Second Skin Audio

How can this design be improved upon??

Ritch40

This is an alteration to a design i posted several days back. The ports are a complete redesign.

This is 2 separate boxes bolted together for a pair of RE Audio sxx 15".

Net box volume is 3.448cuft tuned to 35Hz. The port is 12.5" by 5" opening and is 34" long.

Rear port velocity tops out at 51ft/sec at 32Hz with rated power.

I know it is a strange looking thing, To me the box will be able to compress decent seen as the sub isnt loading right into the port.

Any other configuration i could think of had at least 1 of several different issues. Like lack of room for mounting depth, sub loading into the port to name a couple.

I know many of you know the designing and such WAY better than I do. So please, any help and pointers you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance for any help or suggestions that you folks can offer up.

p.s.

-This will be mounted to the back wall of a semi's sleeper.

- the second rendering is to show port layout a little better. I also didnt color the port parts so they could be seen a little easier.mbox4_zpsd03460ec.jpgmbox3_zps06912acd.jpg

mbox2_zps5deb91b6.jpgmbox1_zps4dd43a44.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why dont you take off the 14x11 ends and make it one box... should give you about 9.2 cubes internal...roughly. kind of guestimating going by the pics..then run a single slot port....19.5x7x25 inches long. thats about 136 sqin of port opposed to running individual boxes with 62 sqin of port.. and still tuned at 34hz. like i said just guesstimating because its really hard to design without knowing exact power and such...but i bet it does way better considering the air isnt compressing down then making three turns...it would just be making one corner. and with having a bigger box like that its alot easier to run more port area and not have as much port length. also. you could find how much surface area your current ports have...then figure how much surface area a single slot port would have....and whichever one is the lowest should be more effiecient.

why dont you take off the 14x11 ends and make it one box... should give you about 9.2 cubes internal...roughly. kind of guestimating going by the pics..then run a single slot port....19.5x7x25 inches long. thats about 136 sqin of port opposed to running individual boxes with 62 sqin of port.. and still tuned at 34hz. like i said just guesstimating because its really hard to design without knowing exact power and such...but i bet it does way better considering the air isnt compressing down then making three turns...it would just be making one corner. and with having a bigger box like that its alot easier to run more port area and not have as much port length. also. you could find how much surface area your current ports have...then figure how much surface area a single slot port would have....and whichever one is the lowest should be more effiecient.

my fear is in doing this( and i will draw it up) that i will be loading right into the ports. Would doing the port horizontal instead of vertical create any issues in your mind?

Thank you

Just wondering, what vehicle are you going to put this enclosure in that it will have 84 inches or space across it for you to put an enclosure such as the one you drew up in it? Unless you had to use this shape and had no other options, I would go ahead and build one single chamber with a uniform height across the entire thing and a single port. The single larger port will give you much better efficiency, and save room. The box will be much easier to construct, and it will help you with having the problems involving lots of dead space which I can potentially see with your current port design.

I feel like that top space sitting above the ports. Is that sealed off from the port, or is it fully open? If it is sealed off, I feel like that space is almost useless and doesn't help with compressing the sound waves.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I feel like that top space sitting above the ports. Is that sealed off from the port, or is it fully open? If it is sealed off, I feel like that space is almost useless and doesn't help with compressing the sound waves.

Like I said I would assume that all of that air up there would just turn into deadspace.

OP that is going to effectively make your box volume smaller and change tuning due to the same amount of port but with different internal volume in the enclosure. Basically that area above the port will most likely just become a swirling air mass that everything else will just kind of slide over IMO.

Just wondering, what vehicle are you going to put this enclosure in that it will have 84 inches or space across it for you to put an enclosure such as the one you drew up in it? Unless you had to use this shape and had no other options, I would go ahead and build one single chamber with a uniform height across the entire thing and a single port. The single larger port will give you much better efficiency, and save room. The box will be much easier to construct, and it will help you with having the problems involving lots of dead space which I can potentially see with your current port design.

its going into the sleeper of my semi

Archived