't clip according to the DD1. I used the 40hz - 5db tone and I noticed while setting the gain the moment the distortion light appeared on my DD1 I could hear a faint buzzing noise coming from the amp. As soon as I backed off and the light went off and the buzzing disappeared. I then played my amp at my set my volume and it sounded great.

To clarify I did disconnect my subs from the amp before using the DD1 and my truck was off. I should also mentioned I just used my 4 gauge wiring I have running through my truck for this test on two ohms/setting the gain quickly. I do have full 1/0 gauge OFC wiring for when I actually get my X12 subwoofer and have my box built. This test was to make sure it works after receiving the item.

Also when I turn my truck off from the accessory position I hear a light pop while the amp turns off.

Is this anything to be concerned about or is it normal in bigger amps. This is my first amp over 1k watts. Previously I had and still have an Alpine MRP-M1000.

Thanks guys! :)

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

The amp is over a year old. The 2000d hasn't been made in a few years

Yeap I'm aware it's 1-2 years old. He was a rep (I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere) and he used it for a year in his vehicle before upgrading. I should have mentioned it was used for a year.

Yeah it's discontinued. It makes sense though if you have a 1500 and a 2500 there's really no point in a 2k.

Edited by Syphlyn

The buzz is perfectly normal RIGHT at clipping.

Your fine.

How about the pop when I turn my key off? Is that normal too? Could it be from only using 4 gauge, mind you I was running it at 2 ohm which is apparently 1k watts.

Edit: Yeap the DD1 showed clipping at the exact moment the buzzing started. Thanks man! Good to know was worried for a bit.

Edited by Syphlyn

The pop, is all on your end. Thats your turn on needing a lil delay. Where are you getting the turn on from?

and yes,.. the buzz, as discussed here before, many times... is perfectly normal. My 10k did it along with 3 other amps. We actually joked if we could use just the BUZZ to set the gain.... Damore was in the discussion even.

Dont worry about it.

The POP, is on your end. Thats a very common problem with turn on.

The pop, is all on your end. Thats your turn on needing a lil delay. Where are you getting the turn on from?

and yes,.. the buzz, as discussed here before, many times... is perfectly normal. My 10k did it along with 3 other amps. We actually joked if we could use just the BUZZ to set the gain.... Damore was in the discussion even.

Dont worry about it.

The POP, is on your end. Thats a very common problem with turn on.

The turn on? From my headunits remote wire. I spliced into it using my 16 gauges OFC wire. and ran it back to the amp. The pop only happens when turning OFF my power not on. Also running a second amp (PDX-F4) off the same run. So I have 1 remote run from my HU going to the 2000D and then from there a shorter 16 gauge wire from the 2000D to my PDX-F4.

Should I be concerned and try to fix it even though I'm not sure how.

Edited by Syphlyn

Add a relay for your remote wire, there is power going to amps even after vehicle is off (for a split second)

Also, as said above that buzzing is normal at or above clipping on the DD-1. I run the same amps as Steve Meade and all 4 of mine do it.

EDIT: In theory running 2 things off the remote is fine (IMO) but since you are having the issue just add a relay, if that doesn't work come on back and tell us. Also, even though you could use like 18+ gauge wire for remote maybe you could try using 14 ga. or something also. I noticed when using 18 ga. I have a hell of a time getting my RF amps to grab it, the input for remote is large on these amps so I could prolly run a larger wire. (not anything to do with your problem but meh)

Edited by Karkov

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0