Sundown Audio

Amp issues

Chris Strausbaugh

Voltage is normal. 12 something with car off and 13 something running. Amp is sound stream pca2000d. Had it running at 4ohms which is rated at 1100rms. Other amp I have works fine so I know it's the amp but not sure exactly what. Looked inside amp and its clean. I figured some caps were bad but they look good.

Check your ground. By check I mean remove, re-sand, and re-bolt on.

While you think it could be the amp, it might not.

That rockford amp could work perfectly for a little while longer than the cheaper soundstream under parasitic conditions.

Does it get hot? what sub are your running, and how is it wired to the amp? so whilst the amp is playing (high volume it's at 12 or 13 volts) then when it drops to low volume the amp is the same temp and the voltage stays the same? does it have a protection light on the amp?

Well the rockford amp has been working. I hooked up the soundstream amp that I had cause I got my gf a new sub and it can handle more power. So the rockford amp has been working flawlessly. Well once again it is wired to 4ohms. Amp does not get hook whatsoever. Funny thing is the rockford amp does though. Yeah voltage does roughly the same. Obviously it drops a bit when the volume is higher but it doesn't go below 12. No protection light does not come on.

its the voltage.. test it with amp playing.. what wattage is the fosgate?.. how did you set the gains? what does your electrical consist of? is it clipping?

Fosgate is only 320 RMS. Sound stream is 1100 at 4 ohms. I Dont see any real voltage drop on either amp. Electrical is stock but I'd think if it were the voltage id see it drop a good bit. Doesn't go below 12 at all. I set the gain with a dmm and by ear but can't really get accurate with the issue I'm having. I tried leaving the gain way down and it still doesn't help it. Thinking about replacing all the caps and see if that helps.

Archived