New To Home Audio

Okay, so before I start, I will go ahead and let you guys know that I am more than familiar with the specifics of audio. I understand ohmage, amperage, and all the ins and outs. But, I have never built a home stereo from scratch. I need to know where is a good place to start. I have no idea what to look for in a reciever, or if I need an amplifier to go with it, and all that stuff. I'm hoping you guys can help me find a good place to start. I'd have to set a budget of about $400 on a reciever. When it comes to subs and other speakers, I'd like to have it setup as a 5.2 surround. My concern is this...is it possible to buy a 5.1 reciever, and split the subwoofer signal? This is the kind of stuff I don't know, and will need help with.

mivtCK.png

You can check out the thread in my sig to my home audio project.

I bought an Onkyo receiver and use it to power my stereo setup, but it can go all the way to 7.1 or 7.2 with multiple variations for the last 2 channels.

If you need any more info on it you can ask me on here or in my thread.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I would go with Yamaha or a Marantz reciever. Pioneer Elite is good too (their other lines are junk IMHO). Get a reciever that does HD audio formats and video passthrough for a PCM signal.

Basically if you get a reciever that can run 70watts per channel and its 5.1 capable with handling for the dobly, dts, THX formats, as well as PCM passthrough for HDMI, has at least three HDMI in/outs and can be programmed easily you will be good to go.

If you are looking for speakers I would highly recomend a kit. Or a proven design if you are cool with building crossovers.

Speaker Kits:

GR Research

Madisound

Creative Sound Solutions (in canada)

PartsExpress (has a entire section on designs and info on them under techtalk)

Dayton Audio (they have a couple kits on PartsExpress that you can look up)

Sub:

Basically a good home audio sub is going to have a lot of the same requirements that you would have in a car audio sub. Look at the infinite baffle setups. A good quality, sealed/ported 8-15" would do nicely with a plate amplifer that you can get from madisound or partsexpress

if you want to run two there are a lot of recievers that can do 5.2 or 7.2. Also if you are running a 5.1 setup on a 7.1 receiver I have see people get the signal for the subs from a RCA output but really its going to depend on the amp you get. So to explain a little further like what fackicker said, run a RCA/Sub out from the reciever to the RCAs or sub in on a 2-channel amp and you can run two subs off ther two channel amp.

most home theater power rating are over rated when running all channels.. so when you look at that make sure it says the power is made with all channels driven.. Might say might not .. this is why i run separates.. for subwoofer crown has a few rack amps that has rca inputs that are nice id get one of those those if building your own subwoofer..

there are a few Actual home theater sites that can give you plenty of options on speakers building or buying them... parts express has a some nice speaker building tutorials....

Yeah I think mine is 80 W RMS Stereo 60W RMS.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived