Second Skin Audio

Sundown Audio Sa-15 Box

dannyjdm

This is my first time designing a box. I have a Sundown Audio Sa15 d2. I currently have it in a pre fab box which is horrible.

The new box I designed is an L-Port with demensions 17x32x17 using 3/4" wood. The port is 15.5x3x30. According to Torres its tuned to 32hz and has a net volume of 3.23ft^3. Do you guys have any suggestions or is there anything wrong with the box?

FfyGuKm.jpgJuJh3Xh.jpg

Here is a suggestion, power: to sub(s) rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 3 1/4", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

sa15.jpg

1SFPFno45s_zps74ec662c.jpg

So that you know, the center line length of the port is 34 1/8". Regarding your question, the internal end of the L port must stay at least twice it's width from the side wall so that it's not choked or tunes lower than expected.

Here is a suggestion, power: to sub(s) rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 3 1/4", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

sa15.jpg

1SFPFno45s_zps74ec662c.jpg

So that you know, the center line length of the port is 34 1/8". Regarding your question, the internal end of the L port must stay at least twice it's width from the side wall so that it's not choked or tunes lower than expected.

You are Awesome thanks bro! I'll be building it soon thanks for the help! How do I round the edges? By sanding them down or is there a more efficient way?

• 1 month later...

Also, if you are going to face the sub and port into the cab of the car, it won't sound all that great without sealing it probably. Pressure will escape into the rear trunk area, behind the box and cut the output of the sub down a lot. Best way to front fire is to wall the box off (seal around the space around the box). I'm sure someone else could explain or elaborate on this better than I, but rear firing would be the best way to go if you don't want to do a wall.

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

Archived