Possible cheap sound deadening fix?

So I still haven't gotten around to fixing the noise of the plastic vibrating against the metal on my hatch because it really only happens at very loud volumes. I know the right way to do it but has anyone tried simply stuffing it full of old t-shirts or something to separate the plastic and metal? I have a whole garbage bag full of old shirts and stuff I was going to donate to goodwill but I figured it might be worth a shot because it is free? There is no window that goes up and down or anything so I could fill the entire thing if i wanted to and not just as a layer to separate the two.

I am having trouble finding good pictures of what I am talking about, but there are some in these threads:

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?6561-Cheap-Sound-Deadening

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/1991-jeep-cherokee-build-2001-a-49861/index4/

So far I am leaning towards just a couple shirts in between the metal and plastic because this is probably going to absorb sound rather than reflect it right? Or maybe the plastic being there is enough if it becomes stiff under the extra pressure of the stuffing? It wouldn't be that hard to undo I guess if it sucked.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So heres an idea. Look into JUTE padding.

Its what they use for thermal insulation, its a fiberous material but not ridiculous expensive and will deal with a lot of issues.

So saw a guy did a install with GT Liquid-damp (GTMat is the company) and then use JUTE padding which worked pretty, well it looked like it did from the pics. (Dude was a texas SQ champ with a red dodge) You are not adding mass as with using MLV or some other sound deadner but its a start and you can put a couple layers of liquidamp on it to get a little more mass.

a gallon of GT Liquid-damp is $50 and JUTE padding is anywhere from 40-60$ for 24 sq ft is the standard it looks like.

OR

what I would recomend is look at Raamaudio. For $160 you get butyl sound deadening and some closed cell foam. You would be spending a little more but its worth it since almost all of these are REALLY hard to remove. Think about a job that takes anywhere from 4-6 hours for just butyl application and then quadruple it (most likely) for having to take it off. Its a pain to get any of these products off.

And the asphalt products are worse...in almost every way.

Its what they use for thermal insulation, its a fiberous material but not ridiculous expensive and will deal with a lot of issues.

So saw a guy did a install with GT Liquid-damp (GTMat is the company) and then use JUTE padding which worked pretty, well it looked like it did from the pics. (Dude was a texas SQ champ with a red dodge) You are not adding mass as with using MLV or some other sound deadner but its a start and you can put a couple layers of liquidamp on it to get a little more mass.

a gallon of GT Liquid-damp is $50 and JUTE padding is anywhere from 40-60$ for 24 sq ft is the standard it looks like.

$90-110 for 24sq ft of this stuff you're talking about... He'd be better off getting some real sound deadening material for the same price range.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

$90-110 for 24sq ft of this stuff you're talking about... He'd be better off getting some real sound deadening material for the same price range.

That is real sound deadening material, do some research and I think you would find that out. Look inside a cadillac or any car other car, they typically use jute as a cheap alternative for sound and heat insulation. Its just cheaper then closed cell foam or butyl which is what a lot of people use. Some even use MLV which is not typical but it works.

mass to lower resonant freq. and then something to break up sound waves.

Archived