DC Sound Lab

just wandering how big of a port people recommend for a pair of lvl 3 12s on a aq2200d at .5

i got the box designed right now at 3.3 cubes after all displacements with an 8" aero. most of the port will be external. box will be in the trunk of my 2013 wrx and going to try facing them forward and sealing off from the trunk. i dont compete or anything. dont know anyone with a meter. i was thinking of trying a single 6" aero but idk if that will be enough port area. ive done some research and seen some setups with a single 4" aero for a single 12...and i watched rustys video on hitting 150 dbs and he used 3 4" aeros. i want it to be musical but also be able to catch the lows! i would really like to be able to hit down to about 27hz with authority if possible.

if you want to tune down there the port are is going to be small

Say your box was 3.32 gross, that would be 3 net and you used 1 4" round port external 14 inches long it would tune you to 27

With a 2200 watt amp at .5 ohms you are going to want to make sure its correct

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

Built by Competitors, for Competitors.

i apologize sir i made some typo's

i do not want to use a single 4" aero. i know that is way to small. i just want to see if i can use a single 6" aero. and im planning on tuning at about 36hz. just hoping i can hit down to 27.

im thinking about making a 7" octoport :) port length is down to 18 inches then opposed to 24" in length with an 8" aero

That's understandable. Problem is I don't just play down there i kind of play all over. I got stuff in the 20s and I got stuff in the high 40s.

I had 2 tens loaded isobarically tuned to 36-37 in 1.4 cubes after displacements with 33 inches of port and they would play down to 27 and never bat a eye at it.

But as far as what to tune to...I'll figure that out as I go. If it doesn't catch lows quite like I want them I'll adjust the tuning down. If it's missing to much the higher frequencies I'll adjust the tuning up. I know every sub...placement and tuning is going to give different results. I'm fine with that. My port will be removable so adjusting will be easier.

My main question is port area. How much port area won't be enough. A single 6" aero doesn't seem like enough but there are so many people who run a single 6 with a dual 12 setup and don't have problems

ok i get it now. i found the minumum port area equation and spent the last two days figuring it out and the woofers i seen with a single 6" aero just dont require as much port area therefore they can get away with a single 6" aero! and i need at least 40sq in port for my level 3s so a single 6" aero wont work for me.

thanks for your help rusty!