Second Skin Audio

Will I lose output if my port is not loading off anything close?

Syphlyn

I've never played around in your particular truck but when i had my extended cab dodge i was told to fire and port down and it made a big difference. I noticed it hit harder and sounded a little louder. It made so much more flex in my truck not having any sound deadener that it broke my moonvisor....just a thought

Do you mean fire up and port down? Also port down as in to the sides like in my wonderful image?

FcXb2qJ.png

I don't think this will work as the width and depth are different do in the pic above the port height goes from 15.5 to 16.5 resulting in a smaller box and a higher tuning...

edit: If i make the box height 27 inches and change the port length to 16.5 I get the same results with more port area. I would have have 6.5 inches of clearance between the end of the port and the top of my box...

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loading ports is always a mixed bag. No matter how much plotting or graphing you do when designing, there is always going to be that whole thing about never knowing for sure until you test it.

That being said, I would of course never place it closer to any panel than the width of the port, however, even being the width of the port away still adds to the effective port length and changes tuning. Going further away from panels will generally creat a gain in output, due to not restricting the port. There is a limit to how far away though. So what I'm saying is even with a 3" wide port, staying 3" from a panel is not enough, and will increase effective port length and therefore affect performance and tuning.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

no i set my box up 6 inches from the floor and fired sub and port both down. You said you removed the back seat correct? If so you should have plenty of room to do whatever you want honestly

Yeap I have W: 17 | D: 18 | H: roughly 26 to work with. Feel free to suggest anything man. Looking for something around 30-32 tuning wise. Building your first box is difficult at least while trying to get the best output possible. This would be much easier in a trunk haha...

Loading ports is always a mixed bag. No matter how much plotting or graphing you do when designing, there is always going to be that whole thing about never knowing for sure until you test it.

That being said, I would of course never place it closer to any panel than the width of the port, however, even being the width of the port away still adds to the effective port length and changes tuning. Going further away from panels will generally creat a gain in output, due to not restricting the port. There is a limit to how far away though. So what I'm saying is even with a 3" wide port, staying 3" from a panel is not enough, and will increase effective port length and therefore affect performance and tuning.

Hmm okay so firing it towards the driver door is a no no. I believe the door is probably more realistically 2.5 inches or so away...

Try that first design, firing down. And you can play with different heights (from the floor) to find the best output.

Orionstangs advice is worth a shot, since you can only do so much in this situation.

So maybe build the box as is and see how it sounds then flip it upside down and play around with height from the floor? Like many people say it's hard to tell until it's actually built and functional.

if I may ask what year is this truck

2000 f150 4.6 v8